Options

If the Tories win the election ,will they kill of the BBC

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
Forum Member
I suspect ,using the excuse of passing the stewardship of the BBC trust to Ofcom , David Cameron's agenda is to kill of the BBC ,by piecemeal privatisation of sections of the BBC.

Comments

• Options
    Secret-SquirrelSecret-Squirrel Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And replace it with UK Gold?????????
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pick TV will take its place as channel 1
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect ,using the excuse of passing the stewardship of the BBC trust to Ofcom , David Cameron's agenda is to kill of the BBC ,by piecemeal privatisation of sections of the BBC.

We will have to wait and see, no good second guessing.
  • Options
    tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they hate it...just look at history of the tories from 1979 and thought the 1980's when so many parts of the BBC were sold to private sector and The set up of Channel FOUR which is halfway house between public & private . It was in the 1980's that BBC was told to use makers of show from private sector ...
    Sadly the tories hate any public sector and love to sell it off cheaply for profits for their supporters. ...
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to comment on this, but I know this is a pro BBC forum.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    I'd like to comment on this, but I know this is a pro BBC forum.

Go ahead. I like hearing the opinions of others.

The only issue I have is where those opinions are based on mistruths or just totally incorrect.
    In that case I would correct the person.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    The set up of Channel FOUR which is halfway house between public & private .

The Channel 4 setup is as outlined in Labour's June 1978 White Paper (following the recommendations of the 1977 Annan Report).

When the Tories came to office in 1979 they handed control to the IBA (rather than an OBA) but they didn't alter Annan's funding or programming proposals.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised.

Tory = hell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were to happen it would be us that would get screwed, as usual!

It would only benefit the pay TV companies, the subscription free services would suffer unless funding was maintained.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, this is one of my fears too. I am sort of expecting it.
    Tbh, if they want to save at least the same amount as money as the last 5 years, then there are only a few areas big enough to cut which would make a worthwhile move in that direction. BBC is one of them....
    The most likely outcome would be that BBC chs would go on a monthly subscription service, self funding similar to sky.
    That raises a few technical and financial questions.....

Most freeview tv's & freeview boxes are limited to free to air reception. In other words, most have no pay card slot or upgrade option. Many people would need to either replace like for like with new equipment which featured such a card reader, or buy an additional box with card reader to hook up to their existing TV. Ironically, sky and cable subscribers could simply have the BBC bundle added to their existing package/card. Regardless of rights or wrongs of such a move, I would urge this move to be combined with a full HD compliance move as well. Just so we don't encounter 2 upgrades in the space of a few years.
    Freesat boxes & freesat enabled tv's face more or less the same challenge, the only difference being how the signal reaches the household. I actually think, a higher % of freesat boxes have an upgrade slot for a possible retro fit card reader (mostly thanks to humax for having such a large slice of the freesat market and the foresight to include it).

But what about BBC radio. I would think radio 5 is a prime candidate for selling, but the others would have a funding issue. If people had to choose to subscribe to the BBC TV chs, everyone inc non payers would still be able to tune into free radio. Maybe the radio stations would have to go down the commercial route with adverts.

Then there is the little fact that itv and ch4 get some money from the current license fee - how to replace that?
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Then there is the little fact that itv and ch4 get some money from the current license fee - how to replace that?

ITV and Channel 4 don't get any income from the licence fee. It was suggested in 2009 but it didn't happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »

I didn't think they did. I believe it was suggested, as was top-slicing for broadband roll out, but none of the suggestions ever went through.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tory = hell.
    Such insightful political comment. I take it that Labour/SNP/Green/Plaid Cymru = heaven then. Where's the exit door?
  • Options
    RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Tories win the election ,will they kill of the BBC
    Yes, it goes against everything the conservatives stand for. They hate it nearly as much as I do. I would think they will do a phasing out process by each year reducing the licence fee and reducing the amount of channels and output starting with the embarrassment of TV broadcasting that is BBC 3.

The BBC is no longer needed, There are many worldwide providers of TV content now that we can access 24 hours a day. For example just the average youtube channel like Vsauce in one 10 minute video provides more intelligent insight than watching 6 months of BBC1 primetime output.

So the sooner the BBC goes the better. To waste nearly £4 Billion every year on frivolous TV entertainment is sick, when there are other more worthwhile things to spend money on. So scrap it please Mr. Cameron.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    Yes, it goes against everything the conservatives stand for. They hate it nearly as much as I do. I would think they will do a phasing out process by each year reducing the licence fee and reducing the amount of channels and output starting with the embarrassment of TV broadcasting that is BBC 3.

The BBC is no longer needed, There are many worldwide providers of TV content now that we can access 24 hours a day. For example just the average youtube channel like Vsauce in one 10 minute video provides more intelligent insight than watching 6 months of BBC1 primetime output.

So the sooner the BBC goes the better. To waste nearly £4 Billion every year on frivolous TV entertainment is sick when there are other more worthwhile things to spend money on. So scrap it please Mr. Cameron.
    Hahahahaha.

Oh wait, you're serious!
  • Options
    RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »
    Hahahahaha.

Oh wait, you're serious!
    Yes 100% serious, I take it you disagree with some element of my post but you've been watching too much low quality BBC programming like Mrs. Browns boys and Citizen Khan that you can no longer put together an actual rebuttal and have to resort to "hahaha and LOL".
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    Yes 100% serious, I take it you disagree with some element of my post ".

Read Barwise and Picard https://reutersinstitute.politics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/What%20if%20there%20were%20no%20BBC%20TV.pdf
    It is called "What if there were no BBC TV "

Also note that BBC TV is only about 2/3 of BBC expenditure .,,

And you might like to see this from 2013 showing how much more the BCc dues fir less money unreal terms than 20 years ago http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/bbc-20-years-comp.pdf
    In those days BBC Was 40 % of UK broadcast income
    It us now under 22% ...

You can say 40p a day ....
    But another way is to say that sky paid for football coverage about the BBC total ANNUAL income ..
    . And that football output hours is about the BBC DAILY TV hours output
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well make sure the Tories don't get in people then.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories believe in a smaller state (why is the state involved in TV?) and also want to make another range of very big cuts.

The BBC must therefore be a prime target.

I expect the only bit to survive free to air would be the parliament ch (paid for by gen tax and delivered thru the BBC, but free to air).
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    The BBC is probably at the most out of touch period ever in its history.

I see no return to its heyday.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »

Is it? Despite increasing competition millions tune in to BBC TV, Radio and use the iplayer. Out of touch it is not.
  • Options
    PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »

You also see value in paying $100 to watch two guys fighting in HD. Everybody should disregard your posts as they are absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps if QT didn't fill its audiences with loony left activists most weeks the Tories would think the corporation is truly impartial.
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst we all know the Tories are anti-State and anti-public service, I think even they realise how important the BBC is to us as a nation...supporting UK creativity...making a huge contribution to our national life...and the fact that it's funding structure means that programming is free from commercial and/or political interference. The BBC puts service ahead of profit which must be maintained.

We also need to remember that the BBC plays a vital role in the wider broadcasting sector. It forces the ad-channels to compete on quality. If there was no BBC, the poor standard of the commercial sector would be even poorer.

There is also the matter of technology as raised up thread. There isn't the technology available to scramble the channels. Then there is BBC radio. Which government is going to come out and say that everyone needs to replace their TVs and boxes etc (at huge cost) oh and your brilliant BBC will now be infected by ads and/or a huge rise in charges...for a much poorer service. The terrible Tories are nasty, but I don't believe they will destroy one of our finest institutions.

Vote for parties who believe in public services. Don't vote for right-wing outfits. It is that easy.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    You also see value in paying $100 to watch two guys fighting in HD. Everybody should disregard your posts as they are absolute rubbish.

Value is placed on the individual.

One thing is definitely not nonsense and that is there's no way ever the BBC will get to screen a big time fight!