Ben Elton's new sitcom airs tonight

Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/the_wright_way/

Anybody going to be watching, or got any thoughts on how good, or otherwise, it may be?

Comments

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's being likened to The Thin Blue Line, so probably not. That was an awful show.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    It's being likened to The Thin Blue Line, so probably not. That was an awful show.

I didn't see much of Thin Blue Line. What I did see of it had Rowan Atkinson being sarcastic-so a major creative leap from Blackadder there!
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that Ade and Jennifers daughter in this?
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Is that Ade and Jennifers daughter in this?

It is.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His last sit-com was one of the most godawful things committed to videotape so I'll be watching the first ep purely for car-crash value. It's gotten a slagging in Radio Times already and the clips look horrendous so....another reason to loathe Elton! :D
  • Brian_GravesBrian_Graves Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    To be fair, everyone involved in The Young Ones is now as funny as toothache. But it's hard to fathom how Elton became so very, truly, awful. People should know when to quit, but they never relise they have lost it, and then sometimes some idiots will keep commissioning them.

I won't be watching, no.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    probably wont watch tonight, may catch up if i hear good things about it
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see much of Thin Blue Line. What I did see of it had Rowan Atkinson being sarcastic-so a major creative leap from Blackadder there!

The character he played in The Thin Blue Line was nothing like Blackadder, not sure what you're talking about there.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed The Thin Blue Line.

And it was certainly nothing like Blackadder.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    The character he played in The Thin Blue Line was nothing like Blackadder, not sure what you're talking about there.

Mark Addy was in TTBL, before he got more famous in The Full Monty.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    the thin blue line bombed hence only 2 series were made.from what iv seen of his new sit com it looks awful il give it a miss
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the basis that Ben Elton has written some very entertaining novels and he was involved with The Young Ones and Blackadder, I'll certainly give it a go. :)
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its got a big old kicking in the Guardian too:

The sitcom that proves Ben Elton's no longer funny

It sounds like its based on a Richard Littlejohn column.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

The Guardian - a newspaper so well known for its sense of humour.:rolleyes:

I'll be watching the first episode of TWW but I don't hold out much hope I'll still be a viewer by episode 6.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »

Well, it's hilarious blog and comments pages were the only things that made watching Outcasts and Hunted tolerable, in fact it was the only reason to watch so you could enjoy the post-ep piss-taking!
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,150
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

I liked The Thin Blue Line :o But I never claim to have any taste lol.

I'll reserve judgement till I've seen it, but was never a fan of Ben Elton as a standup; didn't find him funny at all.
    Forum Member
    To be fair, everyone involved in The Young Ones is now as funny as toothache. But it's hard to fathom how Elton became so very, truly, awful. People should know when to quit, but they never relise they have lost it, and then sometimes some idiots will keep commissioning them.

I won't be watching, no.

I hadn't realised he ever had it.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    I enjoyed The Thin Blue Line.

And it was certainly nothing like Blackadder.

Me too. Really liked The Thin Blue Line, and David Haig is always worth watching.
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to wonder why the BBC have buried in in the 10.35 slot, a la Citizen Khan. Although saying that, that's where Mrs Browns Boys started out, so perhaps there is hope.
    Forum Member
    You have to wonder why the BBC have buried in in the 10.35 slot, a la Citizen Khan. Although saying that, that's where Mrs Browns Boys started out, so perhaps there is hope.

Hmm, I loved Citizen Khan but not Mrs Brown's Boys.
  • Harfynn TeuportHarfynn Teuport Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »

Is that a blog hosted by the Guardian or an actual article because it reads like it was written by a 14 year old on work experience?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you shouldn't judge on a 90 second clip, but (on the assumption that they would have picked one of the "best bits" ) it does appear to be crap
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Elton lost his mojo when Thatcher left Downing Street. I might tune in for the first episode but I'm not expecting much.
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    He did a sketch/stand up show on Channel 9 in Oz the year before last. It was dreadfull, truly painful and was scrapped after only three programmes. I'll give this new programme a go though, out of curiosity
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »

I'll be watching the first episode of TWW but I don't hold out much hope I'll still be a viewer by episode 6.

Just like the Daily Mail, eh?