✭✭
    Selby v M Davis - Dennis Taylor & Stephen Hendry
    Bingham v Higgins - John Virgo & Ken Doherty
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    The AFDs will get the box to produce a 14:9 letterbox image, if the native 16:9 broadcast has been flagged as '14:9 safe'

But why would you want to see a cropped image?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    griffpaul wrote: »
    Selby v M Davis - Dennis Taylor & Stephen Hendry
    Bingham v Higgins - John Virgo & Ken Doherty

It might just be me, but I don't quite see the relevance to this thread. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »

I don't particularly want to see a cropped image, DVD Fever, but that's how the Letterbox setting makes 16:9 signals into 14:9 images on my set-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    I don't particularly want to see a cropped image, DVD Fever, but that's how the Letterbox setting makes 16:9 signals into 14:9 images on my set-up.

Ah, I've just thought. Is this only on certain channels? When I had a 4:3 TV, I had a Freeview box which made certain broadcasts *go* 14:9 for programmes whereas films were left alone.

Now, I don't have a 4:3 TV so the problem doesn't happen. It was piss-annoying, though.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it actually 14:9 or is it just cropping the overscan? a 4:3 CRT will crop some off the left and right of the 16:9 letterboxed image, but will keep the full hight where it meets the black bars.
    On a 16:9 SD TV (and HD if you keep it on the setting that crops overscan), it will also crop a little off the top and bottom too!
    With a HDTV over HDMI you can see the full image, as you can tell it not to crop the overscan!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, I've just thought. Is this only on certain channels? When I had a 4:3 TV, I had a Freeview box which made certain broadcasts *go* 14:9 for programmes whereas films were left alone.

Now, I don't have a 4:3 TV so the problem doesn't happen. It was piss-annoying, though.

Do some freeview boxes really do that? Thats bad!
    The only time that thebox should be doing any kind of cropping, should be when its in 4:3 centre cutout, or PS mode for DVD players ect.
    In fact I think that the 4:3 Centre Cutout or PS mode should be told to respond to AFD codes and the 4:3 letterbox mode left alone to always letterbox as 16:9!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Is it actually 14:9 or is it just cropping the overscan? a 4:3 CRT will crop some off the left and right of the 16:9 letterboxed image, but will keep the full hight where it meets the black bars.
    On a 16:9 SD TV (and HD if you keep it on the setting that crops overscan), it will also crop a little off the top and bottom too!
    With a HDTV over HDMI you can see the full image, as you can tell it not to crop the overscan!

Oh, I've had a bit of a measuring and its actually a 485 mm by 285 mm image, so I'm not missing that much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I've had a bit of a measuring and its actually a 485 mm by 285 mm image, so I'm not missing that much.

yep thats 1.7:1 and 16:9 is 1.78:1, 14:9 is 1.55:1 so your 1.7:1 is 15.3:9!
    So its very close to 16:9 and the bit your missing from each side, is the overscan as I was thinking!
  • Options
    dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the datrts when was on and now the masters snooker, no evening live HD coverage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep thats 1.7:1 and 16:9 is 1.78:1, 14:9 is 1.55:1 so your 1.7:1 is 15.3:9!
    So its very close to 16:9 and the bit your missing from each side, is the overscan as I was thinking!

Cheers!
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dj999 wrote: »
    and the datrts when was on and now the masters snooker, no evening live HD coverage
    Eurosport has the rights for live afternoon coverage.

ESPN would have had these rights for the darts had they not dropped darts coverage, which meant BBC was awarded full live rights once again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do some freeview boxes really do that? Thats bad!
    The only time that thebox should be doing any kind of cropping, should be when its in 4:3 centre cutout, or PS mode for DVD players ect.
    In fact I think that the 4:3 Centre Cutout or PS mode should be told to respond to AFD codes and the 4:3 letterbox mode left alone to always letterbox as 16:9!

Yep, it was a royal pain. From memory, I'd been using the box on a 16:9 TV but at some point had to swap them round as I bought a new one with an RF tuner pass-through so I could watch Freeview via RF on my bedroom 16:9 TV. Then, the old box went on a 4:3 TV that was in the kitchen and that's when I discovered the problem, so it was older than 12 months, but in essence there was nothing physically wrong with it anyway - this was just a bloody weird thing that it was doing.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sue's STB will only produce a 14:9 letterbox image, if the broadcaster signals the programme is shot '14:9 Safe' via the appropriate AFD code. Anything that is not 14:9 safe (notably most US TV shows) will be flagged to be output as 16:9 'deep' letterbox.

Yes, a 14:9 LB image will be slightly cropped, but the cropped portions are not essential, and can be ignored. Captions etc should therefore still be within the 14:9 safe zone.

Of course, you may remember, that 14:9 was the normal mode used for 16:9 material as seen on analogue TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The image I was looking at was in the BBC News studio. In one of those "This is a piece I presnt standing up" bits, the screen behind the presenter had written information on it and the camera shot the information and the presenter together: the left hand margin of the screen information was obscured by the left hand speaker of my CRT!:D
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, the better STBs give you option to override the 14:9 command, and display as 16:9 LB (The Toppy PVR is one such device)

The idea behind 14:9 safe shooting, and we had 15 years of it, while analogue continued alongside digital, is there are disposable areas at the side of the picture.

The fact is, it's now 2014, and the optimum situation is to have a 16:9 screen ;-)