Options

Jury convicts PC of assaulting a student during 2010 anti tutition fees demo

BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
Forum Member
PC Andrew Ott talked of "wanting to batter students to get a bit of justice back. "

Should be sent down for a long time.

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Ott by name...
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Shame that more people acting in a similarly antagonistic manner weren't prosecuted.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Idiot.

Idiots like this and the fact that it has taken 5 years to deal with this incident don't do anything for the reputation of those who do a good job. Good riddance I hope.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    el_bardos wrote: »
    But but but.... the rules for police are different. They never get prosecuted for wrong doing.

Or at least so some would have you believe....
    Grabs popcorn..... awaits arrival of Deep Purple........ :cool:
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But but but.... the rules for police are different. They never get prosecuted for wrongdoing.

Or at least so some would have you believe....

"Since 1969, there have been more than 1,000 deaths in custody, and not one successful prosecution of a single police officer"
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This doesn't change anything, it's still incredibly difficult to "get" the police for their wrongdoing.
  • Options
    Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

any danger of links with these quotes?
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why did it take so long to get to court?
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the prosecution, Ott then seemed concerned he had used excessive force, and was recorded saying: “Ideally I want him nicked, you know what I mean – for something – if he is here he is playing up anyway, he is right gobby.”

At this point, the court was told, Lindsay, who had come to the scene, told Ott: “I forgot to tell you what happened, as he has jumped over there he has said: ‘I’m going to ****ing smash up that building.’” Ott replied: “Perfect.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/19/police-officer-found-guilty-assaulting-student-tuition-fees-protest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    geemonkee wrote: »
    "Since 1969, there have been more than 1,000 deaths in custody, and not one successful prosecution of a single police officer"

What's your point? A person dying in police custody by no means suggests that an offence has been committed by a police officer. Most people who go in to police custody fit in to one or more of the following categories;

Drug users
    Drunks
    Violent
    Mentally ill
    Suicidal

In fact here are the reasons for some over the past few years:

Stabbing themselves whilst police are searching their house?
    Smuggling a razer blade in to custody and cutting themselves?
    Hanging themselves in a cell using their underwear?
    Taking an overdose before being arrested and not informing the Custody Officer thus not getting medical attention quick enough?
    Not disclosing to the Custody Officer that they are a diabetic, not taking medication then going in to a diabetic coma?
    Getting blind drunk, being incapable, get taken by police to hospital who refuse to treat due to behaviour, taken in to police custody and dying from alcohol poisoning?
    Excited delerium?
    Getting blind drunk, being incapable, get taken by police to hospital who refuse to treat due to behaviour, taken in to police custody and dying from position asphyxia?
    Jamming toilet tissue down their throat?
    Jumping out of the back of an ambulance on a busy road, whilst being transported and under arrest?

Hence compared to the overall general public, are at a much higher risk of significant injury or death.

Here's some figures to put your statistic in to perspective (the writing in brackets is my opinion):
    In 2012/2013, there were 15 deaths in or following police custody. 7 of them were of individuals with a mental health concern. 9 of them were of individuals who had used drugs or alcohol, been under the influence of or been in possession of such drugs or alcohol. In 5 of the deaths the individual was restrained during or before police contact (4x police, 1x public) though the restraint wasn't said to have been the cause of death in all 5.

1 had a seizure on the way to the police vehicle, was taken to hospital by ambulance and died. (No suggestion the police caused his death)
    1 was restrained by members of the public when trying to rob a betting shop. Officers arrived informed him he was under arrest. They were concerned for his health, an ambulance was called and he was pronounced dead at the scene. Post mortem found the cause of death as asphyxia. (Yes, this is counted as a death in police custody, but notice how the actions causing death were not police action)
    1 was arrested on arrival in the UK. During interview he became unwell and was transfered to hospital. He died 2 days later. No cause of death at present, however a number of drugs packets were found inside his body. (No suggestion the police caused his death)
    1 woman was arrested in her flat. She was subsequently left unsupervised in the flat and fell from her window causing fatal injuries. (She shouldn't have been left unsupervised admittedly, but who's actions caused her death?)
    1 shot himself whilst retrieving something from his car after arrest. (Again shouldn't have been left unsupervised, but was self inflicted)
    1 before arrest, had taken a load of paracetamol, cut his wrists and hadn't eaten for days, and died in hospital a couple of days later. (No suggestion the police caused his death)
    1 was found to have died from heart disease a few hours after returning from hospital to police custody. (No suggestion the police caused his death)
    1 had to be restrained with belts and became unresponsive, taken to hospital where he died - asphyxiation. (Due to police actions, though none were found to be disproportionate)
    4 were taken ill in custody and taken to hospital. 1 was lung cancer, the other had multiple cardiac arrests. (So 2 which the police didn't cause). 2 are still awaiting cause of death.
    1 died in hospitalafter being detained under the Mental Health Act - he was restrained with straps and incapacitant spray was used.
    1 died in Magistrates custody (but still counts as police because he had been in police custody prior!)
    1 was tasered by police and died a number of months later.

Source: http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/default...ort2012-13.pdf
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »

Every few months this gets quoted. Thankfully, somner has responded with what it means in reality, which is vastly different from the headline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grabs popcorn..... awaits arrival of Deep Purple........ :cool:

I think the poster was being sarcastic in relation to all those that claim such things, when the reality is very different. Enjoy your popcorn.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    What's your point? A person dying in police custody by no means suggests that an offence has been committed by a police officer. Most people who go in to police custody fit in to one or more of the following categories;

Drug users
    Drunks
    Violent
    Mentally ill
    Suicidal

Taking an overdose before being arrested and not informing the Custody Officer thus not getting medical attention quick enough?
    Not disclosing to the Custody Officer that they are a diabetic, not taking medication then going in to a diabetic coma?
    Getting blind drunk, being incapable, get taken by police to hospital who refuse to treat due to behaviour, taken in to police custody and dying from alcohol poisoning?
    Excited delerium?
    Getting blind drunk, being incapable, get taken by police to hospital who refuse to treat due to behaviour, taken in to police custody and dying from position asphyxia?
    Jumping out of the back of an ambulance on a busy road, whilst being transported and under arrest?

Hence compared to the overall general public, are at a much higher risk of significant injury or death.

Here's some figures to put your statistic in to perspective (the writing in brackets is my opinion):

It's very useful and important to highlight these facts to keep things in perspective. Cheers.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »

Drug users
    Drunks
    Violent
    Mentally ill
    Suicidal

Excited delerium?

That's good to see things in perspective. While wording it as death "in police custody" might be accurate because they are in fact in your custody, to me that phrase tends to imply that the police were to blame for the death and this link you brought up tends to disprove that. We can hardly blame the police for someone dying of alcohol poisoning while under arrest. They maybe shouldn't have drunk so much.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    I think the poster was being sarcastic in relation to all those that claim such things, when the reality is very different. Enjoy your popcorn.
    Oh, DP..... you have disappointed me!! I would have thought the very least you would have done was shoot the OP down in flames with the details of a well documented successful prosecution. Never mind. That said, i always enjoy your input here and i love it when you put the world to rights with a few well chosen words. The popcorn was fabulous!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, DP..... you have disappointed me!! I would have thought the very least you would have done was shoot the OP down in flames with the details of a well documented successful prosecution. Never mind. That said, i always enjoy your input here and i love it when you put the world to rights with a few well chosen words. The popcorn was fabulous!! :D

I'm pleased to hear it.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »
    That's good to see things in perspective. While wording it as death "in police custody" might be accurate because they are in fact in your custody, to me that phrase tends to imply that the police were to blame for the death and this link you brought up tends to disprove that. We can hardly blame the police for someone dying of alcohol poisoning while under arrest. They maybe shouldn't have drunk so much.

Don't get me wrong - on the face of a few of the deaths it has appeared that there may have been a case for negligence, however even in the vast majority of these it is the detained persons actions that ultimately have caused their death.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Good.

He couldn't really argue against it when it was caught on tape.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If he gets the sack, I hope he loses all his pension rights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »

I'm not sure that this would fit the criteria.
  • Options
    mrtdg82mrtdg82 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I had hoped the second line made that obvious. I was just pre-empting the usual crap we get in the likes of the Duggan thread about police never getting prosecuted, "police apologists" never acknowledging that there is police wrongdoing and condemning it and all that usual unsubstantiated accusational nonsense.

I see this from you a lot - Why do you think that losing pension rights is a fitting punishment? Would you want this to apply to everyone who's dimissed from their job for wrongdoing in the workplace, whatever that job may be, or a special punishment deserved by police for simply being police?

The exact same thing was written on the post about the American officers...

I explained it all on that post. The officer will still get back what he paid in. The only time there is a grey area is when an officer collects a pension whilst still being employed by the police, or retires prior to facing legal action.

He doesn't get sacked and then have a massive payout.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

No chance unfortunately. Simon Harwood (remember him) was supposedly sacked but retained all his rights, including full pension rights.

Very few, if any, of these so-called sackings result in loss of pension.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    No chance unfortunately. Simon Harwood (remember him) was supposedly sacked but retained all his rights, including full pension rights.

Nor should they. If you get sacked in any job why would they take away something you have saved?

Harwood is a case that falls into the grey area I mentioned above. It's very difficult to take away a pension someone has already claimed. If an officer is sacked prior to retiring they will lose whatever bonus they were likely to receive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »

That's nothing to do with the Police, it is about pension regulations.

In the main, it means people get back their contributions, or they have to wait until something like 60, and get the reduced pension they have contributed to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I find so odd about calls for people to lose their pension. Putting aside some income for retirement into an investment, prior to having done anything wrong, does not deserve to be sanctioned purely by virtue of the fact that investment happens to have been done via an employer.

Indeed unless of course the proceeds were made through acts of crime, specifically a financial based one.