Royalties

occyoccy Posts: 64,975
Forum Member
✭✭
How much do Actors and Actress receive for repeats of films like James Bond ( Say Roger Moore) ITV are showing currently on a Sunday or Open All Hours Starring late Ronnie Baker who BBC2 are on a Sunday?

Comments

• dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea, I think hardly anything, if at all with the older shows
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Don't know the amount, but it will depend on what's in their contract when they make the show in the first place.

I suspect for some the contract only allows repeat fees for the first couple of showings or there is no repeat fee at all, judging by the number of times and the frequency some shows are repeated while others are only ever seen once.

I know that Dave Allen (comedian deceased) had it in his contract that there would be no repeats of his shows at all, but a short while ago they did a tribute compilation and got round it for that one repeat of some of his material.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't get much.

I rememberJohn Inman saying he got a cheque from the BBC when they showed six repeats of Are you Being Served.

The cheque came to £16. :D
  • VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting responses given that when anyone asks 'Why do they only show certain series of a programme', the usual guess is 'residuals'.

I think it varies from contract to contract and to what extent the actor is the 'star' of the programme.

In some cases it seems that actors can completely block repeats; two specific instances are David Jason blocking repeats of 'The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs' and James Bolem, for a while, blocking 'Likely Lad's' repeats.

In these cases it is not unknown for other, less active (or retired), actors to bemoan the fact that they are being denied residuals because a sucessful, working, actor is blocking transmissions of their work.
  • spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Vetinari wrote: »
    In some cases it seems that actors can completely block repeats; two specific instances are David Jason blocking repeats of 'The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs' and James Bolem, for a while, blocking 'Likely Lad's' repeats.

I believe Martin Shaw blocked repeats of 'The Professions' for a while, he only relented after Gordon Jackson's Widow was having financial trouble.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure, I think lots of ITV shows for the 70's had contracts which had strict repeat conditions which allowed actors to block repeats or video releases.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    spearce8 wrote: »
    I believe Martin Shaw blocked repeats of 'The Professions' for a while, he only relented after Gordon Jackson's Widow was having financial trouble.

IIRC he was widely criticised for being a "luvvie", but I read an interview where he said that ITV was still getting huge ratings for Professionals repeats. But the actor's contracts meant they got virtually nothing, so he blocked the repeats in the hope that there would be a re-negotiation.

Slightly O/T but I saw a programme on SKY Arts about Jerry Lewis, and he said he made many millions from the movie "The Bellboy" which was rushed out to fill a Summer slot in the movie release calendar.
    Lewis, wrote directed, starred in and financed the movie himself by shooting at the hotel where he was performing, and offered to do extra shows to pay for his use of the hotel.
    When the Studio saw the movie they hated it, and refused to pay his production costs - so he "owned" the movie negatives and prints, so he got all the revenue the movie made, and the Studio just got a distributor's fee - this is normally the other way around.
    As it was a largely silent movie it did huge business in every country round the World.
    Jerry Lewis claimed he made over £300 million over the years, from that one movie
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    On your original point - I would have thought most actors in a movie would get nothing for TV showings.

Lead Actors who got "points" (% of profits) might get something, as the film rights being sold regularly would generate income form the film, so Alec Guinness etc who took points for Star Wars would get something every time the TV deal is renewed.

Again this would depend on whether they got "gross points" or net points - net profit points. A lot of TV shows and Movies surprisingly make a huge loss so the studios can avoid paying actors, writers and production companies the fees they are owed.

See "Will and Grace" where the creators sued NBC http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2003-12-12-will-grace_x.htm
  • JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Residual payments for out of time repeats of BBC programmes have a published scaled agreed with Equity and it depends when they are shown. For say an appearance on a programme made in 1974 reshown in daytime on BBC Two, the performer would get roughly 3.5 times the original contracted fee.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always wondered this myself and I guess a lot of it is all down to the small print of a contract. This website gives a good description of how residuals are worked out for the actor as well as heirs.
    http://www.sagaftra.org/content/residuals-faq
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe not an actor, but an acquaintance of mine wrote the theme tune for a TV programme that ran on ITV for four series. Because the tune was used in pre-show promotion, and four times per show (before / after show, before / after ads) he earned just under £1,000 a month for each 18 week run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    It totally depends on the performers contract.

Thinks have changed considerably in the 1990's onwards. Whilst actors receive better protection and minimum fees, the balance is now in the production companies favour. Unless you are a "known" actor with the power to sell a product.

These days most well-known TV actors get paid a one-off fee which (supposedly) "compensates" for future royalties. Or they'll get an agreed fee for another repeat or so. The industry is well aware that new media platforms cause long-winded negotiation's with artists, so they try to pay them off with an initial deal.

Actors (especially from the 60/70/80's) are very moany about royalties, but they signed fair contracts, with perhaps crap agents. Many actors accepted one-off payments and cashed in their royalty rights, and often complain they lost out.

As regards to Martin Shaw, his beef was he felt the programme was not artistically good enough for him, and blocked it on that basis, until Gordon Jacksons widow contacted him