Options

Shobna Gulati: I'm leaving Britain because no one's given me a lead part on UK TV

Comments

• Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she's just not very good? No harm in trying the US, maybe they'll like her, but she's going to have an awful lot of egg on her face if she fails.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I can just imagine her character from 'Dinnerladies; turning up as a judge.

:D

Why not? The dodgy builder from Fawlty Towers appeared as judge, as did Snudge from the Army Game. And the Liverpudlian from Auf Weidersein, Pet.

All very convincingly. Isn't that what acting's about?
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Tellystar wrote: »
    So why is is she described as black in many of the other posts on here?

God only knows as she isn't
    She has exactly the same skin colour as any other. Indian /Pakistani woman

I just have an overwhelming feeling of sadness reading this thread
    If only because I always thoroughly enjoyed her work
    I don't know what her chances are of finding and being given the roles she craves in the states or anywhere else and wish her luck in her endeavours
    As for moving over there she may as well stay where she is as she's apparently got a fully furnished flat up her own backside
    Such Is her opinion of her own self importance
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was born in Oldham in 1966
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    She was born in Oldham in 1966

So were many people, but is it relevant? Or is there something about Oldham of which I'm unaware?
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Shobna made this shock revelation on yesterday's "Wright Stuff". She said, and I quote:

"I have to say I'm 48 years old and have I had a lead part in a drama yet on British television? No. With 25 years of being an actor, that's a long time. So I'm going to America."

Shobna thinks she's been discriminated against because of her colour (it was a discussion about ethnicity in TV).

Has she got a point? Or has she got some nerve to think she's entitled to a lead part on British TV? What do you think?
    The trouble is whenever a black or Asian actor doesn't get a job they assume it's discrimination. But there are equally thousands and thousands of white women who don't get jobs either. Or get leads - however good they are. There are so few jobs in that world and so many actors. Many white actresses also go to the States to try to get work as there's so little here.
  • Options
    jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good the sooner the better
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

All very convincingly. Isn't that what acting's about?

I think that might be Shobna's biggest stumbling block.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Well that shows how memorable her acting is because last night wasn't her first appearance in the show.
    cavalli wrote: »
    Says it all really doesn't it :D

I think it does lol! :D:D

For what Shobna actually did and contributed to Tuesday's show, if I were her I'd have turned down such a minor role if I had my sights set on leading parts. She really needs some decent guidance and advice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Wonder what Shobna would make of this thread lol !

I'm sure Shobna would be thrilled at being finally the 'star' of something!! :D:D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You couldn't have a white actor playing Othello or Nelson Mandela or a black actor playing Winston Churchill so there would have to be a few exceptions but this is the point Lenny Henry is making in his project with the BBC - black actors should be cast in far more parts where colour is irrelevant.

Back in 1997 Patrick Stewart played Othello in a version of the play where the races of the characters were reversed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You couldn't have a white actor playing Othello or Nelson Mandela or a black actor playing Winston Churchill so there would have to be a few exceptions but this is the point Lenny Henry is making in his project with the BBC - black actors should be cast in far more parts where colour is irrelevant.

So given that we allow for the fact certain exception can be made just who should make the decision who plays what ?
    Are we to expect god knows how many court cases featuring people black or white complaining they've been discriminated against
    And has it occurred to anyone that the expense of all this could crucify the film and theatre industry
    Let's just hope not but I sure as hell fear for their futures 😳
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    The trouble is whenever a black or Asian actor doesn't get a job they assume it's discrimination. But there are equally thousands and thousands of white women who don't get jobs either. Or get leads - however good they are. There are so few jobs in that world and so many actors. Many white actresses also go to the States to try to get work as there's so little here.

As we know whenever a Black or Asian person doesn't get what they want, from a bus to the last bit of discounted meat in the supermarket, they think it's all down to discrimination. (insert rolleyes here).

You've got some neck claiming to know the thoughts of hundreds in not thousands of people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As we know whenever a Black or Asian person doesn't get what they want, from a bus to the last bit of discounted meat in the supermarket, they think it's all down to discrimination. (insert rolleyes here).

You've got some neck claiming to know the thoughts of hundreds in not thousands of people.

Thers will and always has been a small minority of people be they black or white who will play the "race "card
    This also applys to people coming in from the Eu as well
    In my time I've seen many instances of this not only in the service industry's I've worked in (retail as a newsagent and hotel as a valet )
    These have ranged from a man reporting the assistant in a shop I worked at for misspelling his surname written on a magazine that was saved weekly for him to the Race relations board (yes really !!) to room assistants taking umbridge with the management of the hotel I worked at for a requesting that ALL STAFF Spoke in English during working hours
    I've also been on buses during rush hour watching women both black and white swearing and verbally abusing drivers who won't let their tanker sized prams on the bus as there is no room for them but on seeing women of an opposite race to them on board insist that they are being discriminated against when the truth is they aren't allowed on because there is no room on the bloody bus to fit them in
    There's fault on ALL sides is what I'm basically saying
    I like my friends for why they are I couldn't care less whether they are black white gay straight Jewish Muslim catholic ... The list is endless

I think Shobna has made a very good living in her profession over the years
    I also think it's NOT a race thing at all
    Over the years I've lost count of how many articles I've read about actresses of what's now her age group complainng about the lack of roles for women who are no longer young
    Both black and white actresses over here and the states have said the same
    Shobnas remarks are at the very least mischievous and at worst offensive to every actress of any creed or colour who have been thankful for jobs big or small that have come their way
    The profession is and has always been a risky one to be in and she's faired a lot better than many
    And let's say the very next job she's offered is the lead in a prestigious new series and then gets passed over for the next thing she goes for ... Do we get another round of this ???
    I think she really should have a good think about things as I'm told she's also seen by many aspiring Asian actresses in the uk as a role model
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with the folks saying she's isn't very good. As wooden and as unconvincing as they come. She appeared in something I had on in the background the other night, I just thought ''oh look, it's Shobna Gulati in another cold, miserable role''

If she's successful in the US, she's got a good agent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with the folks saying she's isn't very good. As wooden and as unconvincing as they come. She appeared in something I had on in the background the other night, I just thought ''oh look, it's Shobna Gulati in another cold, miserable role''

That must have been 'In The Club'.

Shobna came across as a bored, miserable, unhappy actress in a bored, miserable, unhappy role. American audiences would not have warmed to her portrayal as a nurse.

It was such a minor, almost worthless part. What on Earth is she thinking? You can't be a glorified walk-on yet expect to be a leading lady when you just aren't a good actress
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats why the obvious move is to go to India! Novelty value. An accent that they arent used to with a face that they are used to.

Time to milk those assets girl! (whilst they are closer to her chest than waist!!!)

(I speak as someone that had never heard of her until this thread so have absolutely NO idea of her acting prowess)
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Some actors just do better in the States anyway.

Not sure about her, but there's no doubt that the US has just a bit more diversity in their shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Some actors just do better in the States anyway.

Not sure about her, but there's no doubt that the US has just a bit more diversity in their shows.

I believe Shobna has had her agent organise a 'green card' for over a year ready for her departure for America 'to make it'.

I'm sure these 'green cards' allow her to work in Hollywood branches of McDonalds as well? 'Cause that's about all her acting talents will get her there!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stupidity, colour blindness, selective ignorance... just because 10 people agree in ignorance, doesn't make their ignorance accurate, just means they are 10 people that are all wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope for Shobna her part picks up in 'In The Club' next week :)

It would be a dismal part for her to be remembered by before her new American career
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »

It would be a dismal part for her to be remembered by before her new American career

I thought that watching it tonight. she looks so miserable all the time, as if she's thinking "From Corrie to this."
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news! This has just been announced in the Hollywood Reporter:

'New Brit on the block Shobna Gulati is set to appear in a new Fox pilot due to go into production this Fall. Gulati will star as Shirin Singh, an Indian detective relocated to Apex, North Carolina. Detective Singh struggles at first to win over the local law enforcers, but eventually her unconventional techniques, which include working undercover at the town's dilapidated go-go bar and posing as a really bad but comically deluded ex-soap star, convince the sceptics that she is the real deal'.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

It's a tiny part isn't it ... In The Club? Even I could do that!!:D:D
    I thought she was very good in Corrie when she was having the affair with Karl.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Soap actors often look wooden because of the poor scripts they have to perform and the very limited rehearsal time. Which soap actors win "best soap actor" awards? The ones that get the big emotional storylines to overact in.

An excellent point, but really very little to do with Shobna Gulati. Shobna Gulati is Shobna Gulati in everything she does, she plays the exact same person. She's beyond hopeless.
    Great news! This has just been announced in the Hollywood Reporter:

'New Brit on the block Shobna Gulati is set to appear in a new Fox pilot due to go into production this Fall. Gulati will star as Shirin Singh, an Indian detective relocated to Apex, North Carolina. Detective Singh struggles at first to win over the local law enforcers, but eventually her unconventional techniques, which include working undercover at the town's dilapidated go-go bar and posing as a really bad but comically deluded ex-soap star, convince the sceptics that she is the real deal'.

Amazing! :D:D:D