How much trust do you have in the UK voting system?

2»

Comments

• DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postal voting allows one thing - early indication of voting preferences

postal votes are counted before polling day, so they can offer some insight into the voting preferences (in the same way that RAJAR results tell the industry how many people listen to radio stations)

the whole system is open to abuse, but then again so is the FPTP system that we use rather than PR voting
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    DarthGore wrote: »
    I have no trust, as people I know are listed on the electoral roll correctly, but cannot vote as their polling cards have not been delivered.

They have tried to turn up and provide photo ID with proof of address, and they are refused due to not having their polling card, which they have not received.

Either the postal workers have failed to deliver (not impossible) or there is another reason why they have not received their polling card in time, which has now prevented them from registering their vote

You do not need your polling card to vote. As long as you know your name and address, that is ALL that is required. I didn't have mine this morning.

AFAIK, you only need to provide photo ID if someone else has claimed to be you - you can then vote, and their ballot can be found and removed