I know nothing about tablets, so: Question:

StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you have a tablet, are there any apps/extensions/programs you can get that allow you to use it like a pad? That is, a traditional paper-notepad. (Perhaps with a stylus you could use to write notes on it?)

I'm aware that people say these are very next-generation and you can do a lot of things with them. I know you can get graphics tablets to plug into a computer to draw on photoshop and things with, but I don't know if you can do similar on an iPad, Kindle etc...

I'm just very aware that I take a lot of notes down on paper pads for work and to keep myself organised, often ending up carrying around a big paper pad, files, pens etc in my bag along with my laptop. I write faster than I can type on a normal computer keyboard, so that's why buying a tablet to take typed notes specifically isnt something I would probably do because I have my computer for that kind of thing. If I could take electronic written notes it would save a lot of space and save me buying stationery all the time - I just don't know if this is possible. I'd imagine it was what with graphic tablets for art and things like the DS with the stylus and touchscreen, but at the same time I've never seen it advertised and don't no much about apps. So I thought people here might be able to help.

Cheers!

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    If you have a tablet, are there any apps/extensions/programs you can get that allow you to use it like a pad? That is, a traditional paper-notepad. (Perhaps with a stylus you could use to write notes on it?)

I'm aware that people say these are very next-generation and you can do a lot of things with them. I know you can get graphics tablets to plug into a computer to draw on photoshop and things with, but I don't know if you can do similar on an iPad, Kindle etc...

I'm just very aware that I take a lot of notes down on paper pads for work and to keep myself organised, often ending up carrying around a big paper pad, files, pens etc in my bag along with my laptop. I write faster than I can type on a normal computer keyboard, so that's why buying a tablet to take typed notes specifically isnt something I would probably do because I have my computer for that kind of thing. If I could take electronic written notes it would save a lot of space and save me buying stationery all the time - I just don't know if this is possible. I'd imagine it was what with graphic tablets for art and things like the DS with the stylus and touchscreen, but at the same time I've never seen it advertised and don't no much about apps. So I thought people here might be able to help.

Cheers!

Android and Apple have apps that allow you to draw or doodle or make notes (there are apps that work like a whiteboard do if you're presenting you can sketch and draw just as if you were using a normal whiteboard. Also you can get apps like the one below if that's what you are on about.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/writepad-for-ipad/id363618389?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/educreations-interactive-whiteboard/id478617061?mt=8

plenty for Android as well.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paper on the iPad: https://www.fiftythree.com/paper

Dunno if there's an equivalent on Android... there usually is...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need something like a Samsung note which comes with a special stylus and can do handwriting to text conversion on the fly pretty well....
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need something like a Samsung note which comes with a special stylus and can do handwriting to text conversion on the fly pretty well....

Ooh that sounds great. Very space age.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For tablets I suggest getting a stylus compatible with capacitive screen which are dirt cheap, you can pick up 10 for £2 on amazon.

For andoid, have a look at papyrus though there are plenty of other free and paid for options,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steadfastinnovation.android.projectpapyrus
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to be looking for the samething I am, give the above suggestions a try but i didn't like any if them. Some Windows tablets have proper digitisers built in that really improves the writing experience.

Microsoft are rumored to be introducing a 8" Surface Mini this year and its main selling point will be that it is the best note taking device you can buy http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/the-surface-mini-to-reportedly-be-the-best-note-taking-tablet--1241634

Like you I take lots of notes at meeting and organising everything is really starting to become a pain, I am hoping the surface mini does materialise this year.