Options

Penalty Notice for speeding and it turns out my speedometer is inaccurate.

too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wondered if anybody had any idea about whether I can contest a speeding fine as it seems that my speedometer is giving me an inaccurate reading.

I saw the camera flash, checked my speedo and it read at 51mph and a ticket has come through stating that I was doing 57mph. My car is regularly serviced by the manufacturer, Volvo, but when I checked the speed with a friend's sat nav it showed that my speedometer is showing a lower speed that shown on GPS

Can anyone give me any advice?

Comments

• Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google 'getting off a speeding ticket'.There are loads of people out there who'll fight your case or give you advice.It's all too easy to just accept it and pay up,get points etc.
    The latest scam in my area are those average speed cameras,like yellow vultures watching your every move.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered if anybody had any idea about whether I can contest a speeding fine as it seems that my speedometer is giving me an inaccurate reading.

I saw the camera flash, checked my speedo and it read at 51mph and a ticket has come through stating that I was doing 57mph. My car is regularly serviced by the manufacturer, Volvo, but when I checked the speed with a friend's sat nav it showed that my speedometer is showing a lower speed that shown on GPS

Bite the bullet and pay the fine.
    Your speedometer being inaccurate won't be accepted as a legitimate defence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Google 'getting off a speeding ticket'.There are loads of people out there who'll fight your case or give you advice.It's all too easy to just accept it and pay up,get points etc.
    The latest scam in my area are those average speed cameras,like yellow vultures watching your every move.
    Good luck.

Thanks. I am going to get advise from a lawyer after the bank holiday but I'm just worried to bits now as I can't do anything for a few days.

It's the fourth ticket in quick succession - prior to that I had a clean licence - and it's only now that I've realised that it's because my speedo is out.

I drive 35,00+ miles a year and I'm really careful about sticking to the speed limit. another of the penalties is for 57 on an average speed camera section of the M! and I know that my cruise control was set at 50.

I need my licence for my job so it's a major panic.
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All speedometers should read higher as it's illegal to have them show lower. In every instance I've seen the speedo reads more than the satnav. which is a truer indication.

Have you changed the wheels or modified the gearing?

Just read you last post. If I set my cruise control at 50 the satnay says I'm doing 48. Seems something seriously wrong with yours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bite the bullet and pay the fine.
    Your speedometer being inaccurate won't be accepted as a legitimate defence.

I did that one the first one because I just assumed that I'd been been inattentive (35 in a 30) but I can't afford to lose my job if I get all the points.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly all speedometers are inaccurate but most under read rather than over read. If the camera went off at 57mph it suggests it was in a 40mph zone. Most police forces calibrate their cameras to limit+10%+6mph so 57 in a 50 shouldn't normally trigger. If it was a 40 zone then I can't see you getting off and nor should you. But if your speedometer really is under reading then 57 in a 50 might be contestable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tidosho wrote: »
    All speedometers should read higher as it's illegal to have them show lower. In every instance I've seen the speedo reads more than the satnav. which is a truer indication.

Have you changed the wheels or modified the gearing?

No. I'm not exactly a "boy racer" - I'm a 53 year old woman with a Volvo!

The only change that I've made is replace the tyres but not new wheels.
  • Options
    Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All speedometers should read higher as it's illegal to have them show lower.
    Andrue wrote: »
    Nearly all speedometers are inaccurate but most under read rather than over read.

So are they lower or higher? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly all speedometers are inaccurate but most under read rather than over read. If the camera went off at 57mph it suggests it was in a 40mph zone. Most police forces calibrate their cameras to limit+10%+6mph so 57 in a 50 shouldn't normally trigger. If it was a 40 zone then I can't see you getting off and nor should you. But if your speedometer really is under reading then 57 in a 50 might be contestable.

It was a 50 zone. It's a bit of road that I drive regularly and the penalty notice states 50 limit.
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a 53 year old woman with a Volvo!

That right there is proof you can't have been speeding. :D
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Might be worthwhile writing to Volvo.

I doubt you'll be able to contest the ticket (or lots of people would doctor their speedos and say "Oh well. Not my fault. It was the speedo!) but at the very least you deserve some sort of explanation.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I am going to get advise from a lawyer after the bank holiday but I'm just worried to bits now as I can't do anything for a few days.

It's the fourth ticket in quick succession - prior to that I had a clean licence - and it's only now that I've realised that it's because my speedo is out.

I drive 35,00+ miles a year and I'm really careful about sticking to the speed limit. another of the penalties is for 57 on an average speed camera section of the M! and I know that my cruise control was set at 50.

In that case it's definitely worth going the extra mile to prove your innocence.
    My brother got 2 fixed penalty notices for the same bit of road in 1 week.Like yourself,he needs his licence for his job.The new speed limit sign had been obscured by trees.He managed to get 1 of the penalties dropped,thereby saving his licence.He had to go out and take photos of the overgrown trees though.
    They've really got it in for motorists these days.I guess they're trying to make up for the lost road tax revenue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That right there is proof you can't have been speeding. :D

Hopefully a magistrate would think the same :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    In that case it's definitely worth going the extra mile to prove your innocence.
    My brother got 2 fixed penalty notices for the same bit of road in 1 week.Like yourself,he needs his licence for his job.The new speed limit sign had been obscured by trees.He managed to get 1 of the penalties dropped,thereby saving his licence.He had to go out and take photos of the overgrown trees though.
    They've really got it in for motorists these days.I guess they're trying to make up for the lost road tax revenue.

Thanks for the advice.

I really can't see how I can make a judgement of speed other than to go by my speedo so I suppose I need to get proof that it's wrong and hope that will hold some sway in court.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be worthwhile writing to Volvo.

I doubt you'll be able to contest the ticket (or lots of people would doctor their speedos and say "Oh well. Not my fault. It was the speedo!) but at the very least you deserve some sort of explanation.

I am going to go to the Volvo dealership that does the servicing tomorrow.

Not sure what they can say but if I can get proof that I maintain my car properly and was driving in good faith then maybe that might help.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are they lower or higher? :confused:

A speedometer can show a speed equal to or higher (within certain limits) than your true road speed but it cannot show a lower speed.

So at a true 50 MPH the speedo can show 55 for example but not 45.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    A speedometer can show a speed equal to or higher (within certain limits) than your true road speed but it cannot show a lower speed.

So at a true 50 MPH the speedo can show 55 for example but not 45.

I can assure you that the issue with my speedo is that it is showing a reading of 50 / 51 mph when I am apparently travelling at 57 mph

Were it showing 50mph and I was actually travelling at 45 mph then I would not have a problem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACPO guidelines for a FPN are limit + 10% + 2MPH so for a 50 the threshold is 57.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_fixed_penalty_notices/#speed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACPO guidelines for a FPN are limit + 10% + 2MPH so for a 50 the threshold is 57.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_fixed_penalty_notices/#speed

Thanks. I will read through the details on the link.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I will read through the details on the link.

You might also be interested in this PDF

http://www.cambs-police.co.uk/roadsafety/docs/201305-uoba-joining-forces-safer-roads.pdf
  • Options
    Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. get your car looked at ASAP and don't drive it until you do.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know if having 4 tickets in quick succession will aid or hinder you in this scenario. A clean license then several tickets, suggests an issue. Whether it's thought that the fault should have been picked up sooner is another thing... Particularly the 50mph cruise control ticket... It's a perplexing issue IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, chrisjr

There doesn't seem to be any reference to concessions where the driver believed that they were within the law.

I guess that I'm just going to have to get legal advice and proof that I had every reason to believe that my speedo was accurate.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fined for speeding AND faulty equipment eh :D
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are only guidelines.

Taken from the linked document.
    Note that these are guidelines and that a police officer has discretion to act outside of them providing he acts fairly, consistently and proportionately.
This discussion has been closed.