Options

has streaming "killed" the charts ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
Forum Member
✭✭
Ok, maybe not "killed" but stifled them ? Is it me or are they just dull now ? Little variety, with almost no chance for older acts to chart high I have never known such generic dullness.
Or am I wide of the mark ?

Comments

• Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I thought you meant killed them off, apropos R1 moving it to Friday or whatever they're doing, not just that they're full of 'generic dullness'. That's nothing to do with streaming; you're just getting old. Or at least, older. Don't worry, it happens to us all. :)

If anything, streaming allows, in theory, for a much greater variety of music, as it's much easier to come across stuff you probably wouldn't have - "If you like this, try this" etc - if you were browsing on-line or, especially, in a shop, where you're more likely to stick within the genre you were looking at.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No

Shite mainstream music has killed the charts and it has been happening for far longer than streaming has been around.
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I have no idea. I haven't looked at the charts since I was a teenager.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »

If anything, streaming allows, in theory, for a much greater variety of music, as it's much easier to come across stuff you probably wouldn't have - "If you like this, try this" etc - if you were browsing on-line or, especially, in a shop, where you're more likely to stick within the genre you were looking at.

But if the charts are increasingly based on statistics obtained from sources where listening is free, then won't all those "if you like this, try this" recommendations start overwhelming the data? If you can listen to an unlimited number of songs for free, how does the charts company know which ones you like?

When this topic came up previously I found an article by Bob Stanley (journalist/St Etienne popster) which said that being interested in the record sales charts is a peculiarly British phenomenon. It may just turn out that the increase in streaming is changing British attitudes and we no longer care what songs sell the most because we no longer bother to buy them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    But if the charts are increasingly based on statistics obtained from sources where listening is free, then won't all those "if you like this, try this" recommendations start overwhelming the data? If you can listen to an unlimited number of songs for free, how does the charts company know which ones you like?

When this topic came up previously I found an article by Bob Stanley (journalist/St Etienne popster) which said that being interested in the record sales charts is a peculiarly British phenomenon. It may just turn out that the increase in streaming is changing British attitudes and we no longer care what songs sell the most because we no longer bother to buy them.
    Oh, I've no idea how the charts are compiled or how the chart companies decide which stats to include. I was just addressing the OP's question that streaming has led to a decline in the variety of music that makes up the chart, whereas AFAIC, the ability to hop from the style of music that you went looking for to another completely different one is far easier for a 'casual' listener to do via streaming, than it is using, say, Amazon or the supermarket.

Like I say, I've no idea how it's calculated, but assuming each stream counts toward helping a song into the charts, then the easier it is to hop around, the easier it should be, in theory, for less 'mainstream' tracks to chart at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I've no idea how the charts are compiled or how the chart companies decide which stats to include. I was just addressing the OP's question that streaming has led to a decline in the variety of music that makes up the chart, whereas AFAIC, the ability to hop from the style of music that you went looking for to another completely different one is far easier for a 'casual' listener to do via streaming, than it is using, say, Amazon or the supermarket.

Like I say, I've no idea how it's calculated, but assuming each stream counts toward helping a song into the charts, then the easier it is to hop around, the easier it should be, in theory, for less 'mainstream' tracks to chart at all.

The other question is whether the streaming services' recommendations do inspire people to listen to a wider variety of music. Personally I find new music by reading reviews in magazines, discussions in forums, and by listening to radio stations that have a track record of playing interesting music.

But others probably see that as an outdated approach.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    With the introduction of Spotify, I have listened to plenty of new bands.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like streaming so I can tell if I like someone's music and to see if it's worth buying, especially for newer artists.
    Now with older artists who I have followed for years and who I know generally make music I like, I just go and buy their albums but with newer artists I like to hear their stuff before buying. Sort of like trying clothes on in a store before buying.

Maybe they could do something like so that an artist's music is only available to stream for a limited time for a few weeks around the time of the album's release. So you have a chance to see if it's something you want to buy but after it's available to buy, it's not for streaming so it doesn't cut into traditional sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other question is whether the streaming services' recommendations do inspire people to listen to a wider variety of music. Personally I find new music by reading reviews in magazines, discussions in forums, and by listening to radio stations that have a track record of playing interesting music.

You mean you actually admit to reading reviews instead of <gasp> making your own mind up?! That's bad enough, but then you have the gall to admit you...listen to the radio !! :o

I'm sure many people who use this forum do the same, but you must never be so un-cool as to admit it !

;-):D:D
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No

Shite mainstream music has killed the charts and it has been happening for far longer than streaming has been around.

exactly....

shite mainstream or manufactured music has made them pretty lame.

yep, its yet another 'blame waterman' moment... and ill never stop blaming waterman for making manufactured music 'respectable' . from a business pov, a masterstroke, but giving the young a pre packaged product killed creativity and innovation. hence no variety (in comparison the retro charts).
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Streaming hasn't changed the type of music in the charts at all. The only difference is that the sort of singles that would go in at 27 one week and out the next now miss the top 40 altogether, so there are fewer new entries in the top 40 each week, and big hits are staying in the top 40 even longer.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's 100 streams = 1 sale (with only 10 streams per song per day per customer counting, to prevent somebody having a song on repeat all day to get a higher placing).
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    I think OMI 'Cheerleader' is an interesting example.

It was available on Spotify back in January and the song made the UK top 75 purely on "stream sales". However, once music channels and radio stations started playing the song more, its streams week-on-week rocketed.

So airplay benefits streaming, and radio stations/music channels have a very limited playlist. For me, this is why the charts have become so stale.

If radio stations/music channels had a much bigger playlist and gave more songs airtime then this would probably be reflected on streaming sites.

Hence there would be more songs benefitting from the increased airplay and so 21-40 in the UK chart wouldn't consist of the same songs that were between 21-40 three months ago.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also find new music through reading magazines and reviews, i subecribe to both classic Rock and Prog, the radio less so because they often just play the same old songs from a generic list of bands on rotation.

As for Spotify, I have found many, many new bands through it.
  • Options
    eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, maybe not "killed" but stifled them ? Is it me or are they just dull now ? Little variety, with almost no chance for older acts to chart high I have never known such generic dullness.
    Or am I wide of the mark ?

I think it has, songs sell really good still and that is what the charts are suppose to be about, songs that sell the most on a weekly basis hardly stand a chance of getting to no1 after you add the songs people have been listening to the most, for me I used to follow the charts all the time but since it's been changed to add the most listened to tracks to it, it's dead to me nowadays and is unfair to artists that find it hard to chart coz of this, it's basically killed off madonnas career.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Streaming has killed music in general. People nowadays don't know what high quality music recording is, as majority of people do listen to music on Youtube and various streaming services, and not CD's or Vinyls. Music engineers put so much effort and knowledge into producing a good record, and then people stream it, where half of the details are lost during the process.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    Streaming has killed music in general. People nowadays don't know what high quality music recording is, as majority of people do listen to music on Youtube and various streaming services, and not CD's or Vinyls. Music engineers put so much effort and knowledge into producing a good record, and then people stream it, where half of the details are lost during the process.

I remember back in 2007 going up my brothers house and my niece was outside with some friends listening to Rihanna on her mobile phone. The sound quality was typically rubbish, like listening to on hold music when you contact a company. :D

Would explain why minimalist crap like Anaconda by Nicki Minaj was popular with 18-24 year olds last year. Who needs a brilliantly produced song when you can just have noise put to a basic beat for 3 minutes.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »

Even streaming @ 128 kBit/s I would dispute whether "half" of the detail is lost.

The reality is the majority of people have never rweally "listened" to music, it is usually on in the background whilst they do something else so any perceived loss of quality is irrelevant in many cases.
  • Options
    Kirsty_Jones90Kirsty_Jones90 Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the charts are very dull indeed and songs tend to stay in there for a year now.

Also if the uk top 40 is to be the be all and end all:

People only like:
    -watered down dance music
    -tracks where someone collaborates with 20 other people
    -tracks by singers where their clothes have fallen off :kitty::kitty::kitty:
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why haven't people become sick to death of listening to talentless numpties in fancy dress, who speak into a microphone and then get it electronically tweaked into a computer-generated caricature of music?

I was genuinely forced out of Halfords last week when they had Radio 1 playing in their car stereo department. That kind of music could easily be streamed at 64kbps and nobody would be able to tell the difference, because you can't really downgrade something that's churned out electronically by a machine. Perhaps that's why it's being pushed so much, to hide the deficiencies in the current quality of DAB.
  • Options
    rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, Radio 1 have.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Things are so bad,I miss Steps ;-)
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well for me radio no longer in general introduces me to new music I am interested in. Infact with regard to British radio very little new unestablished music gets played anywhere outside the BBC. And even the BBC are scarce with it especially in peak hours . A mixture of recommendations from Last FM and Spotify has introduced me to a lot of great new music. But I am afraid to say that in general Joe Public aren't interested in discovering new music and they just want to hear the same tiresome stuff they already know. This has always been the case but when psychical music formats were king it kept the charts moving along at a better speed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did say "radio stations that have a track record of playing interesting music".

For me that means listening online to stations from the USA or Europe. Don't know why, but there's an Italian station that is far closer to my taste in music than any from the UK.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well for me radio no longer in general introduces me to new music I am interested in. Infact with regard to British radio very little new unestablished music gets played anywhere outside the BBC. And even the BBC are scarce with it especially in peak hours . A mixture of recommendations from Last FM and Spotify has introduced me to a lot of great new music. But I am afraid to say that in general Joe Public aren't interested in discovering new music and they just want to hear the same tiresome stuff they already know. This has always been the case but when psychical music formats were king it kept the charts moving along at a better speed.
    I meant to say physical formats as most people might have guessed. I don't know what a psychical music format is?:blush: