How much will Matt make?

wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
Forum Member
I am curious to know how much Matt will make from single and book sales - does anyone know what percentage they get? I was wondering whether he will make enough to continue his career on his own terms if it doesn't work out with Syco

very interested to know what Joe has made this year

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am curious to know how much Matt will make from single and book sales - does anyone know what percentage they get? I was wondering whether he will make enough to continue his career on his own terms if it doesn't work out with Syco

I'm sure Brookstein isn't struggling to pay bills, but probably isn't living on cloud-9 either. Would imagine that whatever Matt gets from Syco and co. will be enough to enjoy, but probably not be enough to produce and market his own album with any momentum if he breaks up with Syco.

He'll get his wealth to some degree. Whether he gets his happiness is to be determined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure but I wouldn't have thought it was enough to branch out on his own if he parts ways with Syco .... most of his money will be earned via live gigs/touring .. that's where the money lies
  • Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50p and a packet of crisps from the single.

About 100k from the tour.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    £2.50 and a pickled egg.
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    You know his £150,000 "advance", has he paid that off with his single sales? With some spare? :o
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    You know his £150,000 "advance", has he paid that off with his single sales? With some spare? :o

Someone the other day said that a few X Factor winners actually end up in debt to Cowell. At least Cardle's parents can bail him out if he ends up in that position.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    OMG! how has he got a book out already! when was it written! whuuuuut
  • wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    OMG! how has he got a book out already! when was it written! whuuuuut

the book is really just a picture book with most of the text lifted from interviews from the shows. They produced them for all of the finalists (presumably a few more too) and just released the winner's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Unless the contract changed in the last year I believe the winner gets 15% from single and album sales. So theoretically he will get 15% of the wholesale price for every copy sold....once all the recoupable costs are paid back that is.

many new artists newer see any money beyond their advance. Someone like Leon or Joe never made any money from record sales beyond their advance.
  • Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure the £100k/150k is the 1st place prize for winning XF - he does not need to pay that back.

he gets £100k for the tour, doe he get anything for merchansing - I'll assume not.

Say the single sells 800k - how much does he get? £50-100K?

There will be occasional corporate gigs I guess.

The £5m quoted in pres is utter rubbish, even Alex said she had hardly anything a year after winning - she couldn't buy a house.
    Forum Member
    Someone the other day said that a few X Factor winners actually end up in debt to Cowell. At least Cardle's parents can bail him out if he ends up in that position.

I just thought someone on here might actually know the terms of the contract. I have read that Syco take 20% of everything but as a bit of a numbers geek I am curious about how it actually works
  • mamamiamamamia Posts: 2,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For what it's worth £3000 per hour was quoted in one of the papers yesterday,if he is careful with it I amsure he wont be so badly off.it's a long way from £6 per hour:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How so, not like they have so spend time & oodles of money marketing it. The bonus tracks are live recordings and he got 3 hours studio time to record the single and 3 hours to do the video....very cheap to make XF single.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We 'found' a radio at work today (hardly anyone was in, so we thought we'd rebel), and so I had the misfortune of hearing the current #1 for the first time. Good grief I thought won't someone take their poor cat out of the alley.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    Paparazzo wrote: »

I think that this is for him to keep. The rest of the million contract is an advance, and everything he spends, including production, travel, etc.. will be paid back before he warns anything.

I don't know what happens from the earnings from the winner's single. Is it part of the contract, and just makes it less to recoupe, or extra, money in his pocket whatever happens?

As far as I know, song writing royalties are not part of the advance, and goes to the artist whatever happens.

And there is money to be made from gigging etc.., but Syco has a weird policy with touring :eek: Has Alexandra done a tour yet?
    I think that Rhydian has made a lot of money from private gigs, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    We 'found' a radio at work today (hardly anyone was in, so we thought we'd rebel), and so I had the misfortune of hearing the current #1 for the first time. Good grief I thought won't someone take their poor cat out of the alley.

Don't go for work as a comedian,you'll end up broke,what a massive fail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modest the Mgt company also take 20 % of his earnings...they deduct for cars, hotel, minders etc.
    Forum Member
    Chi wrote: »
    I think that this is for him to keep. The rest of the million contract is an advance, and everything he spends, including production, travel, etc.. will be paid back before he warns anything.

I don't know what happens from the earnings from the winner's single. Is it part of the contract, and just makes it less to recoupe, or extra, money in his pocket whatever happens?

As far as I know, song writing royalties are not part of the advance, and goes to the artist whatever happens.

And there is money to be made from gigging etc.., but Syco has a weird policy with touring :eek: Has Alexandra done a tour yet?
    I think that Rhydian has made a lot of money from private gigs, though.

yes Elton John was complaining that Alex hadn't toured yet and won't make any money as a result. I wonder if Syco think the XF winner should only do arena tours and so won't let them tour until / unless they can fill arenas I notice that Olly is doing smaller venues and getting out on tour which has to be good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mamamia wrote: »
    Don't go for work as a comedian,you'll end up broke,what a massive fail.

Just like Matt :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    I am sure the £100k/150k is the 1st place prize for winning XF - he does not need to pay that back.

he gets £100k for the tour, doe she get anything for merchansing - I'll assume not.

Say the single sells 800k - how much does he get? £50-100K?

There will be occasional corporate gigs I guess.

The £5m quoted in pres is utter rubbish, even Alex said she had hardly anything a year after winning - she couldn't buy a house.

That's correct the 100K advance is a risk a label takes and doesn't have to be paid back....well, it does IF the artist in question wants to have a long career. If the album and single sales fail to recoup the advance the label may drop the artist but in any case no one will be knocking on their door asking to pay that money back.

It's still possible for artists to make money the old fashioned way through album sales but you have to sell in the millions like Susan Boyle for example. Otherwise the money will come from touring, corporate gigs, endorsement deals., etc BUT labels tap into that as well through 360 deals which are pretty much standard recording contracts these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're working hard tonight and nobody seems to be appreciating you. Chin up, it's nearly Christmas :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you little tinkers.. your work seems a laugh a minute :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    Has Alexandra done a tour yet?

She's doing a theatre tour like Olly from Jan next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    you little tinkers.. your work seems a laugh a minute :rolleyes:

Be careful of rolleyes and wind-changes :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like Matt :)

In your dreams:D