✭✭
Sunday Times Front Page:

http://twitpic.com/5dggsr

Been rumoured for a long while....

Comments

• Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,048
    Forum Member
    Part of their cost cutting...go back to ITV?
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »

If this happens i will be so mad. They have just spend 22m on a bloody reality Program.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »

Or worse Sky.

I'm not a Sky hater, but the thought of having a choice between waching not watching F1, which I love, or paying for it...well I won't be happy.

Stupid BBC.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if it does get axed by the BBC Sky want it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Murdoch propaganda, nothing more.

F1 didnt exist to sky until they wanted to buy it.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    Its Murdoch propaganda, nothing more.

There is probably some truth in it, even though a final decision under DQF hasn't yet been made.

Various other sources (including Charles Sale in the DM) have been reporting that the BBC would enact the break clause at the end of 2012 because £40 million per year is unaffordable under the present licence fee settlement.

ITV won't pay this amount for it either which will leave Bernie with something of a dilemma. Will Sky make it worth his while to take it off FTA TV?
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont watch much F1 but dont wany to see it moving to Sky.
    Its just a shame that Freeview dont have some sort of sports channel.

Darren
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    Or worse Sky.

I'm not a Sky hater, but the thought of having a choice between waching not watching F1, which I love, or paying for it...well I won't be happy.

Stupid BBC.

If Sky have no adverts like other sports I'd prefer that to ITV thanks.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all very predictable.

The supposed "public service" BBC cutting back on everything that provides for minority audiences and sticks with the mass audience pap.

Even the more high-brow stuff will face the same cuts, BBC4 will end up a shadow of it's current self.

No surprise that they would wish to ring-fence Wimbledon, it's the Antiques Roadshow of sports. The BBCs coverage of it is the worlds first anti-sport sports coverage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be sad to not see Jake doing the anchor role, it would end up going to someone like Ben Shepherd if it's on Sky
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It's all very predictable.

The supposed "public service" BBC cutting back on everything that provides for minority audiences and sticks with the mass audience pap.

Even the more high-brow stuff will face the same cuts, BBC4 will end up a shadow of it's current self.

No surprise that they would wish to ring-fence Wimbledon, it's the Antiques Roadshow of sports. The BBCs coverage of it is the worlds first anti-sport sports coverage.

"Minority"? F1 is one of the worlds biggest sports in terms of audience! It's about as far away from minority as you can get!
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And as much as I love F1, and seeing it ad-free, it is a significant amount of money to spend on a sport that ITV or SKY would be happy to broadcast.
    If cuts have to be made, and clearly they do thanks to the licence fee freeze/cut, then F1 and other sports would be a logical choice.
  • Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    it is a significant amount of money to spend on a sport that ITV or SKY would be happy to broadcast.

Didn't ITV dump F1 mid-way through a contract so they could have more cash to spend on football rights? And weren't ITV constantly criticised for running advertisements during the races often at some of the most exciting points?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    OK, now I'm hoping Murdoch gets F1. I'll throw him a few quid not to have stupid adverts interrupting my grand prix :(
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    ITV won't pay this amount for it either which will leave Bernie with something of a dilemma. Will Sky make it worth his while to take it off FTA TV?

If neither BBC nor ITV were bidding for it, then with no competition I don't see Murdoch's bid going much past £3.47.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this happens i will be so mad. They have just spend 22m on a bloody reality Program.

Why,,, no, never mind that, how do they spend £22m on a reality programme?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    If neither BBC nor ITV were bidding for it, then with no competition I don't see Murdoch's bid going much past £3.47.

Channel 5 might offer £5, then say how much better highlights are than live, like they do with cricket, and give us about half an hour of it on a Monday evening...
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    msim wrote: »
    Didn't ITV dump F1 mid-way through a contract so they could have more cash to spend on football rights? And weren't ITV constantly criticised for running advertisements during the races often at some of the most exciting points?

That's ITV trying to make it profitable though, not showing contempt for the F1

I also think that was at a time when ITV weren't in a great financial position. They probably had to choose between renewing either F1 or Champions League, and the latter would make more sense
  • Options
    AdderAdder Posts: 1,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't get is why the BBC don't save £55m a year by dropping the Premier League? It's on at an unsociably late time anyway out of peak and it is already extensively covered by Sky and almost every other media outlet.

The very definition of what the BBC doesn't need to be wasting license fee money on!
  • Options
    david04121980david04121980 Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    I'd be sad to not see Jake doing the anchor role, it would end up going to someone like Ben Shepherd if it's on Sky

If it went on SKY I suspect that Jake and team poss would get offered it. But, with the concord agreement it says that F1 must remain free to air. This concord agreement runs out in 2012, so theres a few things on the table here

1. there is another agreement in place that agrees what there is now
    2. another Free to air channel takes over F1 before the present concord deal runs out
    3. Murdoch and co buy F1 and they get the new concord in agreement that states F1 can be shown on Pay TV for lots more money!.
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always thought F1 lent itself to Pay Per View somehow, rather than mainstream TV. Don't know why.
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    Adder wrote: »
    What I don't get is why the BBC don't save £55m a year by dropping the Premier League? It's on at an unsociably late time anyway out of peak and it is already extensively covered by Sky and almost every other media outlet.

The very definition of what the BBC doesn't need to be wasting license fee money on!

MOTD gets good figures, and is also the only place for many to see something approaching proper highlights of games. Not everyone has Sky/ESPN and it's not like news channels carry anything more than a minute or two of action
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    NO :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

F1 has to pay because of the voice :mad:
  • Options
    Seanieb1983Seanieb1983 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be really annoyed if they pull F1 in favour of saving BBC4 and some random radio stations works?

Are the regular 5million viewers suddenly going to swich to BBC4 and start listening to the Asian Network?

It's like cutting your nose of to spite your face.

And they've gone and bought an Xfactor rip off - that'll fail purely on the basis they can't compete with the sensationalism of the Xfactor, due to it all being funded by the license fee.
    Not to mention how many millions they'll allegedly spend on wooing Cheryl Cole onto the judging panel.

Maybe if they stopped re-commissioning crap thats well past its sell by date like 2pints they could pump that cash into BBC4?

Hopefully there'll be a bit of a public outcry like there was with 6music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aspartame wrote: »
    OK, now I'm hoping Murdoch gets F1. I'll throw him a few quid not to have stupid adverts interrupting my grand prix :(

Youll pay through the nose for it and have loads of ads in it.