Is Gaming A Sport?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
Forum Member
✭✭
No, because it doesn't involve physical exertion. What do others think?

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is definitely a competitive nature about games.

As Chess is seen as a sport I don't see why games cant be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    There is definitely a competitive nature about games.

As Chess is seen as a sport I don't see why games cant be.

I'd argue that chess isn't a sport, so gaming isn't either.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

An activity does not require physical exertion to make it a sport.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The online nature of gaming now makes it easily comparable to the competitive nature of sports, the team mentality/being able to prove you are the best etc and while most products when there is money to be made people will make it hence the raise of E-sports

Is it a sport? no its a game whether you play singleplayer, co-op or multiplayer its still a game, people playing them at huge events doesn't magically change the meaning to it being a sport or where do we end, is every competitive event now a sport because people are competing? is politics a sport? why not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    An activity does not require physical exertion to make it a sport.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/sport
  • GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
    Forum Member

Darts and snooker are sports and they probably have the same amount of physical activity in them as gaming.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone needs to get on to Sky Sports.

Darts, fishing, snooker, horse racing. None of these require physical exertion.

However...

[MASS NOUN, USUALLY WITH ADJECTIVE] Success or pleasure derived from an activity such as hunting or fishing:

This could apply to gaming.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Sports 6: The New Home of E-Sports.

And no, gaming isn't a sport. It's an activity.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a sport if it involves a Kinect/Wiimote/PS camera then? Because I've seen people doing Cossack moves to Just dance and that looks pretty energetic to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a sport if it involves a Kinect/Wiimote/PS camera then? Because I've seen people doing Cossack moves to Just dance and that looks pretty energetic to me.

Dancing isn't a sport
  • gothergother Posts: 14,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually it does if you use something like kinect or wii motion or ps move etc with a sports game etc.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people want to class gaming as a sport or e-sport, fine. I've never seen it as a sport and never will but there are many who do.
    gother wrote: »
    Actually it does if you use something like kinect or wii motion or ps move etc with a sports game etc.

What if you don't use Wii motion, Kinect or PS Move ?
  • gothergother Posts: 14,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    If people want to class gaming as a sport or e-sport, fine. I've never seen it as a sport and never will but there are many who do.

What if you don't use Wii motion, Kinect or PS Move ?

Well leaning to the side thinking it will help you take the corner smoother could be physical activity :p
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some don't take much physically but are very skilled to be good at like snooker and darts they are easily a sport, but for gaming I would never say so really but skill is needed :)
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Def a sport. I have to exert myself when leaning forward to grab another choccy biscuit/bag of crisps or another beer when gaming :D
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, as all the sports listed have one thing in common. Standards.

Gaming is a term to describe lots of different aspects of computer games, you would have to boil it down. First Person Shooters are a good choice as the skillset would remain much the same across all the different FPS games.

The first ones to correctly bring e-sports (stupid name) to the masses will make a huge mint on it. Gaming is now the most profitable industry in all of entertainment. Its only really football that could duke it out in terms of money, and thats quickly changing as gaming is truly worldwide.

Thanks to MW2, gaming is now a global industry, and how I loath the day that happened....
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I class gaming as a hobby or a form of entertainment.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My immediate thought is "No". Though, if you include the competitive aspect, it does open up the idea that it could be considered a Sport. But i'm inclined to think of it as a competition more than anything, if rival players are involved.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    NO.

Gaming is gaming.

Sport is sport.

Sport is played in instalments called games.

Sports have been adapted into games.

Games contain the competitiveness of sports.

But gaming is not a sport.
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,704
    Forum Member
    Short answer is no.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the arenas where gaming is played for money in tournaments then it is a sport. There are some sections of gaming where it is a sport. It the difference between the Premiership and a kick-about with your mates in the park for fun.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I think the arenas where gaming is played for money in tournaments then it is a sport. There are some sections of gaming where it is a sport. It the difference between the Premiership and a kick-about with your mates in the park for fun.

Good point but I'd consider a kick about a sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »

I stopped at 'But it’s not just the eSports community that views players as athletes now, the U.S. Government does as well.'

The US Government is obviously eyeing up a way to get more taxes

Like I said earlier in the thread the fact something takes place on a larger scale doesn't change the meaning
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Yes. Next question.