Options

Band Aid - Longevity

Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
Forum Member
If you watch the video for Band Aid's Original "Do they know it's Christmas", there are no artists performing on the song (that I could see or listed online) who have passed on.

Paula Yates appears in the video background, but does not peform
Bowie recorded a voice message which went on the B-side, but he was not there on the recording day.

However, other more recent Charity videos have featured quite a few now, recently deceased, performers.

Perfect Day (1997 BBC version)
Lou Reed, David Bowie, Tammy Wynette, Stephen Gately

Is This the way to Amarillo (20022 Peter Kay version)
Anne Kirkbride, Ronnie Corbett, Keith Harris, and Jimmy Savile (although I can imagine his contribution being edited out somehow in the future)

Why are there so few artists from a much older video outliving others from more recent singles ??

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were the performers on Band Aid younger because it was aimed at a younger market with older ones being the ones too busy to appear live or thought they were too important to spend a day in a studio? Though with so many people involved it is surprising that none died. It could be an interesting for More or Less to analyse statistically.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    band aids usually last one week tops, this is good going
  • Options
    Robin TrippRobin Tripp Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Do They Know It's Time To Die?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You realise you've probably cursed one of them to die within a week now?
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to go slightly off-topic, if that 1984 Band Aid line-up was replicated today, all hell would have broken loose due to the lack of black faces. The only ones there were 3 members of Kool and the Gang and Jody Watley, late of Shalamar. And they were only probably on that record due to the fact that the single was recorded on the Phonogram record label, which was the parent company of their respective record labels.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to go slightly off-topic, if that 1984 Band Aid line-up was replicated today, all hell would have broken loose due to the lack of black faces. The only ones there were 3 members of Kool and the Gang and Jody Watley, late of Shalamar. And they were only probably on that record due to the fact that the single was recorded on the Phonogram record label, which was the parent company of their respective record labels.

I think Geldorf was purely practical and aimed for maximum sales so used popular British artists who happened to be mainly white, hardly surprising with the population being also mainly white and the majority of the black artists being American. It was also obviously very dependent on who could be persuaded to perform at short notice.
  • Options
    Nick_LovelandNick_Loveland Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Stuart Adamson from Big country involved quite prominently ?

Sorry, he's been gone a long time.............
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As well as still being still alive, most of them still have pretty strong careers, or are seen as still pretty famous, with the possible exception of Marilyn. Do the more recent ones have so many big hitters ?
  • Options
    Rubbish NameRubbish Name Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't Stuart Adamson from Big country involved quite prominently ?

Sorry, he's been gone a long time.............

I don't think they were in the song; like Bowie, they contributed a small spoken message on the B side.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Quo boys are writing their wills as we type :o
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »

They had better not - I've got tickets to see them in August!
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    As well as still being still alive, most of them still have pretty strong careers, or are seen as still pretty famous, with the possible exception of Marilyn. Do the more recent ones have so many big hitters ?

That was my first thought too. A great deal more musical longevity than, if memory serves, the second Band Aid cast.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomvoxx wrote: »

Good luck with that :o:p
  • Options
    tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »

Still going strong back in the studio , currently on tour till Dec then they will take it easy or frame will the others will do other projects and you will still get the odd quo gig
  • Options
    tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    tomvoxx wrote: »

Rocked last week in Blackpool , still plenty left in the tank