Are the reviews of GTA 5 biased ?

SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,068
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is why i can't stand people that review games. Everywhere i look i see GTA 5 getting high marks like 9/10, 9.5/10 and even 100/100.

It's stupid, how can a game that has a disastrous online mode have such a high rating ?

I have seen games get ripped to shreds because of the smallest of glitches but because this is GTA everyone is fine with it, talk about biased.

I'm a fan of GTA myself but even i couldn't give this game such a high rating. With the online mode being as bad as it is i would only give this game a 7 out of 10 max.

For some strange reason people use reviews for guidance but how can you trust a review when they don't give fair ratings ?

Comments

• Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of the best games I have ever played and I haven't even touched the on-line mode yet. I think the majority of the reviews have been completely accurate.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most reviews were released before the online mode and all its problems started.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They reviewed the game based on it's single player merits alone, before online was released properly. They're not biased at all.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strictly speaking GTAV is one thing, GTA Online is a seperate entity and each should be treated on it's own merits and reviewed as such.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    They reviewed the game based on it's single player merits alone, before online was released properly. They're not biased at all.

I'm sorry but how can you review a game if you haven't played the whole game ? No game should have review until the whole game is available. Surely right now the game is a 7 our of 10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They reviewed half a game so the review scores are not exactly accurate or a fair representation of the mess the other half of the game is in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strictly speaking GTAV is one thing, GTA Online is a seperate entity and each should be treated on it's own merits and reviewed as such.

No they shouldn't. If they were their own seperate thing then they would be released seperately.

Nobody says that about any other game.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    They reviewed half a game so the review scores are not exactly accurate or a fair representation of the mess the other half of the game is in.
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    I'm sorry but how can you review a game if you haven't played the whole game ? No game should have review until the whole game is available. Surely right now the game is a 7 our of 10.

They were treating Online as a separate game, not as part of the whole experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they shouldn't. If they were their own seperate thing then they would be released seperately.

Nobody says that about any other game.

Its as bad as the people saying you cant moan about it because its a free game. Yet none of these people can explain where to get the game for free :rolleyes:

Its a package, it included single and multiplayer elements and should be reviewed as a package. Or the reviews should make it clear they are only reviewing a portion of the game.
    They were treating Online as a separate game, not as part of the whole experience.

They can treat it however the hell they like, it doesn't change the fact I bought a package.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why though, what is the point of that ?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I'd give it a 10/10 without the online mode. In fact the game was reviewed without taking it into account. Whether there will be separate reviews for GTA Online I'm not sure but for me it has always been a solo experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What were reviewers supposed to do? Online wasn't turned on til last week, every single review I've read is based on the single-player portion of the game, and never made mention of the quality or otherwise of the online experience.

GTA:Online has always been packaged and promoted as a seperate feature which a copy of GTAV grants you access to.

The fact that it wasn't even turned on until two weeks after GTAV came out should have been something of a clue. GTAV is a single-player experience and that's what was reviewed in September.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What were reviewers supposed to do? Online wasn't turned on til last week, every single review I've read is based on the single-player portion of the game, and never made mention of the quality or otherwise of the online experience.

GTA:Online has always been packaged and promoted as a seperate feature which a copy of GTAV grants you access to.

The fact that it wasn't even turned on until two weeks after GTAV came out should have been something of a clue. GTAV is a single-player experience and that's what was reviewed in September.

Then they should review it again, or better yet why not wait until the whole game was available ?

Also i am not having this crap that the online mode is seperate feature, it's part of the game simple as that. Rockstar themselves have been going on about how great the online mode was going to be.

Maybe reviewers should just ignore every online mode in games from now on :rolleyes:
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then they should review it again, or better yet why not wait until the whole game was available ?

Also i am not having this crap that the online mode is seperate feature, it's part of the game simple as that
    . Rockstar themselves have been going on about how great the online mode was going to be.

Maybe reviewers should just ignore every online mode in games from now on :rolleyes:

Of course it is a seperate feature. I haven't even touched it yet and probably won't as I don't like online games. The single player alone is worth a 10/10 score.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you honestly can't see how this game differs from a CoD or FIFA or other releases then nobody is going to be able to change your mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    Of course it is a seperate feature. I haven't even touched it yet and probably won't as I don't like online games. The single player alone is worth a 10/10 score.

Yes the single player is 10/10 fair enough, but reviewers must review the online mode as well, it's their job. Now that the online mode is available it should be reviewed again. And it's not a seperate feature, we buy the game that includes both offline and online mode, it's not like we can get the online mode seperately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you honestly can't see how this game differs from a CoD or FIFA or other releases then nobody is going to be able to change your mind.

Well there isn't much difference really, FIFA has an offline mode and online mode, they aren't reviewed seperately and rightly so, same with CoD. GTA should be treated no different in that way.

If people don't want the online mode to be part of a review then an online mode shouldn't be included.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So reviewers on September 16th were supposed to say: "The embargo has lifted, but we're not going to post our reviews now as the online bit hasn't been turned on so we'll tell you what we thought in a couple of weeks"... were they?
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Not at all!

They reviewed GTA5 on the single player alone and it totally deserved its top marks.

Online has a teething issues right now and we cant moan about something that came free with the game.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    Not at all!

They reviewed GTA5 on the single player alone and it totally deserved its top marks.

Online has a teething issues right now and we cant moan about something that came free with the game.

Whats the free part though? Maybe the online was the bit you paid for and is crap, and its the SP that was free?

See why this "free" argument doesn't work?

Reviews that dont include online, must say so otherwise they are lying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please post me a release-week review which states it bases it's score on the multiplayer as well as the single player experience.

Go on.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fair to say that the online mode has had some techinical problems (just like Rockstar warned it would have) but these issues don't alter the quality of the final game.

To slate it is like giving The Godfather a bad review because the DVD is scratched or citisising Shakespeare because a page was missing. You can't deny that these are annoyances but it doesn't change that fact that the game is what it is..... A masterpiece!

The review scores were accurate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »

I paid £40 for it, can you point me to a place I can get GTA Online for free? I know someone who would love to play the Online mode if they could get it for free.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fair to say that the online mode has had some techinical problems (just like Rockstar warned it would have) but these issues don't alter the quality of the final game.

To slate it is like giving The Godfather a bad review because the DVD is scratched or citisising Shakespeare because a page was missing. You can't deny that these are annoyances but it doesn't change that fact that the game is what it is..... A masterpiece!

The review scores were accurate.

That entirely depends on what you wanted from the game though. Maybe someone wasn't after a single player experience?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I paid £40 for it, can you point me to a place I can get GTA Online for free? I know someone who would love to play the Online mode if they could get it for free.

Where has this "GTA online is free" crap come from ? i don't see anyone else using that excuse for other online games. It's like people aren't allowed to point out flaws :rolleyes: