Does anyone have any idea what these would be worth?

Mrs.XMrs.X Posts: 62
Forum Member
Hi, My partner has always been into formula one and cars in general and has been collecting die cast cars since he was about 12.

They are die cast, 1:18 scale and 90 per cent of them are made by hot wheels. There is around 50 of them at last count, they are all as new condition, boxed.

A few pics:

2a9qj9l.jpg

2q9dzyv.jpg

34826ib.jpg

The time has now come that he would like to sell them, so does anyone have any ideas on what they could be worth? Just looking for a general idea before we advertise them.

Thanks.

Comments

• oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but don't think they are worth very much. If you're lucky and get more than one bidder they may fetch a reasonable price. The older Dinky and Corgi bring most.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    They're boxed and that's the important thing. The only other suggestion is that you take them to auction but put a reserve on them that you consider fair. If they don't reach that reserve then keep them for a while longer and then try again.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To find value your best bet would be to look on ebay and see what completed listings have fetched recently.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    You may get back what you paid!
    The thing is that most toys/ornaments of this type today are advertised as collectors items, therefore those who would collect this sort of thing will already have it!

As someone has already said, toys from the 50s. 60s and 70s and sometimes the 80s, that were not sold as collector items yet have been preserved, fetch huge prices!

I restore old toys from these eras!
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these the kind of things you own, and the kind of prices you're looking at...?

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/models/diecast-models/hot-wheels-cars/formula-1/
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    You may get back what you paid!
    The thing is that most toys/ornaments of this type today are advertised as collectors items, therefore those who would collect this sort of thing will already have it!

As someone has already said, toys from the 50s. 60s and 70s and sometimes the 80s, that were not sold as collector items yet have been preserved, fetch huge prices!

I restore old toys from these eras!

Why are you exclaiming your posts? :confused:

Put the items into auction, put a reserve on them and if they don't reach the reserve then nothing's lost, wait awhile and try again. Nothing to get so excited about, just fact.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I would suggest putting them in a box and storing them somewhere. They're bound to be worth a lot more in 20 years time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »

Put the items into auction, put a reserve on them and if they don't reach the reserve then nothing's lost, wait awhile and try again. Nothing to get so excited about, just fact.

I had a girlfriend who actually used to speak like that. Needless to say we're not together anymore.
    Forum Member
    TomGrant wrote: »
    I had a girlfriend who actually used to speak like that. Needless to say we're not together anymore.

I'm not surprised, Tom, don't you just hate being shouted at? I've seen it happen before on this forum but I thought the person who continually did it had gone, seems that I was wrong. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised, Tom, don't you just hate being shouted at? I've seen it happen before on this forum but I thought the person who continually did it had gone, seems that I was wrong. :D

It wasn't necessarily shouting, she just sounded constantly suprised/enthusiastic. It was really unnerving :D
    Forum Member
    TomGrant wrote: »
    It wasn't necessarily shouting, she just sounded constantly suprised/enthusiastic. It was really unnerving :D

I'm unnerved, believe me, I'm unnerved but for possibly different reasons. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ok then, I won't pry... :D
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member

Its a very bad habit I am trying to break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, well most times, my finger just types it without me thinking.
    :o

As a manager, I am nearly always sending emails to people that warrant an !, it is annoying I agree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    That is a great collection, and a real shame you would have to sell them.

I collect F1 cars and know they are pretty expensive to buy, and there is a big market for them on eBay and they usually go up to a decent price on auction.

I don't think you will make too much of a loss on these at all. Maybe even make some on the rarer ones.

Good luck!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs.X wrote: »
    Hi, My partner has always been into formula one and cars in general and has been collecting die cast cars since he was about 12.

They are die cast, 1:18 scale and 90 per cent of them are made by hot wheels. There is around 50 of them at last count, they are all as new condition, boxed.

A few pics:

2a9qj9l.jpg

2q9dzyv.jpg

34826ib.jpg

The time has now come that he would like to sell them, so does anyone have any ideas on what they could be worth? Just looking for a general idea before we advertise them.

Thanks.

Don't know if this will help you or not but in Meadowhall Sheffield there is a formula 1 shop (they sell autographed memorabilia etc.) and I am sure they used to buy F1 related stock as well. If not they may be able to advise you anyway

http://www.theformula1shopandmore.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=7746419a969d9af1631aba89a5f07c93
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Its a very bad habit I am trying to break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, well most times, my finger just types it without me thinking.
    :o

As a manager, I am nearly always sending emails to people that warrant an !, it is annoying I agree.

Annoying? Yes, very - because it's unnecessary but whatever - I'm still happy to see you and I'll say no more- nudge nudge/wink wink. ;) Let this be the end of it but please remember that it takes only one action to hit the full stop, it takes two to do the exclamation mark thingy.
  • Mrs.XMrs.X Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    sorry i couldnt get on before now to say thank you for the replies. The collection has now been sold, thanks again everyone.
  • BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten Bob.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thre'pence Ha'penny.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

LMAO!