Telegraph at it again!! Danny Alexander in expenses scandal now!!!

debidebi Posts: 3,288
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Danny Alexander, new Treasury chief, avoided capital gains tax on house

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/liberal-democrat-mps-expenses/7787519/Danny-Alexander-new-Treasury-chief-avoided-capital-gains-tax-on-house.html

Danny Alexander, who was appointed on Saturday after the resignation of fellow Liberal Democrat David Laws, designated the property as his second home for the purpose of claiming parliamentary expenses but described it to HM Revenue and Customs as his main home.

Last night Mr Alexander admitted that he took advantage of a loophole to legally avoid paying CGT on the sale of the south London property in June 2007

Comments

• bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell ya there's gonna be no-one left soon.

hmmmm wonder if I should apply!
  • debidebi Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell ya there's gonna be no-one left soon.

hmmmm wonder if I should apply!

Oooh yer go on, can I share your house with you please?:D
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    debi wrote: »
    Oooh yer go on, can I share your house with you please?:D

Yes so long as the rent is REALLY HIGH:D
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this government accident prone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are The Telegrapth doing?

I remember David Cameron making his MP's publish all expenses on a website, has he instructed Nick Clegg to do the same since they are now 'one'
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Another one bites the dust!

Bring on the next one! :D

The Telegraph have apparently got loads of these. They're going to pick off cabinet members one by one each week. Their circulation must be going through the roof right now! Fair play to them, mind - they know what makes good business.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I think if you ploughed through the claims of many Cabinet members you would find potentially questionable practices from a moral perspective - even if they were legally ok. Here's one example.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1189788/Cameron-took-maximum-taxpayer-funded-mortgage--paid-75k-loan-months-later.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes so long as the rent is REALLY HIGH:D

Make it as high as you like, I am loaded:D

What are the telegraph doing? They are showing the public who they have elected that's all!
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Is this government accident prone?

No, I think many MPs on both sides have frauds like this hidden. It just makes better sense for the Telegraph to be picking off cabinet members - more public interest.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who did they support at the Election just of intrest:confused:
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    No, I think many MPs on both sides have frauds like this hidden. .

I would be careful about using the word fraud - what Alexander has done is perfectly legal it appears. Its part of the Telegraph's campaign on capital gains tax though!
    Forum Member
    Yep. Having read the details, I'm sure that Alexander will have to resign too. They'd better hurry up with the right-to-recall thing.
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I would be careful about using the word fraud - what Alexander has done is perfectly legal it appears. Its part of the Telegraph's campaign on capital gains tax though!

It's wilful tax evasion which is a class of fraud.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Having read the details, I'm sure that Alexander will have to resign too. They'd better hurry up with the right-to-recall thing.

Ere at this rate, maybe we will need another General Election!! Who is next in the pecking order for this post?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, the woes of this ridiculous coalition continue; the new chief secretary already embroiled in expense row.

I thought nick (cameron's twin) said that his party represented the new politics, a new way of doing things, a way where they wouldn't treat the public like fools ?

Not surprised at all. Time for Mr Alexander to consider his position I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is legal but highly unethical considering the lidems stance on CGT
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »
    Who did they support at the Election just of intrest:confused:

The Conservatives, but they don't like Lib Dem cabinet members diluting the right-wing purist side of Conservatism which the Barclay brothers prefer. They're not keen on Cameron, as he's a bit to liberal for their liking. I think they'll try and pick off all the Lib Dems and lliberal consevatives, such that they can go back to the polls and get a much more `traditional' Conservative party back in full power.
  • cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    So are the Telegraph going to do this to every Lib Dem they can or will they be kind enough to extend it to the Tories and Labour as well?

It would appear that they want the Lib Dem part of the Government to fail, and although I do think its important that the electorate know what their MPs might or might not have done, is it right that a newspaper can effectively decide who runs the country?

I guess that's nothing new though.....
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    So the Telegraph are just going after the Lib Dems then?
    Forum Member
    Well the LD's only have 58 MPs - how many of them will end up as Chief Secretary before this parliament is out.

They really have to bring John Thurso MP in - a well respected business leader - who is the only person capable of doing this job. Just hope he has no expenses problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    magratx wrote: »
    It is legal but highly unethical considering the lidems stance on CGT

Indeed quite unethical, he has GOT TO GO, poor Nick, the cabinet room is going to look at bit bleak soon, he may run out of MP's:D
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not great fan of Cameron, Clegg or the Coalition, but the daily telegraph seems to have an agenda. Certainly seems like they are trying to destablise the current government.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Telegraph are just going after the Lib Dems then?

I wouldn't bet on it!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Conservatives, but they don't like Lib Dem cabinet members diluting the right-wing purist side of Conservatism which the Barclay brothers prefer. They're not keen on Cameron, as he's a bit to liberal for their liking. I think they'll try and pick off all the Lib Dems and lliberal consevatives, such that they can go back to the polls and get a much more `traditional' Conservative party back in full power.

theres only so much they can get away with though it could all backfire like the note from Gordon Brown to a dead soldiers mother did with The Sun last year it will seem like they are bullying the Lib Dems
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member

No its tax avoidance, not tax evasion.

Critically tax avoidance is legal. A good accountant will draw up a will that pays the least amount of tax.

Is avoiding paying tax morally wrong ?????