The Worst football Excuses you have heard?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Listen to Ian Holloway on why the team lost last and coming out with that he brought too many players and they have not gelled yet is that one of the worst Excuses in football I think I have heard:eek:

Another one that I have heard is when Man Utd went to the Dell to play Southampton Changed there kit at half time because they couldn't see each other:confused:

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Ice on the ball".

Courtesy of one Sander Westerveld.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who wss the plsyer who dropped something on his foot st home? He coukdnt play fpr ages
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there was Dave Beasant who dropped a bottle of salad cream on his foot, not an excuse as such.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Canizares dropped a bottle on his foot also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Canizares dropped a bottle on his foot also.

Missed the world cup as a result didn't he?

Houllier's excuse for the goal line sniffing celebration:
    "Eating the grass as tribute to Rigobert Song."
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »

Another one that I have heard is when Man Utd went to the Dell to play Southampton Changed there kit at half time because they couldn't see each other:confused:

I remember that, what a ridiculous excuse.:D
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massimo Taibi blaming his howler when he let in Le Tissier's shot on the length of his studs.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen to Ian Holloway on why the team lost last and coming out with that he brought too many players and they have not gelled yet is that one of the worst Excuses in football I think I have heard:eek:

Have you only heard about three? New players not playing well together is a real thing, even if the reason is because those players aren't exactly great.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Italy's excuse for being knocked out of the group stage at Euro 2004? Rough thread in their socks.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything Ferguson said after a United defeat.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Anything Ferguson said after a United defeat.

He's really got under your skin hasn't he? :p
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Have you only heard about three? New players not playing well together is a real thing, even if the reason is because those players aren't exactly great.

Yes but at the time of hearing the Interview I thought at the time it was excuse because they played so poorly:confused:
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Who wss the plsyer who dropped something on his foot st home? He coukdnt play fpr ages

Rio when he was Leeds captain injured his knee whilst reaching for tv remote ?
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Holloway one isn't an excuse, its more that he got it wrong and simply doesn't know the way to fix it. In essence, he is a manager who is honest and owed up to his mistake.

Any manager who has come out and blamed a corner being given as a reason why they lost. Its an excuse on the basis the defence should have dealt with it regardless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Rio when he was Leeds captain injured his knee whilst reaching for tv remote ?

I believe Robbie Keane did that too.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I laugh when top prem clubs blame "fixture congestion" for any defeats... especially given that any time they get a 5-minute window they piss off to Timbuktu to play a money spinning friendly and flog shirts.
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robinson blaming a bobble on that hilarious Neville own goal was pretty silly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Found this YouTube video of Chelsea losing 6-0 to Rotherham in the 80s!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nZfwdx9zLA

In the comments section, Chelsea fan GarryJones61 comes up with a corker of an excuse for such a seemingly ridiculous defeat. :D
    Of this match..on the Monday the team, myself and another supporter were due to fly out to The Sudan for 2 friendlies. The team had their jabs on the Friday and this made them weary and sleepy. Study the film and you will see what I mean.... The Sudan trip was called off when civil war broke out on the Sunday!
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    united blaming the infamous grey kit vs southampton?

or maybe that was legit lol
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upon seeing his Newcastle draw to a then part-time, non-league Stevenage, Kenny Dalglish blamed the balls for being "too bouncy".

Even better was the fact that Dalglish was the face of these particular footballs and it bore his signature! :D
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    I laugh when top prem clubs blame "fixture congestion" for any defeats... especially given that any time they get a 5-minute window they piss off to Timbuktu to play a money spinning friendly and flog shirts.

Spot on.

It's a embarrassing excuse from hugely wealthy Premier League clubs with vast squads.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Boselecta wrote: »

In the 1970/71 season with a squad of 15 Leeds played 18 games in 35 days which among others included a f a cup final and replay sandwiched in between a semi final of the European cup with Celtic which Leeds lost.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I think it was Brian Laws when he was manager of Wednesday who claimed that "2-0 is a nightmare lead" after we'd let one slip.

I wish we had that nightmare lead more often...
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    united blaming the infamous grey kit vs southampton?

or maybe that was legit lol

That certainly came to mind. The second half finished 3-3 (for a total of 6-3!) though, after Man U changed their kit, so it clearly didn't make much difference lol.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    Upon seeing his Newcastle draw to a then part-time, non-league Stevenage, Kenny Dalglish blamed the balls for being "too bouncy".

Even better was the fact that Dalglish was the face of these particular footballs and it bore his signature! :D

I was sitting in a pub watching that match with a bunch of Newcastle fans. They were all expecting an easy walkover.

But, after playing you in the Conference, I knew it wasn't going to be that easy for them and I was entirely not surprised by the result.

That was the season you guys went up wasn't it?