Whatever the result, Scots have long memories....

Comments

• Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Well sorry to say that you are as much a fool as the. Yes voters. Don't all you 'good riddancers' realise how deeply affected you will be?

Th UK will be about 10% smaller and... er... that's about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    It's not necessarily the moving of the registered office that's a problem, it's the fact they're making out like it's a big deal in order to scare people into voting no, when in fact - confirmed by internal mails from the banks themselves, at least in the case of RBS - it'll have no impact on either staff or customers.

Asda are just dim, mind you. "In the event of a yes vote, we will make ourselves uncompetitive in one of the most competitive retail categories!" Aye, right. Fair enough, we'll go to the supermarkets that have figured out this whole "globalisation" lark.

If there is no monetary union and RBS officially moves its head office to, say, London, then it will become a foreign bank as far as Scotland is concerned. If it fails, surely Scottish investors will then no longer be protected by the Bank of England being the bank of last resort. Alternatively, if it remained in Scotland then English based investors will no longer have B of E protection and will move their money over to an English bank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK will veto it too if Salmond walks off without the Scottish share of the debt.

Salmond has always acted as if he held all the trump cards that would lay the rest of the world over a barrel. I suspect he'll find that that's not quite the case.

How much longer would Salmond be in charge aftr a Yes vote? He'd have served his purpose, and would have nothing else to offer. He'd be out on his ear at the next election, and Labour would be in charge.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    How much longer would Salmond be in charge aftr a Yes vote? He'd have served his purpose, and would have nothing else to offer. He'd be out on his ear at the next election, and Labour would be in charge.

Are there any other relevant parties in Scotland ? The Tories are virtually non existent. Would it labour landslides forever more if the SNP ceased to exist (its remit done) ?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Are there any other relevant parties in Scotland ? The Tories are virtually non existent. Would it labour landslides forever more if the SNP ceased to exist (its remit done) ?

That is seemingly what the Scots want and if that is what they want but of course they could vote independence elect a Labour government and the rest of UK votes a Labour government ,they work together like one country and it was all a waste of time and money.

You could end up with pro unionists running an independent Scotland won't that be a laugh if Gordon Brown or Alastair Darling become Prime Minister of Scotland after being unionist.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

People haven't been voting SNP just to get independence though.
  • carascaras Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50-1 they will show Braveheart on Wednesday night! Mel Gibson has a lot to answer for :D
  • AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I'm sure Walmart are pissing their knickers ;-)

Course it is. I got called a f*cking idiot by a Yes campaigner in Glasgow today - for daring to vote no, and my Dad just got called a Tory ****. Underneath the statue of Donald Dewar. By a yes campaigner.

You must be so proud ;-)

Why would I be proud of two strangers I have never met and am never likely to meet? :confused:

I've been called a Marxist Fenian by no campaigners, are you proud? Silly, childish nonsense.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caras wrote: »
    50-1 they will show Braveheart on Wednesday night! Mel Gibson has a lot to answer for :D

For viewers in the Yes area our film tonight is Braveheart for those in the No area here's a repeat of a particularly gruesome episode of Taggart followed by the uncut version of Trainspotting.
  • carascaras Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    For viewers in the Yes area our film tonight is Braveheart for those in the No area here's a repeat of a particularly gruesome episode of Taggart followed by the uncut version of Trainspotting.

:D:D :D
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they said they are moving to England, NOT the UK no matter how much a lot of English people like to think they ARE the UK. Also, RBS have stated that there will be no job losses in Scotland. Any job losses with the others will be absorbed with the benefits we can reap from independence.

Are you aware (it seems not) that the UK will continue to exist, just that Scotland will no longer be part of it?
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    Why would I be proud of two strangers I have never met and am never likely to meet? :confused:

I've been called a Marxist Fenian by no campaigners, are you proud? Silly, childish nonsense.

No. But you understood my point. Clearly.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    You really don't keep up do you? Have you got a telly?

I just found this on the first page.
    Well they said they are moving to England, NOT the UK no matter how much a lot of English people like to think they ARE the UK. Also, RBS have stated that there will be no job losses in Scotland. Any job losses with the others will be absorbed with the benefits we can reap from independence.

And you say I don't keep up with the news. Here's some news for you. England is part of the UK, just like Wales, Northern Ireland and currently Scotland. So, by definition moving to England is also moving to the UK, the remaining part of it. It's same sort of thing as people claiming to be Scottish, but not British.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a bar last night and when a man was refused service he yelled loudly 'is it because I'm voting yes?'

Made me giggle. :D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    In a bar last night and when a man was refused service he yelled loudly 'is it because I'm voting yes?'

Made me giggle. :D

No, it was because he was a horse and had a long face, or William Shakespeare and got barred.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fairness, not true. An independent Scotland can use the British pound if it wants. Bugger all the Bank of England can do about it and no permission is needed.

It can yes, but it will not be the same it will be unoffical and it will not be backed by the Bank of England, just as ther Panama Balboa is tied to the US $ and also accepts the US $ but it is not backed by the US Federal Bank.

So in theory Scotland could use Monopoly Money if it wanted it just wouldn't be abcked by any other bank unless Scotland sets up it's own Central Bank .
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caras wrote: »

Mel Gibson is an anti -English nutter, who distorted the Wallace story beyond belief.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Are you aware (it seems not) that the UK will continue to exist, just that Scotland will no longer be part of it?

I think a lot of Yes voters are so focussed on England that they forget Wales & N.Ireland even exist, which is a pity.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I think a lot of Yes voters are so focussed on England that they forget Wales & N.Ireland even exist, which is a pity.

I forget about N Ireland too. It's a completely different country/ Island to me :p
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »

And for those undecided they're showing 'The Bruce' followed by 'Culloden' which is sure to sway some to vote YES on the night.

You may think I'm kidding but if you check the schedule for Thursday the 18th you'll see them listed from 17.10 on movies4men.

http://www.movies4men.co.uk/schedule/m4m
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Vivienne Westwood ( who is not Scots ) has said she hates England and hopes the voters vote yes, whilst the Scots must do as they feel right I do hope she loses some of her English turnover as she hates the place so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. But you understood my point. Clearly.

You had no point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

Which Yes voters would they be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I see Vivienne Westwood ( who is not Scots ) has said she hates England and hopes the voters vote yes, whilst the Scots must do as they feel right I do hope she loses some of her English turnover as she hates the place so much.

It's very common among the arty-farties and Metropolitan poseurs to express a hatred of England. Never Scotland, Wales or Ireland, and certainly not India, Poland or Pakistan. Just England, always England. It's cool and 'knowing' to do so. I wish they'd put their words into actions and sod off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    Which Yes voters would they be?

The ones who think that without Scotland the UK will cease to exist. It won't, it will just be reduced.