Breastfeeding Lady

Comments

• That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    Magwash wrote: »
    So why do we have indecent exposure laws then? Nudity in public is not acceptable in our culture.

My arse isn't there for sexual reasons so does that mean I can drop my trousers and cack on the table in a cafe?
    Nudity is only illegal in the UK if it's intended to "harass, alarm or distress". In practice it's far more difficult than that though as it depends on the so many peoples' interpretation.
  • MagwashMagwash Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Bloke wrote: »
    Nudity is only illegal in the UK if it's intended to "harass, alarm or distress". In practice it's far more difficult than that though as it depends on the so many peoples' interpretation.

Well I'd certainly be alarmed and distressed if some militant breastfeeder whipped her milk bags out in front of me :eek:

And they know this, thats why they do it
    Forum Member
    Well I'd certainly be alarmed and distressed if some militant breastfeeder whipped her milk bags out in front of me :eek:

Under that new Discrimination Act that came in at the end of the last Government it's now an offence to discriminate against a woman who is breastfeeding, so it would actually be illegal for the restaurant manager to ask her to move.

However, I do agree completely that there are (I love that phrase!) "militant breastfeeders" who will do it to get a reaction. The reality is that most women who are breastfeeding purely for the child will do it in such a way as you probably won't even notice.

That's why I made the point that yes, women have the right to breastfeed in public, but they don't have the right to privacy (i.e. not being looked at) if they do. I'm not suggesting we all whip out our mobiles and record it, but they have to accept that's a possibility.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, I do agree completely that there are (I love that phrase!) "militant breastfeeders" who will do it to get a reaction.

Yep, you can spot them easily, they are the ones in camoflage and warpaint, lol ;)
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Militant breast feeders? Breastfeeding being compared to taking a dump? Cocks on tables? I admit that this is the first DS thread i've read about breastfeeding but i'm surprised by some of the views and think Chris Morris is filming us for some parody....Gosh , talk about overreaction..I think this thread will run and run...:rolleyes:
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under that new Discrimination Act that came in at the end of the last Government it's now an offence to discriminate against a woman who is breastfeeding, so it would actually be illegal for the restaurant manager to ask her to move.

However, I do agree completely that there are (I love that phrase!) "militant breastfeeders" who will do it to get a reaction. The reality is that most women who are breastfeeding purely for the child will do it in such a way as you probably won't even notice.

That's why I made the point that yes, women have the right to breastfeed in public, but they don't have the right to privacy (i.e. not being looked at) if they do. I'm not suggesting we all whip out our mobiles and record it, but they have to accept that's a possibility.

Is it actually illegal to ask her to be more discrete though? I don't think many people would object (or even give a second glance) to a woman breastfeeding in the corner of a cafe.

If she was sat on a table in the middle, shirt off, boobs flopping, baby squelching, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask her to possibly move.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadyCake wrote: »
    Militant breast feeders? Breastfeeding being compared to taking a dump? Cocks on tables? I admit that this is the first DS thread i've read about breastfeeding but i'm surprised by some of the views and think Chris Morris is filing us for some parody....Gosh , talk about overreaction..I think this thread will run and run...:rolleyes:

How exactly is breastfeeding different to taking a dump? Both are totally natural activities.

Everything else is cultural window-dressing, that has nothing to do with the activities themselves.
    Forum Member
    Militant breast feeders? Breastfeeding being compared to taking a dump? Cocks on tables? I admit that this is the first DS thread i've read about breastfeeding but i'm surprised by some of the views and think Chris Morris is filing us for some parody....Gosh , talk about overreaction..I think this thread will run and run...:rolleyes:
    They always do though lol. "militant breastfeeders" is probably taking it a bit far, but there ARE always a tiny minority of all groups who want to prove points. I have no doubt whatsoever that there will be a few women who will try to provoke a reaction so that they can enforce the right in court.
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Is it actually illegal to ask her to be more discrete though? I don't think many people would object (or even give a second glance) to a woman breastfeeding in the corner of a cafe.

If she was sat on a table in the middle, shirt off, boobs flopping, baby squelching, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask her to possibly move.
    I don't know the details, but as I said above, I doubt we'll have too long to find out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Militant breast feeders? Breastfeeding being compared to taking a dump? Cocks on tables? I admit that this is the first DS thread i've read about breastfeeding but i'm surprised by some of the views and think Chris Morris is filming us for some parody....Gosh , talk about overreaction..I think this thread will run and run...:rolleyes:

You're the one who advocated breasts out in public, and some of us wonder on that basis whether its OK to expose other parts of the body out and perform natural functions. Hardly an overreaction.
  • bluebroombluebroom Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I saw it, I WOULD be disturbed...and would be tempted to poke the pair of them back into their lair with the tip of my brolly...

if I had one.

Otherwise, just not give a damn....apart from being embarrassed for the poor cow with her pendulous jugs out on the bus.

pmsl :D:D:D
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm astonished at the posts on here. I have yet to see a woman breast feeding in public....now I am either, very unobservant, breastfeeding is very rare or women are doing it discreetly so I havent noticed.

I dunno, maybe its just where I live but I have travelled about a bit so somehow doubt that.

I breastfed and did so in public and I cant say I ever saw anyone looking at me. Its actually really difficult to be indiscreet because a babys head is significantly bigget than a boob and the most that would be on show is the outer portion of the breast......a bit of shawl draping hides that.

I do recall however breast feeding at home when we had friends round and tucking myself out the way in the bay window behind the curtain....it was a long while ago and I didnt have central heating so the other rooms were cold. I thought I had managed to pull of a suitable amount of discretion, except my daughter made loud slurping and groaning noises during the feed. :o
  • diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why do we have indecent exposure laws then? Nudity in public is not acceptable in our culture.

My arse isn't there for sexual reasons so does that mean I can drop my trousers and cack on the table in a cafe?

Ha ha ha, the astonishingly poor comparison of defecation and feeding a child being made as usual, and so early in the thread......maybe you should win a prize? A poor one obviously, to match the quality of the comparison!:D:yawn:

And no, I will not discuss the point you made as you are obviously so uneducated in the topic of breastfeeding and how it is NOTHING like excreating waste that I would be here all day only to find that you still couldn't/wouldn't see how bloody startlingly ridiculous your 'argument' is......:sleep:
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    How exactly is breastfeeding different to taking a dump? Both are totally natural activities.

Everything else is cultural window-dressing, that has nothing to do with the activities themselves.

If you really can't see the difference, there is no point in trying to explain to you.
  • shinytoyshinytoy Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Yesterday I was in a cafe pondering over nothing and drinking tea, then a woman who was at the table next to me and directly in my line of vision pulls her milk jugs out and starts feeding her baby. I tried looking in another direction subtly without being too obvious which I thought would be the right thing to do, and I got an evil glare off her as if I was a disapproving sexist pig. But if I had just sat staring at her without looking away I would have looked like a pervert or a creep or what not.

So what is the right thing to do in this situation?
    Get up and run away screaming
  • shinytoyshinytoy Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you for real?
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I thought we all loved boobs, guys? What exactly is the problem when a lady gets them out? I see no downside here.
  • Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just erase the whole experience from your mammary OP
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I breastfed mine everywhere I went, I doubt many people even noticed or maybe I was just really lucky and managed to avoid breastfeeding in front of uptight people likely to faint at the sight of a nipple.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    woohoo another ds anti breastfeeding women thread.

ive never done it in public...but im tempted to take my baby out, feed her...just to see whether people do actually stare, make nasty comments, or act totally suprised that a human mother feeds her baby, the way any other mammal does...:rolleyes:

how the hell would the human race have survived without the invention of formula milk??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I breastfed mine everywhere I went, I doubt many people even noticed or maybe I was just really lucky and managed to avoid breastfeeding in front of uptight people likely to faint at the sight of a nipple.

Me too. I've done it standing on a bus stop and it just looked like I was tightly cuddling my baby. The only time I have seen a woman with her breast out was an African lady who was feeding her baby. Of course, in the majority of African cultures, breasts are purely for feeding babies and don't have the same sexual stigma attached to them.

I have a 14 month old that is still breastfeeding (I will be SO glad when he gives up!), but I don't breastfeed him in public anymore, mainly because he just has comfort feeds in the morning, when I come home from work, and before bed. He also has this habit lifting my top right up because he doesn't like the fabric on his face!

As for some of the attitudes in this thread...:sleep:
  • Banana HeadBanana Head Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for some of the attitudes in this thread...:sleep:

I makes me :cry: and :mad: and :p all at the same time when I read these kind of threads.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Yesterday I was in a cafe pondering over nothing and drinking tea, then a woman who was at the table next to me and directly in my line of vision pulls her milk jugs out and starts feeding her baby. I tried looking in another direction subtly without being too obvious which I thought would be the right thing to do, and I got an evil glare off her as if I was a disapproving sexist pig. But if I had just sat staring at her without looking away I would have looked like a pervert or a creep or what not.

So what is the right thing to do in this situation?

Same thing happened to me in Asda's cafe a couple of months ago, however she knew i was trying to look away or pretend not to notice and just smiled at me everytime i glance over for a peek.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Same thing happened to me in Asda's cafe a couple of months ago, however she knew i was trying to look away or pretend not to notice and just smiled at me everytime i glance over for a peek.

That's more like the normal experience. I find it touching, sweet, seeing someone feed, not that I stare at them. But it makes it less awkward if you do happen to catch their eye, just to smile so they can see it, then ignore it. There's nothing to see, it's all normal behavior. Babies eat, you know. Most of us were probably fed that way, and not always shut away in a small room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    I've never seen a mum just whip their boob out onto the table or anything like that. All the ones I've seen have been very discreet. I have seen a few with a blanket or something over their chest which just makes me feel a bit sorry for the baby. I wouldn't particularly like to eat with a blanket over my head.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I've never seen a mum just whip their boob out onto the table or anything like that. All the ones I've seen have been very discreet. I have seen a few with a blanket or something over their chest which just makes me feel a bit sorry for the baby. I wouldn't particularly like to eat with a blanket over my head.

I haven't either. Normally, all a breastfeeding mum needs to do is undo a bit of her shirt and maternity bra, and the baby obscures the view anyway.

Whoever compared breastfeeding to going for a poo - breastfeeding doesn't cause nasty smells or spread germs. Not the same.