Options

Lauren is a Doctor of Metaphysics.......................

JennyukJennyuk Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Docu Little Lady Fauntleroy was removed from You Tube, it is now for sale on amazon, this is a review of the dvd. :eek:

Keith Allen's documentary takes us into the bizarre, delusional world of the Harries family, focusing on Lauren (previously James) Harries, the former child prodigy who came to fame in 1988 as a precocious ten year old antiques expert and tycoon.
The early parts Allen's film are liberally sprinkled with clips of James' many TV appearances, most notably an appearance from the early 90s on Terry Wogan's chat show with Jeff Goldblum and Frank Skinner. Goldblum's expression is priceless. James seemed to think that he was conveying important knowledge to the great unwashed; unfortunately his particular brand of tongue-tied oration just didn't wash, and one got the uncomfortable feeling that he was being invited to appear on such programmes simply to be made fun of.

By the time Allen catches up with the family, James has undergone a sex change operation and is now Lauren. Along with the rest of the family, she is a Doctor of Metaphysics and practising counsellor. It is this area which catches Allen's main interest, as it transpires that every qualification each family member has was either purchased over the internet or awarded to themselves through their own home-based college, with no actual studying, training or experience to back it up.

What follows is Allen's gathering of evidence against Lauren and the rest of the family, as he prepares to confront them at the end of the three days he spends with them. Along the way we find that Lauren is desperate to nurture a TV career, stating that she feels she is a naturally gifted performer. Indeed, during his entertaining voice-over Allen comments that he got the impression that Lauren was treating the programme as a three day audition. So we see Lauren trying to sell herself as a performer in every way she can muster, with predictably cringe-making results. It goes without saying that she proves hilariously inept in every regard, yet her belief in her abilities is seemingly unshakeable.

And therein lies the problem with this programme. Lauren is clearly a very disturbed individual in genuine need of extensive psychotherapy. The short cuts taken by the family in order to bring about her sex change operation without fulfilling crucial legal and psychological requirements (her mother was her assigned counsellor under a false name, for instance) are startling. As Allen says, she doesn't seem any happier as a woman than she was as a man. So we really ought to feel sympathy for her, for the fact that she has grown up in such an isolated and duplicitous family environment, and for the fact that bricks are constantly hurled through their windows from prejudiced locals. But instead, you can't help but watch the programme with a sense of appalled incredulity as the extent of their dishonesty unfolds. Against your better nature you find yourself understanding why they suffer so much abuse.

Allen certainly seems to reach this conclusion. Unfortunately, his growing irritation with the family gets the better of him during what should be the programme's gripping climax as he confronts them about their fraudulent qualifications and activities. Having spent most of the programme giving them enough rope with which to hang themselves, he loses his temper and the meeting simply dissolves into a shouting match, which at one point looks dangerously close to becoming violent, before he storms out in disgust leaving them only semi-hung.

And this is where Allen falls short. His interviews with the family members are faultless - he asks the right questions in a subtle enough way to elicit very telling information. Not much digging is required on his part, as they seem trusting and self-assured enough to incriminate themselves time and again. His conversations with Lauren are sensitively handled where appropriate, and her responses tend to be comically vapid and inarticulate. He sets the whole thing up perfectly for a Poirot-style exposure at the end of the programme, only to blow it by losing his temper. It's such a waste - Allen is more than a match for any of them. I wonder how different the programme might have been if it had been made by Louis Theroux or Jon Ronson, whose methods are far more subtle and never aggressive.

As it is, there is enough here to show the Harries family as arrogant, snobbish, and happily living in a delusional world of their own invention. That they apparently see no wrong in festooning themselves with fake degrees and setting themselves up to counsel people with genuine problems is a disturbing testament to this. And, as Allen says, they must have known that the validity of their "qualifications" would be exposed. Nobody deserves constant bricks through their windows, but in agreeing to take part in the programme they have certainly done themselves no favours. I don't doubt that selective editing was involved in the making of this programme, but it's difficult to imagine how much worse the Harries could have been made to look. Allen even makes this point himself in his voice-over during the confrontation.

Despite the frustratingly abrupt ending, this is nonetheless a highly entertaining film. Allen's voice-over is suitably sarcastic and bilious, and the optional DVD commentary featuring Allen, Ned Parker and Victor Lewis-Smith is illuminating and hilarious. This is compelling and enjoyable for all the wrong reasons, and you may find yourself watching it through hands clasped across your disbelieving face. The extras include 43 minutes of unused footage, notably more of the disastrous Dramaturgy workshop where Lauren demonstrates exactly why she isn't a natural performer, and her entire karaoke rendition of "Send In The Clowns", which does so again. An intriguing question is also raised about a mysterious text message Allen sent to Lauren.

I'd recommend this DVD. You'll laugh, you'll cringe, you'll probably feel a great swell of pity for Lauren. You may even feel the urge to throw a brick of your own through their window, although I certainly wouldn't condone that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1ULBWL9ZEPJYY/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1ULBWL9ZEPJYY

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you know the certificate is a fake, yeah?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eddeva wrote: »
    you know the certificate is a fake, yeah?

All there qualifications are fake, i watched the docu on youtube before it was removed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennyuk wrote: »
    All there qualifications are fake, i watched the docu on youtube before it was removed.

so did I :)

what stumps me is, why the hell would you choose metaphysics??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    You can watch Little Lady Fauntleroy on here for free.... http://telly.com/M1XJV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can watch Little Lady Fauntleroy on here for free.... http://telly.com/M1XJV

It says not available, so it might have been removed from there aswell. I would love to know who the seller is of this dvd as its a channel 4 programme.
  • Options
    GrandmotherGrandmother Posts: 2,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Less chance of being called on it, I suppose. It doesn't seem to be a recognised subject, in the way economics, say, is.

Get Lauren out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's something not many people know about i suspect, so easier to fool them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Product Description
    Documentary presented by Keith Allen about James Harries, the precocious and eccentric child prodigy who was a fixture on television chat shows in the 1980s, discussing his wide-ranging knowledge of antiques and his desire to become Prime Minister. After tracking down the Harries family in the present-day, on a run-down Cardiff housing estate, Allen discovers the bizarre reality behind their facade of intellectual superiority. All of the family possess fake PhDs in Metaphysics, while the family itself comprises of a convicted arsonist, a former Bunny girl, and a part-time private detective. James himself has had a sex-change to become Lauren, and most disturbingly, the Harries still believe their own mythology, that they are morally and intellectually superior to the rest of society.
  • Options
    gkabcgkabc Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is something that sounds cool and means nothing. It's like saying you are a doctor of thinking about stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahh, it's vogue to have a doctorate in bullsh!tting, thank you all :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    gkabc wrote: »
    It is something that sounds cool and means nothing. It's like saying you are a doctor of thinking about stuff.
    LOL :) So true! Metaphysics is a traditional branch of philosophy concerned with explaining the fundamental nature of being and the world that encompasses it, although the term is not easily defined. Traditionally, metaphysics attempts to answer two basic questions in the broadest possible terms:
    What is ultimately there?
    What is it like?
  • Options
    EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a doctor of metaphysics because her mum said so.
  • Options
    kikkakikka Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strangely, every member of the Harries family, the dog excepted ( I think ), is a Doctor of Metaphysics.

Self-certification is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    buy it on amazon hahahaha - like i haven't got a million other things more worthy of my money than that bull crap .
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,860
    Forum Member
    LOL :) So true! Metaphysics is a traditional branch of philosophy concerned with explaining the fundamental nature of being and the world that encompasses it, although the term is not easily defined. Traditionally, metaphysics attempts to answer two basic questions in the broadest possible terms:
    What is ultimately there?
    What is it like?

This

In Linguistics we use the term metalanguage to describe say grammar when we are talking about the properties or talking about language in a more conceptual way. It is sort of the language used to describe language/another language but not itself.:) Clear as mud?

Or to put it another way my understanding of a meta_____ is it doesn't have any stuff of its own but is a system used by people who know about something that does have stuff to talk about the stuff another thing has.;)

Get it, Got it, Good. :D

Oh and poor Lauren.
  • Options
    rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    This

In Linguistics we use the term metalanguage to describe say grammar when we are talking about the properties or talking about language in a more conceptual way. It is sort of the language used to describe language/another language but not itself.:) Clear as mud?

Or to put it another way my understanding of a meta_____ is it doesn't have any stuff of its own but is a system used by people who know about something that does have stuff to talk about the stuff another thing has.;)

Oh and poor Lauren.

is that you, Julie Goodyear?:D
  • Options
    Bev75Bev75 Posts: 1,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thumbs up OP, and to alot of comments thereafter. Yet Laurens fans still fail to see the scam artist for what she is.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,860
    Forum Member
    rolergirl wrote: »
    is that you, Julie Goodyear?:D

No it's nanna.:D
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This

Oh and poor Lauren.

Shurrup you and stop being clever. :p
  • Options
    sandy50sandy50 Posts: 22,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you too can be a Dr of Metaphysics,
    order your Phd online, at a snip
    £24.99 and we'll throw in a bit of bs with it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a certified Rock 'n' Roll Doctor (University of Lowell-George)
  • Options
    MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    sandy50 wrote: »
    you too can be a Dr of Metaphysics,
    order your Phd online, at a snip
    £24.99 and we'll throw in a bit of bs with it

How much for a Dramaturgy Phd?

Could you throw in a counselling qualification too? ;)
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    How much for a Dramaturgy Phd?

Could you throw in a counselling qualification too? ;)

and don't forget floristry....
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you saying they just bought their phds off the internet? is she even a graduate aside from the fake certificate?

Was there not something dodgy about Dr Gillian McKeiths PhD and she had to stop calling herself doctor on her show
  • Options
    MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    maincoony wrote: »
    I am a certified Rock 'n' Roll Doctor (University of Lowell-George)

Oooh - get me one of those....

....thanks, I'll eat it here! :D