Options

After They Were Famous

swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Every now and then you hear a name and think 'oh, I remember them, wonder what happened to them'................of course when you're my age the probability is that anyone who was famous when I was a kid is dead.........but still !

Someone on the radio mentioned Nina and Frederik..............I remember them !

They were a continental goody-goody folk singing duo who appeared on TV a lot in the late 50s, early 60s and had a few hits singing songs like 'Little Donkey'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qudi6JqE-M

Part of the reason they were famous is because they were aristocrats ........Frederik was the Baron von Pallandt

So I thought I'd just check out what happened to Frederik after he was famous......

Blimey !..........:o

Turned out that Frederik settled in the Phillipines where he joined an Aussie crime syndicate and was shot dead in a drug running dispute.........:o

Can you think of anyone else who's 'after they were famous' is so out of sync with their popular reputation ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart Hall?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stuart Hall?

not quite the same though because he was doing the things that he's now famous for when he was famous...........

and he's never really stopped being famous

I was thinking more of people who haven't been heard of for a few decades and when you discover what happened to them 'out of the limelight' it comes as a bit of a shock !
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    not quite the same though because he was doing the things that he's now famous for when he was famous...........

and he's never really stopped being famous

I was thinking more of people who haven't been heard of for a few decades and when you discover what happened to them 'out of the limelight' it comes as a bit of a shock !

On the other side of the party wall here is a famous 1980's musician. One hit wonder himself, but a lot of writing credits. He's still writing.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dread to think what Rod, Jane and Freddie are doing now.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I dread to think what Rod, Jane and Freddie are doing now.

Unbelievably, the threesome are still together, appearing at events and in panto around the country. It was recently revealed that Rod and Jane had been married, but Jane and Freddy are now in a long standing relationship. Wonder if they have a song about that?

There you go.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    may I offer the op this link -> http://www.weht.net/
    I think there are a couple of similar websites around.

enjoy!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    There you go.....

See, I always knew there was a threesome going on. Bit like Geoffrey, Bungle and Zippy. I bet Zippy is drunk in a gutter somewhere, or goosing pole dancers. Or something.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I used to love The Wonder Years and was a little bit in love with Fred Savage

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000625/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk1
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    I used to love The Wonder Years and was a little bit in love with Fred Savage

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000625/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk1

....blimey - he hasn't changed a bit!!! I remember watching that show and he still looks exactly the same today.....!!!

He's a bit like that Ralph 'Karate Kid' Macchio dude who never seems to age - he also looks exactly like he did back in the Karate Kid films...!!!!
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shirley Temple is a good example of somebody who achieved a huge amount of fame and then went on to become something completely different. After her acting career, she became a politician and was a diplomat for many years. She passed away just recently.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Fred Savage is a well respected director now
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zammo (?) off Grange Hill owns a key cutting place somewhere in Farringdon.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then there's Phil Spector, very famous, successful record producer and songwriter, who went on to become a convicted murderer!! He will probably remain in prison for the rest of his days as it seems he will be 88 when he is even eligible for parole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Zammo (?) off Grange Hill owns a key cutting place somewhere in Farringdon.

Blimey.........I used to use Farringdon tube station a lot and there's a key cutting place right next to the station entrance

I bought some shoelaces there once !

Maybe it was Zammo who sold them to me.......:o
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kids from Diff'rent Strokes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff'rent_Strokes

The series made stars out of child actors Gary Coleman, Todd Bridges, and Dana Plato, and became known for the "very special episodes" in which serious issues such as racism, illegal drug use, and child sexual abuse were dramatically explored. The lives of these stars were later plagued by legal troubles and drug addiction, as the stardom and success they achieved while on the show eluded them after the series was cancelled, with both Plato and Coleman having early deaths.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Blimey.........I used to use Farringdon tube station a lot and there's a key cutting place right next to the station entrance

I bought some shoelaces there once !

Maybe it was Zammo who sold them to me.......:o

There was one, and that may have been the one! It's all been redeveloped round there now, though - the station's all new and everything going south as far as the viaduct has been/is being Crossrailed to hell. Haven't been round there in just over a year.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    See, I always knew there was a threesome going on. Bit like Geoffrey, Bungle and Zippy. I bet Zippy is drunk in a gutter somewhere, or goosing pole dancers. Or something.

...Or on trial. Everyone else from his era seems to be! ;-)