Options

"Ste" as a nickname for Steven/Stephen?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
Forum Member
Is this a very Northern thing?

I've been "Ste" as far as I can remember but when I went to uni people from daan Souf said they weren't really familiar with it.

Further to that, people online thought my name was "Steh" (like "meh") and not "Stee" (as in "Ste" from Steven :p).

I've seen a few people on the forums with this name, too, but they all seem to be from oop Norf.

Comments

• Options
    Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It baffled me when I first heard it. I think it must be a Northern thing as I have only heard this applied to "northern" Stephen's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been called Steve and i'm from the North. My mate from Southport calls his brother Stee. First time i've ever heard it though.
  • Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a southerner and this is only the second time I've heard this name.
    The other one was on Hollyoaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    I've always been called Steve and i'm from the North. My mate from Southport calls his brother Stee. First time i've ever heard it though.

A few people from Milton Keynes came up to stay with me whilst I was at uni and they never understood my name. I kept getting called Steve until I spelled my name for them!
    dylan99 wrote: »

I hate Steve (not for other people, but for myself). I think Steve and Steven sound patronising :o Even senior managers called me Ste (from the South and the North, in fact). I've heard it in the North only.
    It baffled me when I first heard it. I think it must be a Northern thing as I have only heard this applied to "northern" Stephen's.

Ooh, yeah, there's that guy from Hollyoaks, which is a Northern soap. He actually lived near me when I lived in Salford.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    And for some reason, I always thought your name was Carmen? A very nice name, no doubt.

Ste? I would pronounce it Stee personally, I'm from Sheffield. I've never known any Ste's though.

I do pretty much hate it though! If I knew a Steven, I would call them Steven!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit confused Carmen. My real name is Steven so don't have a problem with a shortened name.

What's your real name that you hate being called Steve?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    And for some reason, I always thought your name was Carmen? A very nice name, no doubt.

Ste? I would pronounce it Stee personally, I'm from Sheffield. I've never known any Ste's though.
    I do pretty much hate it though! If I knew a Steven, I would call them Steven!

Nah, Carmen Queasy is a song title (meant to sound like "calm and queasy").

I pretty much exclusively go by "Ste", well, from everyone who knows me.
    woodbush wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused Carmen. My real name is Steven so don't have a problem with a shortened name.

What's your real name that you hate being called Steve?

Steven is my real name but very few people call me that. Everyone I know calls me "Ste", pronounced exactly like the first part of Steven.

I just don't like Steve. It sounds strange when people call me it :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dylan99 wrote: »

Yes, i think I only heard it from hollyoaks :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nah, Carmen Queasy is a song title (meant to sound like "calm and queasy").

haha, did you edit my post? I think it'd confuse people if I were a Ste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    haha, did you edit my post? I think it'd confuse people if I were a Ste.

I didn't edit anything? :confused::p

I do confuse people. When I was travelling the UK testing systems I had about 5 names... Steven, Steve, Ste, Stefan... "you".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    Before I met a friend from the Wirral at uni who has a brother called Ste, I'd only ever heard the name on Hollyoaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't edit anything? :confused::p

I do confuse people. When I was travelling the UK testing systems I had about 5 names... Steven, Steve, Ste, Stefan... "you".

Look at what I wrote and then what you quoted :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Look at what I wrote and then what you quoted :p

Haha, whoops! I somehow managed to type part of my reply within your quote :p All fixed!
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite imaginative. Everyone and their dog seems to be called Steve. :D:D:D:D

I guess its bit like Dave or Dan.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Blimey!

Since when has shortening a name to a single syllable been a weird and wacky thing to do? :confused:
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    The Geek wrote: »
    I think it's quite imaginative. Everyone and their dog seems to be called Steve. :D:D:D:D

I guess its bit like Dave or Dan.

I'm well familiar with Ste being short for Steve but I've never been called Da (pr. Day) as short for Dave. I've been around for a very long time too! :D
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also never heard Ste as an abbreviation of Stephen until I moved up north.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Common place round here. Most Steven's/Stephen's I know are called 'Ste'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Blimey!

Since when has shortening a name to a single syllable been a weird and wacky thing to do? :confused:

Not sure, it's the 1st time I've heard described as weird and wacky, so gawd knows when that started?:confused:
  • Options
    Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    I thought it was an Irish thing. Seems I'm worng there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Blimey!

It hasn't, but with Ste it seems more like a regional thing, whereas the likes of Dan, Stu, Alex etc... are pretty much universal in the UK.
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Americans are hilarious!

I always point out to them that my name is David and not Dave and they nearly always reply with "oh, sorry Dave!"

I've given up...... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Franglais wrote: »
    Americans are hilarious!

I always point out to them that my name is David and not Dave and they nearly always reply with "oh, sorry Dave!"

I've given up...... :)

Can't you just mispronounce their name in reply?
    See how they like it!:D
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mother in Law is the best at abbreviating names, my nephew is Ryan, she calls him Ry?:confused:
    But if I ever dared to shorten her name from Margaret to Marge, Marg, Maggie or Mag she wouldn't answer me. It really doesn't matter though as I usually refer to her as Witch.:D
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mother in Law is the best at abbreviating names, my nephew is Ryan, she calls him Ry?

That's a pretty common one, well round here it is anyway.