Sony KDL40EX503 Discussions

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    bigsis wrote: »
    I've just had phone call and that have agreed to price match so I'm a happy bunny. Can't wait to buy it now :D

Well done.

I think you will be pleased with the purchase.
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had phone call and that have agreed to price match so I'm a happy bunny. Can't wait to buy it now :D

I'm glad it worked out for you .

Do i get a commission ? :D
  • bigsisbigsis Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My TV arrived today and I am more than happy with it, I really love it. Stand was easy to set up and the auto tuning was a doddle although at first I got all welsh channels but after doing another auto tune the welsh channels disappeared. HD looks great on it too, just need a usb dongle now to access Internet content.

Thank you everyone and apologies again to OP for hijacking his thread.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would it be unlikely?, otherwise if you lose the remote do you leave the set running?.

As I've mentioned previously, older Sony sets enter a 'super-low' standby when you press the button on the TV, and can't be bought back on from the remote.

I don't think any Sony LCD's have had ON/OFF switches, only the Vestel types seem to.
    Looks like we were talking cross purpose. When I said switch I was talking about a "rocker" type switch as seen the HX703 (and Vestels! But apparently not on the OP's 503) as opposed to a button.

It is in addition to the standby button and is referred to as low power.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a KDL40EX703 which is excellent too. Regarding the WiFi Dongle I have decided that, instead of spending £80 on the Sony bespoke version, I will spend the same amount of money on a Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge device, and then connect via the TV's Ethernet socket.

This of course requires you to have a Wireless N Router or Access Point, but you would need that anyway with the Sony Stick.

The advantage of this solution is that you can buy a device with active antennas etc. improving performance, and you can add a switch in future to add more devices (such as an Ethernet Enabled DVD player or PVR) to the network.

The disadvantage is that the Wireless Bridge requires a power source, which takes up yet another socket, and is another 'power vampire' using energy when the TV is not in use.

Before anyone says 'use a cable', that isn't an acceptable solution..... for my wife! The route is too tortuous and we don't have carpets to hide the cable underneath. Stapling metres of skirting boards is a non-starter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    imanewby wrote: »
    Thanks Josem,

Is BBC Iplayer available and if so did you get it to work.

BBC iPlayer was supposed to be released at the end of March but technical problems have but this back to an unspecified date.

-Demand Five is due for release in the second week in April.
    -ITV player will be available by June.
    -Sony have yet to announce 4OD availability but they have said they are working on it.
    -loveFilm will be updated mid-April to provide account management and DVD/BD ordering.

Sony will also put their own premium ppv movie service, Qirocity, on the Bravia Internet Video service when it becomes available in Europe, probably late 2010.

Sony are also looking at putting a full web browser on the Bravia platform. Probably the same browser, NetFront, from Access-Company that they are putting on the corresponding 2010 range of BluRay players.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Carryo.

Colin_London lets us know if the wireless-n ethernet bridge works and at what cost.
    Forum Member
    My TV arrived today and I am more than happy with it, I really love it. Stand was easy to set up and the auto tuning was a doddle although at first I got all welsh channels but after doing another auto tune the welsh channels disappeared. HD looks great on it too, just need a usb dongle now to access Internet content.

Thank you everyone and apologies again to OP for hijacking his thread.

Not a problem, means more people to discuss setups.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I have a KDL40EX703 which is excellent too. Regarding the WiFi Dongle I have decided that, instead of spending £80 on the Sony bespoke version, I will spend the same amount of money on a Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge device, and then connect via the TV's Ethernet socket.

This of course requires you to have a Wireless N Router or Access Point, but you would need that anyway with the Sony Stick.

The advantage of this solution is that you can buy a device with active antennas etc. improving performance, and you can add a switch in future to add more devices (such as an Ethernet Enabled DVD player or PVR) to the network.

The disadvantage is that the Wireless Bridge requires a power source, which takes up yet another socket, and is another 'power vampire' using energy when the TV is not in use.

Before anyone says 'use a cable', that isn't an acceptable solution..... for my wife! The route is too tortuous and we don't have carpets to hide the cable underneath. Stapling metres of skirting boards is a non-starter.

I cam up with a simple and cheap wired solution that cost half the price of the Sony USB dongle , namely a homeplug off Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-Pack-Homeplug-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B000SO94FA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270872995&sr=8-4
    Cost a little over £40 inc P&P and is super reliable.
    Forum Member
    josem wrote: »
    I cam up with a simple and cheap wired solution that cost half the price of the Sony USB dongle , namely a homeplug off Amazon

Did this work straight out of the box with your Sony TV.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would it be unlikely?, otherwise if you lose the remote do you leave the set running?.

As I've mentioned previously, older Sony sets enter a 'super-low' standby when you press the button on the TV, and can't be bought back on from the remote.

I don't think any Sony LCD's have had ON/OFF switches, only the Vestel types seem to.

My Sony KDL-40W4000 turns off completely with the switch on the top (can't be turned back on with the remote)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,498
    Forum Member
    My Sony KDL-40W4000 turns off completely with the switch on the top (can't be turned back on with the remote)

No it doesn't, it just enters a 'super-low' standby mode, where you can only bring it back on from the switch on the set. The switch is merely an input to the processor, which obviously must be powered for the switch press to be detected.

This is how the vast majority of sets work now, VERY few have an actual on/off switch.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it doesn't, it just enters a 'super-low' standby mode, where you can only bring it back on from the switch on the set. The switch is merely an input to the processor, which obviously must be powered for the switch press to be detected.

This is how the vast majority of sets work now, VERY few have an actual on/off switch.

I've played with a KDL-32EX403, similar 'guts' to the set under discussion, and the remote for that has an On/Off switch on the back ! in addition to the normal standby/on switch on the front. Could that be the On/Off switch, though of course it could only put the TV into 'deep' standby.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Checked the manual and you are right Nigel. Sby power consumption 0.19W or less. In sby 16H/day uses about 15p's worth of Electricity per annum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Did this work straight out of the box with your Sony TV.

Yes it does, amazingly simple. 1 ethernet cable plugged into the back of your wireless router and then to a homeplug device plugged into a convenient nearby socket.

A second ethernet cable plugged into the back of the TV and then 2 a second homeplug device plugged into a second socket near the TV.

Absolutely no set-up required, simply plug and play, my homeplugs are both plugged into 4-socket extension leads so they don't even need to be plugged directly into your wall sockets.

They do supply a software CD which you can use to identify how many homeplugs are on your network, but just not needed.

Think I will buy some more to use in the house where I have weak wireless signals
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Carryo.

Colin_London lets us know if the wireless-n ethernet bridge works and at what cost.

Got the Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge yesterday - ordered it off Amazon from a German company:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINKSYS-Wireless-N-Ethernet-Bridge-Dual-Band/dp/B0028R7RFO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271192759&sr=8-1

I don't know how the price of £84 compares with a Homeplug; you also need a Wireless N Router or Access Point for it to work to its full potential.

The reason I bought this particular bridge is because it is dual band - I network using 802.11n on the 5GHz band as it is completely vacant where I live, compared with the 2.4GHz band which is now getting extremely crowded. There are other devices available - I considered one device with four Ethernet ports from Buffalo.

The device is 'draft-N' so the Air Interface is limited to 300Mbps simplex. This gives about 75Mbps throughput. Realistic throughput is probably around about 50Mbps, but this is way in excess of my ADSL broadband capability (14Mbps) and of any HD streaming requirement.

Had a bit of a false start as I first tried to network my Blu-Ray player which is supposed to have BBC iPlayer in addition to the other Sony content. This performed extremely poorly - almost dial-up speed loading of content, and I couldn't get any iPlayer videos to work. I thought it was the fault of the bridge.

However, have now tried connecting the TV and it works a dream. Internet content (including film trailers and You Tube) loads fast and plays without a glitch, with some HD content as well.

Can't wait for iPlayer on the TV now, but think I'll give up on the Blu-Ray player as a gateway as it appears to be hideously underpowered in comparison.

(As an aside, will the fact that you can now buy TV's with iPlayer built in without any sort of subscription blow a hole in the business model of some other companies offering it as part of a package?).

The bridge is easy to set up - you just need to temporarily cable connect it to your router to input the Wireless Settings, but after that you can disconnect and locate it anywhere. Any device connected to the bridge appears as if it is directly cable connected to your router.
    Forum Member
    Decided to go the easier route and have just ordered the Sony Dongle UWA-BR100 for £69.99 direct from Sony with free next day delivery.

Beware, if you are going down this route as the price varies between Sonys' online stores. The 2 nearest me, one had it up for £69.99 and the other £99.99 online and both were £79.99 in the actual stores.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I have just ordered the KDL46EX403 as Argos are doing it for a very reasonable £799 at the moment ( need to use £50 discount code to get at this price).

Am I right in thinking that the main difference between this model and the EX503 is the motionflow 100Hz ? The EX403 also has Freeview HD and internet ready etc. but would be useful to know if there are any other major differences.

I was very interested in getting the EX503 but the price difference between too great and would have cost me an extra £400.
  • andysuthandysuth Posts: 52
    Forum Member

Dagnamit!

I bought one of these from JL YESTERDAY!!!!

I paid £700, Whytes had them for £635 delivered.

I'll be using that phone number today.

-Andy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Can anyone offer advice on connecting the 40EX503 to a network?

I'm using a straight Ethernet cable into our network (which works fine with the BlueRay S370). I've tried Internet Connection / Network Setup / View Network Status, which gives:

Connection Method: Wired
    Cable Connection: OK
    IP Address: 169.254.55.200
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0.
    Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    MAC Address: 54.42.49.1B.CD.90
    Proxy Server: Not used

Trying the Connection I get:

Local Access: Failed
    Internet Access: Failed

Would appreciate any clues. Sony Support are calling back as the frontline guy wasn't familiar with this kit.

Thanks.
  • bigsisbigsis Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decided to go the easier route and have just ordered the Sony Dongle UWA-BR100 for £69.99 direct from Sony with free next day delivery.

Beware, if you are going down this route as the price varies between Sonys' online stores. The 2 nearest me, one had it up for £69.99 and the other £99.99 online and both were £79.99 in the actual stores.

Thanks for the info hun, I'm after that dongle too. Will you let us know how you get on with it?

Thanks.
  • ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Motopaki wrote: »
    Can anyone offer advice on connecting the 40EX503 to a network?

I'm using a straight Ethernet cable into our network (which works fine with the BlueRay S370). I've tried Internet Connection / Network Setup / View Network Status, which gives:

IP Address: 169.254.55.200
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0.
    Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    MAC Address: 54.42.49.1B.CD.90
    Proxy Server: Not used

Trying the Connection I get:

Local Access: Failed
    Internet Access: Failed

Would appreciate any clues. Sony Support are calling back as the frontline guy wasn't familiar with this kit.

Thanks.

I don't have this TV or have ever tried to setup a TV with a network port but those IP numbers look completely wrong to me, 169.254.x.x number are usually generated when a machine is trying to access a DHCP to obtain an IP address and fails, it then signs its self this 169.254.x.x address.

I would expect to see something like this

IP Address: 192.168.0.3/192.168.1.3 (depends on number of devices and router)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1/192.168.1.1 (depends on router)
    Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1/192.168.1.1

Basically it says to me that the TV cannot get the IP address from your router, don't know if you can manually set the details in the TV for your network.
    Forum Member
    don't know if you can manually set the details in the TV for your network.

Thanks, Chanfron - no, can't see I can. Sony UK called back (not bad - 2 hours) but missed their call, so will report when I've made contact.
    Forum Member
    Helpful Sony guy called back again, but needed to escalate the query higher up their support chain.

In the meantime, BT Broadband (our ISP) suggested opening up Port 80 on our hub, but not a clue what that entails.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info hun, I'm after that dongle too. Will you let us know how you get on with it?

Thanks.

Hopefully will be delivered today, so i should be able to try it out tonight, will report back asap.