Options

Guy Martin: Last Flight Of The Vulcan Bomber

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Is anyone watching this tonight at 19:30 on Channel 4?

Comments

• Options
    RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is an annoying oik, but the subject matter is interesting.

I'll record it and zip through the ads and the endless recaps that
    pollute most C4 shows.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I'll give it a go, I wonder if I've still got the BBC doc about the V bombers on my HD now, might be worth watching it again tomorrow as a chaser to this.

Guy's got a Merlin V12 from a Lancaster for those who didn't know.
    Starting now...
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd find this interesting but I find Guy Martin more annoying than ever. He really makes me cringe. He sounds like Paul Daniels on speed or something and comes across as really childish
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching with subs on. Far too much Guy Martin already. Why couldn't they make a straight documentary? Such a shame.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Love Guy and his programmes. He makes them interesting.

Lovely programme and sad that the Vulacn will not fly again.
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Love Guy and his programmes. He makes them interesting.

Lovely programme and sad that the Vulcan will not fly again.

I agree, I think he's great and really genuine. Glad he's had a hair cut though! His enthusiasm for the Vulcan is obvious and real.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    I agree, I think he's great and really genuine. Glad he's had a hair cut though! His enthusiasm for the Vulcan is obvious and real.

His hair is growing through the programme :D

He seems to be a natural at all he does. Top bloke in my eyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm a fair bit behind on timeshift, no mention of the rest of the V bombers, you'd think the other V bombers didn't exist based on this.
    Doc's I was thinking of: Channel 4 Engineering Britains Superweapons: The V Bombers.
    There's also BBC's Cold War: Hot Jets. The V Force.

Don't know why some people find Guy so objectionable, he's a machine nut, so he'll do for me, others can do their own thing.
    I've got more problems with the script/voiceover myself.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not keen on this presenter, but hes very enthusiastic - and i have to say,the programme and the contents are great. I saw it fly over a few weeks back and have known them since the 1960's so it is the end of an era-by the way I loved the "naughty" bit with that grounded one ! :p

The Handley Page Victor V-bomber was outstanding, too.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Im not keen on this presenter, but hes very enthusiastic - and i have to say,the programme and the contents are great. I saw it fly over a few weeks back and have known them since the 1960's so it is the end of an era-by the way I loved the "naughty" bit with that grounded one ! :p

The Handley Page Victor V-bomber was outstanding, too.

Well said....I'll echo that :)

I think the Victor was used as a tanker during Desert Storm much to the surprise of the Americans who were gobsmacked by it's design.
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant programme. The in flight shots filmed from another plane were awe inspiring. Time to read Vulcan 607 again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The less said about the Vickers Valiant the better :D
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Well said....I'll echo that :)

I think the Victor was used as a tanker during Desert Storm much to the surprise of the Americans who were gobsmacked by it's design.

They were. They should have known all about it, being in the trade, so to speak. They couldn't believe it was so old even then lol
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame they can't keep it flying when B-52's of a similar age still have another 30 years service in front of them.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'escape' plan for the crew in the back was rather interesting! Imagine seeing your two pals upfront eject and you have to climb down that gap and hope you don't hit anything on your way out before it crashes into the ground!!
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Buster1874 wrote: »
    Shame they can't keep it flying when B-52's of a similar age still have another 30 years service in front of them.

The B52 is still operational so there will be the investment in upgrades and refits. The one thing people don't appreciate is none of the more modern military aircraft will be seen flying in private hands in the UK, they will only be seen in museums or perhaps doing taxi runs.

The Harrier, Jaguar, Tornado etc. will be too complicated and expensive to keep flying whilst the likes of Hurricanes and Spitfires can be kept going for decades.

A shame the only flying Sea Harrier is in America.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were. They should have known all about it, being in the trade, so to speak. They couldn't believe it was so old even then lol

I think the Vulcan managed to penetrate US airspace during a military exercise without being picked up by the Americans......how embarrassing :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio 4 produced a drama based on Operation Black Buck, it's not currently on the Iplayer though.
    That program wasn't bad, but as I said earlier, the other V bombers didn't get a mention.
    The talk of made 'over here', restored 'over here', what's notable about that, the general impression that we don't do engineering in this country is gaining too much traction.
    Guy should know better.

Guy's what we call 'a very particular man' i.e. a bit anal, he's a man who likes things done right, so it shouldn't have been much of a hardship for the team to let him loose on their beloved aircraft.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy Martin is too annoying, but would be just right for "Blue Peter."
    I would far rather it was left to professional flyers and a voice over commentary, by someone articulate and knowledgeable.
    This was "dumbed down," so I gave up with it, shame, as I was looking forward to it.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    His hair is growing through the programme :D

He seems to be a natural at all he does. Top bloke in my eyes.

Natural engineer and at one with transport of every kind - some people train and train hard whereas for some they instinctively know how everything just fits together.

I think there are one or two envious people in this thread hence the personal criticisms.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy Martin is too annoying, but would be just right for "Blue Peter."
    I would far rather it was left to professional flyers and a voice over commentary, by someone articulate and knowledgeable.
    This was "dumbed down," so I gave up with it, shame, as I was looking forward to it.

The old dumbed down card, oft used on these forums, it wasn't dumbed down at all, it featured some of the best aerial photography that I've seen and had a knowledgeable and empathic present in Guy.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Natural engineer and at one with transport of every kind - some people train and train hard whereas for some they instinctively know how everything just fits together.

I think there are one or two envious people in this thread hence the personal criticisms.

It's always seems to be mentioned on Guy's programmes that he has a natural empathy with mechanical things, the experts involved often happy for him to have a go, be it building a Spitfire or taxiing a Vulcan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    The old dumbed down card, oft used on these forums, it wasn't dumbed down at all, it featured some of the best aerial photography that I've seen and had a knowledgeable and empathic present in Guy.

I found it entertaining enough, but it was quite light/dumbed down.
    Lots of questions unanswered, watch the other 2 docs I've mentioned.
    I learnt buggerall about the refurb, what was involved, what condition was the aircraft in before they started, why it was so expensive.
    What's the spares situation.
    What exactly are these '1950's skills' that are required for someone to issue a air worthiness certificate, I don't know which company or companies issue the damn things.

Guy might be quite knowledgeable about jet aircraft, but I didn't see much evidence tonight.
  • Options
    cousinDavecousinDave Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Buster1874 wrote: »
    Brilliant programme. The in flight shots filmed from another plane were awe inspiring. Time to read Vulcan 607 again!

My uncle contributed to that book. He was a navigator on the Vulcan (Jim Vinales). I feel like reading it again now!
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up at the one hour mark. It could have been improved immensely by cutting out Guy with his endless gurning, he adds nothing of note or interest to the documentary in engineering or personality terms, and as someone astutely pointed out, is just acting as a 'Blue Peter' presenter quoting bits from previous documentaries to camera.

As critiqued elsewhere. "Just another in a long line of dispiriting documentaries where the presenter- rather than what is presented- is king."