Options

Why do most people seem to want to force everyone to work so much?

Comments

• Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lazy good-for-nothing layabout.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ginock wrote: »
    I would quite happily work a 6 day week if I could.

I'm sure if I was a pop star or actor, I'd work 24/7, but I wouldn't want to have to.
  • Options
    bluebroombluebroom Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but by the same token, there are working people who use their money to pay for goods made by people forced to work for cheap labour.

They too should look at themselves.

sad isn't it

catch 22
    whats the answer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    But in your case, youn do absolutely sweet FA, and expect a lifestyle to be paid for by others. That's why working people here often show such resentment towards you. You're a freeloader, the same as wandering into a pub and drinking everyone else's beer, but on a grander scale. If you'd pull your bloody finger out, I wouldn't have to work sop hard as my taxes would be lower. Maybe I could just work 2 or 3 days a week then.

Well said.
    shinytoy wrote: »
    I'd like to become a brickie, but at the moment I'm better off claiming DLA and ESA so why shouldn't I claim? If minimum wage was better then I'd love to work :(

Motivation? Drive? Something to be proud of?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member
    Yes but by the same token, there are working people who use their money to pay for goods made by people forced to work for cheap labour.

They too should look at themselves.

Not by the same token at all, entirely irrelevant to your OP in fact. No-one is approving of forced cheap and illegal labour when they suugest they want people to work rather than make a parasitic life choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bluebroom wrote: »
    sad isn't it

catch 22
    whats the answer?

We try to create work that is sustainable as a level that allows us all to work as little as possible.

Like a previous poster said, we are working to make other people rich, not to keep us all at a reasonable level,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lou-kate wrote: »
    Not by the same token at all, entirely irrelevant to your OP in fact. No-one is approving of forced cheap and illegal labour when they suugest they want people to work rather than make a parasitic life choice.

THey are if they know they would be forced to work for a society that promotes cheap labour as ours does and is going to make things worse.

Anyone who wouldn't want to work in a fair society may fall into your opinion but not now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We try to create work that is sustainable as a level that allows us all to work as little as possible.

Like a previous poster said, we are working to make other people rich, not to keep us all at a reasonable level,

last job i had was at the local university, i didn't feel i was making anyone rich rather just make the uni work better - thats ok - education is good and i was happy to work there

i think you have to be happy for me anyway in your philosophy in life with who you work for
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    bluebroom wrote: »
    sad isn't it

catch 22
    whats the answer?

We are paying less for the (mostly) non-essentials, but more for the essentials, such as housing. Also, the list of things that people see as essential has increased. Fuel isn't essential unless you have a car, but you often need a car to get to work. That's a nice catch 22 all of its own.

How many people are working hard because they enjoy what they do, or at least see the value of their labours to society, and how many are working hard at something that they don't really see as worthwhile because they are either terrified of losing their jobs or because they can't survive on the basic pay?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    You really don't see how you are trapped in a work ethic mind?

I just want to live without having to work hard for it.

Imagine if you were born with all the money you needed, would you really spend 8hrs a day doing something you didn't want to?

If you want to live without having to work hard for it, you can do. You simply have to adjust your expectation of what you can do, ownm eat etc. I don't believe in forcing anyone to work, it should be entirely up to the individual. If they have legitimately been left money, then good for them.
    However, I'm also a believer that money is purely a representation of how hard you work, and how in-demand you can make your skills in order to use them to add value to society.

That isn't a "work ethic", that's just life.
    If someone wants to work 90 hours a week to afford them goods and better food and holidays then let them be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    THey are if they know they would be forced to work for a society that promotes cheap labour as ours does and is going to make things worse.

Anyone who wouldn't want to work in a fair society may fall into your opinion but not now.

Illegal labour is an entirely different issue to you not thinking minimum wage is worth your while getting off your arse for. The fact that there is a benefit system that encourages you in that view point is unhelpful, but it does not mean our society promotes cheap labour. Get some qualifications, work you way up in an organisation if you feel minimum wage is not enough, but don't sit about sponging whilst moaning about how unfair it all is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    If you want to live without having to work hard for it, you can do. You simply have to adjust your expectation of what you can do, ownm eat etc. I don't believe in forcing anyone to work, it should be entirely up to the individual. If they have legitimately been left money, then good for them.
    However, I'm also a believer that money is purely a representation of how hard you work, and how in-demand you can make your skills in order to use them to add value to society.

That isn't a "work ethic", that's just life.
    If someone wants to work 90 hours a week to afford them goods and better food and holidays then let them be.

I'll let them be if they don't complain. They chose to work 90 hrs, I didn't force them to.

Even the 40hrs workers shouldn't complain, because it isn't the fact that I don't work that makes them work that long, it is because they won't change the system, either out of fear or greed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Illegal labour is an entirely different issue to you not thinking minimum wage is worth your while getting off your arse for. The fact that their is a benefit system that encourages you in that view point is unhelpful, but it does not mean our society promotes cheap labour. Get some qualifications, work you way up in an organisation if you feel minimum wage is not enough, but don't sit about sponging whilst moaning about how unfair it all is.

I'm happy to sit sponging and moaning about how unfair it all is. :)

Nothing I do individually will matter to you. You won't get any more tax back if I work or not.

All you'll get is a sense of revenge that you have forced me to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm happy to sit sponging and moaning about how unfair it all is. :)

Nothing I do individually will matter to you. You won't get any more tax back if I work or not.

All you'll get is a sense of revenge that you have forced me to work.

I understand that you are happy to be a parasite. That is clear.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the 40hrs workers shouldn't complain, because it isn't the fact that I don't work that makes them work that long, it is because they won't change the system, either out of fear or greed.

There is no possible system in which your non-working lifestyle could be enabled without other people having to do work to support you. Those people who work so that you don't have to are never going to like you for it. If you're happy about it, then you're a greater evil than anything you perceive wrong with the system.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I'll let them be if they don't complain. They chose to work 90 hrs, I didn't force them to.

Well, we're all happy then. I'm happy for people to work 0 hours per week. They just need to be content with the fact that they will recieve no money. They can forage on public land! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    We are paying less for the (mostly) non-essentials, but more for the essentials, such as housing. Also, the list of things that people see as essential has increased. Fuel isn't essential unless you have a car, but you often need a car to get to work. That's a nice catch 22 all of its own.

How many people are working hard because they enjoy what they do, or at least see the value of their labours to society, and how many are working hard at something that they don't really see as worthwhile because they are either terrified of losing their jobs or because they can't survive on the basic pay?

dont know
    i guess its all down to education and training (plus familial /friends life/influence)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hate to burst your little bubble. But some of my relatives who live in the now defunct GDR ( old East Germany ) lived in a society geared towards the common good and not capitalism. They all had enough to eat, and were guaranted housing, BUT the housing was small and cramped and the choice of food limited. The same went for clothing.
    Also, they still all had to work a 5 day week.
    You had to put your name on a waiting list for 15 years before you got allocated a trabant.
    Yes, you too would have been looked after by the larger society, but playstations, tvs and so on would not have been part of that !
    So think carefully before making sweeping statements.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I freaking lazy people who sit home and watch day time TV while people like myself go out and work 9 to freaking 5!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand that you are happy to be a parasite. That is clear.

I'm happy taking my fair share of life.

But keep fooling yourself that you are not a parasite on other people too.

It isn't your fault people are starving in Africa is it?
  • Options
    shinytoyshinytoy Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the second big con we've fallen for. We have been conditioned to attack those at the bottom (or with disabilities) for the problems of society rather than the real culprits, who are the rich who control and direct things.

We are blaming the person near the back of the bus for it going off in the wrong direction rather than the person at the steering wheel.
    Well ****ing said.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    That's the second big con we've fallen for. We have been conditioned to attack those at the bottom (or with disabilities) for the problems of society rather than the real culprits, who are the rich who control and direct things.

We are blaming the person near the back of the bus for it going off in the wrong direction rather than the person at the steering wheel.

If I believed that mild autism was actually a 'disability' I'd be right with you. If the bloke was in a wheelchair, had one arm, or life threatening heart problems, it's a disability. What he actually has is not even a mental illness. He simply winds people up. As I say, a relatively isolated job with a fixed problem that needs solving is ideal, and there's a fair number of jobs that fit that description. Really, he could do quite well, most of those jobs are quite well paid. As for shinytoy, based on his posts so far, I'd recommend a career that involves hititng things with hammers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    There is no possible system in which your non-working lifestyle could be enabled without other people having to do work to support you. Those people who work so that you don't have to are never going to like you for it. If you're happy about it, then you're a greater evil than anything you perceive wrong with the system.

In this thread, I'm just talking about people being able to do enough work to do their fair share.

I believe 3 days is enough.

Working 40hrs a week is too much.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    LQS wrote: »
    Hate to burst your little bubble. But some of my relatives who live in the now defunct GDR ( old East Germany ) lived in a society geared towards the common good and not capitalism. They all had enough to eat, and were guaranted housing, BUT the housing was small and cramped and the choice of food limited. The same went for clothing.
    Also, they still all had to work a 5 day week.
    You had to put your name on a waiting list for 15 years before you got allocated a trabant.
    Yes, you too would have been looked after by the larger society, but playstations, tvs and so on would not have been part of that !
    So think carefully before making sweeping statements.

People always seem to bring up the old Eastern Bloc states and communism when this sort of thing is discussed. There is plenty of room in the middle between what we have now and what they had.

For years the UK has come lower in standard of living assessments than many of our neighbours. Perhaps we should tackle that? A large factor in that lower score is spending less time with friends and family and more time at work or commuting.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    In this thread, I'm just talking about people being able to do enough work to do their fair share.

I believe 3 days is enough.

Working 40hrs a week is too much.

It's true, in as far as if we all worked 30 odd hours, there might be a job for everyone. But there wouldn't be the tax revenue to pay benefits to idle gits. They would all have to do their 30 hours, or the country would go bust.