The Coroner

Comments

• millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched some of these episodes, not bad just afternoon drama. Usually at work when these are on, just happened to see it. Had to smile at the lobster they call Jeff, Matt Bardock character in Casualty.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's fine. It makes for a refreshing change from the quiz shows that have been shown in the same slot for months now.

The West Country accents I've heard have also been OK, apart from Katy Brand who went slightly OTT. It's not the most difficult accent to attempt.

That Ordinary Lies thing that was broadcast in primetime in the spring was no better than this.

I have loved this little series and am pleased to see that there is going to be another in the offing!..... I have been checking the time slot for weeks now hoping we are going to get another of these light hearted dramas, I love them!, I have enjoyed them all, Indian Doctor, The Doctor Blake Mysteries, A Place to call Home!...... Much, much better than all these second rate quiz shows and cooking progs they keep stuffing down our necks... Let them pay actors to do what they do best and not keep giving us reality of one sort or another!...............
  • Rosie PrimroseRosie Primrose Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    A west country accent must be quite hard to get right, without resorting to ooh arrr Wurzels type mimicry! I believe it's stronger around the Wilts/ Bristol area than it is in Devon and Cornwall.

I like Matt as he has a sweet, open face. Shame he seems to have either shaved his head or is going drastically bald, for this role. He played DC and DS Barnard in Frost and as I recall,
    ended up getting shot!

I was born in Cornwall but have lived all my life a mile and a half from the border in Devon. A true Cornish accent is absolutely beautiful, so soft and gentle and only true Cornish folk can do it. Words like "cow" are pronounced "ceow" ""down" is "deown" etc, programmes never, ever get it right. I love Doc Martin but the accents are shocking Louizzer being the worst, Bert and his son aren't too bad though.
    Here in Devon the accents vary widely, they change within a range of about 15 miles quite noticeably, it's a big county. I live in North West Devon and I'm proud to say im proper broad.......bleddy 'andsome!
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was born in Cornwall but have lived all my life a mile and a half from the border in Devon. A true Cornish accent is absolutely beautiful, so soft and gentle and only true Cornish folk can do it. Words like "cow" are pronounced "ceow" ""down" is "deown" etc, programmes never, ever get it right. I love Doc Martin but the accents are shocking Louizzer being the worst, Bert and his son aren't too bad though.
    Here in Devon the accents vary widely, they change within a range of about 15 miles quite noticeably, it's a big county. I live in North West Devon and I'm proud to say im proper broad.......bleddy 'andsome!

In Torbay you would struggle to find a Devon accent with all the incomers from London and Birmingham, and visitors from Wales and the North. If the series reflected this then it would lose some of it's appeal.

I like the way Jane leaves the Coroners Office (Bayards Cove, Dartmouth) walks up the hill to the Coroners Court (Fore Street, Tones) and further up Fore Street is the South Dart Police station off Market Square.

What I am trying to identify is the Tower in the first episode and the first undertakers in the second episode?
  • ElementaireElementaire Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    What I am trying to identify is the Tower in the first episode and the first undertakers in the second episode?

Think it's Gribbin Tower, on Gribbin Head, Fowey.
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it's Gribbin Tower, on Gribbin Head, Fowey.

I think your spot on. I did not think they had gone outside Devon but they must have.
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Is there any word on a 2nd series?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This creeps back onto BBC 1 on Monday at 2.00pm.

This should satisfy those who don't think there's enough "exciting drama on BBC afternoon TV."
    It's bland enough to not wake you if you nod off whilst it's on.

Although to be fair, it wasn't that bad for daytime TV, if you like Claire Goose.

But then anything is better than the usual fare of cookery/house/auction/quiz programmes.
  • Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,380
    Forum Member
    This creeps back onto BBC 1 on Monday at 2.00pm.

This should satisfy those who don't think there's enough "exciting drama on BBC afternoon TV."
    It's bland enough to not wake you if you nod off whilst it's on.

Although to be fair, it wasn't that bad for daytime TV, if you like Claire Goose.

But then anything is better than the usual fare of cookery/house/auction/quiz programmes.

Good, I never nod off when it is on. Not sure on Claire Goose, but love Matt Baldock.
    I hate cookery and house programmes so thanks for letting us know
  • MessaroundabitMessaroundabit Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope we get a peek of Claire's knickers again. ☺️😀
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh good where the coroner runs around solving all the crimes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Oh good where the coroner runs around solving all the crimes!

To be fair, it happens in a lot of dramas.

Remember "Silent Witness?

There's a host of US shows with the same format.

It's all "smoke and mirrors."

Digressing a bit.
    You know the big Humvee's that the TV CSI Miami ride around in?

They don't, in the real world they use a small van similar to the one in which the Post Office delivers your local mail.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    Bump as S2 starts this afternoon on BBC1 but at 14:15 and NOT the time stated above.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame series 1 isn't repeated anywhere.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    Shame series 1 isn't repeated anywhere.

Given this are only 45 minutes long so made ready for screening on commercial TV it amazes me UKTV with their access to BBC shows haven't screened S1 onAlibi or Drama in the run up to S2 starting.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Given this are only 45 minutes long so made ready for screening on commercial TV it amazes me UKTV with their access to BBC shows haven't screened S1 onAlibi or Drama in the run up to S2 starting.

I agree with you.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That photo supposedly from 1976 has a lad in a French football shirt from 1984. They won the Euros that year.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I hope we get a peek of Claire's knickers again. ☺️😀
    That's the reason I watch it - she is still Hot.....plus the great locations, all stunning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think her exaggerated clumsiness adds anything other than irritation.
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    That photo supposedly from 1976 has a lad in a French football shirt from 1984. They won the Euros that year.

I don't think one can expect too much verisimilitude from a daytime light drama! But well spotted.

I'm not watching any more of these as the stereotype mardy teen daughter is driving me barmy.
    Forum Member
    I don't think her exaggerated clumsiness adds anything other than irritation.

That business with the policeman's mobile phones was pathetic. Served no purpose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    That business with the policeman's mobile phones was pathetic. Served no purpose.

It's a bit like the old Barney Bee's wife Joyce and daughter Cully, who served no real purpose whatsoever.
    Though when she was younger, Cully had all sorts of jobs, that coincidentally were woven into some of the plots. Towards the end, Cully "just sent postcards" which got mentioned but she didn't appear.

Some things are added to help make the characters seem less one dimensional.
    Forum Member

Some things are added to help make the characters seem less one dimensional.

They couldn't really be more! Though I realise daytime drama has to be sanitised, no blood and guts or sex. The locations are lovely and they seem to be lucky with the weather.
    Forum Member
    Shame it's daytime really, as we would get more than a peek when the copper finally gets to slip her a length . . . 😂

Nah then, nah then, less of this sort of talk!
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad this is back, I loved series one...... Roll on now, A Place to call Home....... we should be getting that back in January...........