Have Absolutely No Willpower - Will An Electronic Cigarette Help Me Quit Smoking?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
Forum Member
I’ve attempted to give up smoking twice before, but unfortunately failed both times.

The first attempt I tried pure willpower and lasted about 8 days. The second time I used patches, and although I managed to last around 3 weeks, I felt sick all the time.

So, I'm thinking of giving electronic cigarettes a go... Has anyone tried them and been successful in quitting?

Comments

• elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    both my partner and my eldest brother are using them. Partner gave up over a month ago (and only slipped up once at a party as his was dead) and my brother gave up in January and hasn't touched one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Thanks, that's good to know.

I don't supoose you, your partner or brother have any advice about a particular model or are they all pretty much the same?

I must admit I've seen the vapestick advertised is so many places recently, like the local chemist, a few supermarkets, etc.

I've been doing a little research, but am getting confused.

It's also funny that you mention "slipping up" once... that's where it all goes wrong for me!
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I started using a "E cig" about 3 years ago and haven't looked back, I find the biggest thing they do is get you over the "hand to mouth" habit.
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a word......yes. I recommend you get a totally wicked tornado tank compact starter kit. It's just like smoking. A proper hit on the throat and with no tar. Obviously it still uses nicotine but this is something you can cut down to zero on using an e cig.

Quick edit to add.....I wouldn't recommend a cheap one from the chemists. Fab if you lose your "normal" one to tide you over but if you want to stop smoking buy the best you can afford. The compact kit I just mentioned is only £30 which is less than a weeks supply of ciggies. Well, it was when I smoked! Picked up my tank and never touched a cigarette since.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Cool!!

Thank you ever so much for the replies... well it looks like I definitely know what I'll be doing, and here's hoping for third time lucky!
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Damaging wrote: »
    Thanks, that's good to know.

I don't supoose you, your partner or brother have any advice about a particular model or are they all pretty much the same?

I must admit I've seen the vapestick advertised is so many places recently, like the local chemist, a few supermarkets, etc.

I've been doing a little research, but am getting confused.

It's also funny that you mention "slipping up" once... that's where it all goes wrong for me!

They use e-motives they get them in Tesco(think other places sell them), think the refills are about £7 for a box of 5 but each is the equivalent to 25 cigarettes. The cigarette and charger were about £14 I think.
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damaging wrote: »
    I’ve attempted to give up smoking twice before, but unfortunately failed both times.

The first attempt I tried pure willpower and lasted about 8 days. The second time I used patches, and although I managed to last around 3 weeks, I felt sick all the time.

So, I'm thinking of giving electronic cigarettes a go... Has anyone tried them and been successful in quitting?

Shame you started again after 8 days - you were through the worst by then.

You should get a copy if this:

Easy Way to Stop Smoking - Allen Carr

Allen Carr was a chain-smoker, who used to get through a hundred cigarettes a day until he discovered the Easyway to Stop Smoking in 1983.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just use a vapourlites ecig from the chemist. Haven't had a real cig since August 2012. I've bought 2 batteries £10 each. A pack of five cartridges is £10. They'll last me about a week. Job done!
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Tiexen wrote: »
    Shame you started again after 8 days - you were through the worst by then.

You should get a copy if this:

Easy Way to Stop Smoking - Allen Carr

Allen Carr was a chain-smoker, who used to get through a hundred cigarettes a day until he discovered the Easyway to Stop Smoking in 1983.

Didn't he eventually die of lung cancer though, the poor bloke ?

I have been off cigarettes for 10 weeks using the patch and nicorette chewing gum. It's tough, but this is about my 8th attempt and I am totally determined this time. My chemist advised me not to go for an electronic cigarette as it's just not breaking the habit of hand to mouth and suck !

Whatever gets you through it though OP .... try anything to help you quit and good luck !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes an e-cig will help you stop.

It worked for me, I started on them October 2012, and I can't recommend them highly enough and friend started a month later and she feels the same.

We both use an EGO-T which is sold by Paddy puff (starter kit was £30). This was only because the man in work who got me on them used them. Although I haven't felt the need to try any others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try nicquitin mint mist worked for me, they sell it nearly everywhere. I tried the electronic cigarette and didn't like it, I suppose everyone is different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    Didn't he eventually die of lung cancer though, the poor bloke ?

I have been off cigarettes for 10 weeks using the patch and nicorette chewing gum. It's tough, but this is about my 8th attempt and I am totally determined this time. My chemist advised me not to go for an electronic cigarette as it's just not breaking the habit of hand to mouth and suck !

Whatever gets you through it though OP .... try anything to help you quit and good luck !

Though I'd wager they'll happy sell inhalers.

OP - e cigs are best seen as a less harmful alternative to smoking rather than a way of quitting. If the idea of 'still being addicted' etc bothers you then go for patches/ cold turkey/Allen Carr.

Having said that, it's been 18 months since I've had a cig. Last one I had was the day I got my first vaping kit.