Options

Novels set during the Crusades

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
Forum Member
I'm looking for some good historical fiction, and hoping the peeps around here can provide some recommendations. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    You might want to check out Zoé Oldenbourg.

I read one of her books in my teens called 'The World Is Not Enough' which is set during/in the crusades , and really enjoyed it so would recommend that.

It is on EBay for a few quid.

If you check out amazon there are a few reviews of it as well.

There is also a book by her called The Crusades.

Hope that was of some help:)
  • Options
    cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A series by Robyn Young, I can't remember all the titles, but a couple are Crusade and Brethen.

Also, not specifically crusades, but Medieval are Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Thanks to both of you. :) That does help! I'll check those suggestions out now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I would recommend Sharon Penmans series of books about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine - the 4th book in the series 'Lionheart' is about Richards exploits on Crusade, but the whole series is a must read for anyone interested in Medieval history.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    The Lute Player by Norah Lofts is about Richard the Lionheart and the Crusades.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wasn't worthy
  • Options
    Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try Sword and Scimitar by Simon Scarrow.
    1565, Malta: a vital outpost between the divided nations of Europe and the relentlessly expanding Ottoman Empire. Faced with ferocious attack by a vast Turkish fleet, the knights of the Order of St John fear annihilation. Amongst those called to assist is disgraced veteran Sir Thomas Barrett. Loyalty and instinct compel him to put the Order above all other concerns, yet his allegiance is divided. At Queen Elizabeth's command, he must search for a hidden scroll, guarded by the knights, that threatens her reign.

As Sir Thomas confronts the past that cost him his honour and a secret that has long lain buried, a vast enemy army arrives to lay siege to the island...
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try the Outlaw Chronicles - the second book deals with the heros trails across the holy land. Unfortunately I found the first book terrible so I didn't bother with the second - but judging by the online reviews it seems i'm very much in the minority.