The Soundtrack To Your Life

TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Imagine you won a competition to have a compilation CD made, that'd get released, with songs that you've loved from when you were born right up until now.. what'd you have on it?

Comments

• Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Ooh wow, interesting one!

Ok so given you can normally fit about 20 songs on a standard CD, I guess I'd go with something like this:

1) Erasure - A Little Respect (came out, I think, the week I was born and coincidentally also one of my fave songs ever)

2) Pet Shop Boys - Go West (my favourite group of all time with one of my earliest memories of a brand new song in the charts - I remember them performing it on TV, probably either TOTP or Live & Kicking)

3) PJ & Duncan - Let's Get Ready to Rhumble (ok, ok, I know it's terrible :p But I loved it when I was 5!)

4) Steps - Better Best Forgotten (the first music video I taped off TV and subsequently wore the tape out to death. Loved every song they did as a kid)

5) Cartoons - Witch Doctor (the second music video I taped off TV. See above - I thought I was being quite clever at the time as I didn't have to go into a shop to buy the CD, I'd record it at home for free and get the video too)

6) Hear'Say - Pure & Simple (probably the last song of my childhood I really loved and me and some friends would spend every breaktime learning the dance routine - I turned 13 later that year and my musical tastes began to change)

7) Junior Senior - Move Your Feet (utterly obsessed with this age 14, one of the first songs I downloaded on mp3 from an old file-sharing program)

8) XTM - Fly On The Wings of Love (...and this was the song that started my love of dance music that continues to this day)

9) The Prodigy - Out of Space (why is this here? Because I 'discovered' it in 2004 and it blew my mind, subsequently shunning chart music for a few years as I listened to old 90s stuff and then-current underground hard house and trance)

10) System F - Out of the Blue (another one somewhat out of sequence - released back in 1999 - but is here because it reminds me of about six years later as I fell in love with the trance of half a decade earlier. One of my fave songs of all time)

11) Cascada - Everytime We Touch (one of the few chart songs of the mid-noughties I really liked, and - somewhat embarrassingly - the first act I ever saw live, at the Hammersmith Apollo around the same time)

12) Mika - Grace Kelly (a bit of a move back to more mainstream pop now as I started to enjoy the chart again, loved this when I was 18)

13) Alphabeat - Fascination (Wow, my tastes did change a lot around this time :p The second act I saw live after Cascada, and while I'm a bit sick of it now as I played it to absolute death in 2008 it's very evocative of the end of my teens)

14) La Roux - In For The Kill (a song I simply adored, along with their whole album)

15) Major Lazer - Pon De Floor (finally I'd got to an era where I actually heard dance tracks on dancefloors rather than on radios or mp3s...to this day I love dancing to this (the original, non-Beyonce version) and the DJ played it in my honour at my birthday in September :D )

16) Bruno Mars - Billionaire (back to pop but a song with very happy memories of a couple of summers ago)

17) Lady Gaga - The Edge of Glory (her very best song. During summer last year I went through a phase of playing this every time I woke up, takes me back to that time instantly)

18) DJ Fresh - Louder (as does this. Simple as that :) )

19) David Guetta feat Sia - Titanium (still absolutely loving this almost a year after release but only recently have I really got into it - hopefully a future classic)

20) fun. feat Janelle Monae - We Are Young (and bang up to date with my favourite song of 2012!)

I could probably do a ton more but 20 seemed like a nice round number to do :) Will be interesting to look back at this post in years to come and see if I still agree with the choices, particularly the later ones!
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    1)Everything But The Girl - Missing(Todd Terry Remix). I remember listening to this in the car a lot as a child. My Dad used to skip tracks on the Brit Award cd we had ,so I could hear it. It's probably what I'd say is my favourite song.

2)Coolio Ft L.V - Gangstas Paradise I used to play this song (on the same Brit Award CD too it was a good one!) all the time on my CD player, funnily enough I don't really like rap much but love this song. I used to sing out loud along with the backing vocals/choir.

3)Dodgy - Good Enough. Reminds me of dancing around the room with my older brother, I must have been about 8 or so.

4)ATB - Til I Come (9pm) I remember playing out with my group of friends who lived in my road and quite often this song was played. Tbh we listened to quite a lot of dance music, although my friends who were guys quite liked Pop music, like Steps who even then I thought were lame:p I remember being ostracised for saying Steps are rubbish haha.

5) Oasis - Roll With It. My Dad was quite a big Oasis fan in the 90s so I remember hearing this one and Wonderwall (amongst others) a fair bit. Think I like this one a bit more though.

6) White Town - Your Woman. I used to listen to this on my cassette player (I feel old now) when I went travelling with my Gran. For a long time I didn't know what the song/band was called as I had lost the notes that had the track listing of the tape.

7) David Bowie - Starman. One of the first rock songs I heard, loved it straight away from a young age. My Dad used to play the Ziggy Stardust... album many times

8) Earth, Wind and Fire - Lets Groove . My Mum loved this group and saw them live so quite often she'd play their Hits album in the house. Heard this a lot on Sundays when the house was being cleaned, I had to dance to it along with my Mum:)

9)Isley Brothers - This Old Heart Of Mine When I was about 10 I went through a Motown period and this is one of my faves.

10) Texas - Inner Smile. Great pop song, we'd always play Texas' hits album on the CD player whenever we decorated the house. Heard this one a lot of times.

11) Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way. Probably my introduction to the Peppers, my then best friend showed me the music vid and I thought it was brilliant. I bought By The Way (Album) and then bought all their other albums and they're my favourite band now.

12)Sugababes - Hole In the Head. At one point in High school I was really into Pop music, my mate and I would listen to this song on the bus all the time.

13) Keane - Your Eyes Open When their album debuted all my friends had it, so it was played in many peoples cars. Hopes and Fears is still a good album today.

14) The Feeling - Fill My Little World . In my later years of High school my little brother and I liked listening to this one in the car.

15)The Cure - Just Like Heaven I wasn't around when the Cure debuted but I discovered them (and their albums) in 6th Form and have loved them since.

16) New Order- True Faith. In 1st yr of Uni I really got into New Order, used to play this before a night out cus I'm a bit old skool :P.

17) Radiohead - Lotus Flower When I first heard this song it was weird and I hadn't heard anything like it but it really grew on me. I already had a lot of Radioheads older songs (Creep etc) but their electronic sounding stuff was great to get into.

18)Sixpence None The Richer - Kiss Me. Liked the song as a kid and for purely sentimental/soppy reasons I listened to the song lot not too long ago as I experienced one of my more serious relationships with someone.

19)America - A Horse With No Name Only got it a few yrs ago but it's just a really calming song so I listen to it when I get a bit stressed, also I love the harmonies.

20)The Clash - Rock The Casbah. My fave Punk band, this song never fails to make me smile.

I don't listen to much modern/chart music so that's why the more 'recent' songs are actually older music.

Apologies for the BIG post I just wanted 20 songs and the reasons why I loved em.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) 2 Unlimited - No Limits (First Single I ever bought)
    2) Oasis - Supersonic (Definitely maybe came out when I was 6, I LOVED Supersonic because I loved Sonic on my Megadrive, 6 year old singing "She did it with a doctor, in a helicopter)
    3) Shakespeare's Sister - Stay (I was Absolutely Terrified of this video, but I used to watch it whenever I could, just to see, and be scared by the woman in it)
    4) Neighbours Theme Tune (Loved it as a child, still watch it now)
    5) Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreets Back) (So many school discos had this playing, just reminds me of primary school)
    6) Steps -Last Thing on my Mind (Loved Steps as a kid, still love Lisa Scott Lee)
    7) Britney - (You Drive Me) Crazy (Stop Remix) - (Bringing together my love of Britney and Melissa Joan Hart in one awesome video)
    8) Destiny's Child - So Good (Almost broke The Writings on the Wall listening to this so much)
    8) Ordinary Boys - Talk Talk Talk (Reminds me of many hours hiding in the common room at school)
    8) Usher - Yeah! (Still a song I request on every night out, ever since started going out to clubs)
    9) Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone (Fell in love with her through this song)
    10) P!nk - Trouble (A song from Try This, which I have listened to, in full, the night before every single exam I've ever sat (3 years of school exams, 4 years of Uni and 2 years of professional, must have heard album in full at least 100 times))
    11) Keane - Everybody's Changing (Saw them at my first proper gig, Radio 1's big weekend, awesome performance, not long after their debut was released)
    12) Razorlight - Somewhere Else (Another going out song)
    13) Fratelli's - Chelsea Dagger (Reminds me of Freshers week at Uni)
    14) The Courteeners - Not 19 Forever (played this for about a month on loop before turning 20 :( )
    15) The Killers - Human (Reminds me of a super drunken, awesome night)
    16) The Undertones - Teenage Dreams (Don't know why but halfway through Uni I couldn't stop listening to this song)
    17) Dixie Chicks - Travelling Soldier (Dixie Chicks really got me into Country, and this is easily my favourite Dixie Chicks tracks)
    18)Jay z & Alicia Keys - Empire State of Mind (Went to NYC just before this was released and was obsessed with the place)
    19) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance (Went to see her just after finished uni, this was a huge song in 4th year)
    20) B*Witched - C'est La Vie (They performed at Grad Ball, was suitably awesome)
    21) Beyonce - Halo (T In the Park, Saw her live, Finally, and she was just beyond perfection)
    22) Brandon Flowers - Clock Was Tickin (Favourite solo song by him, saw him at the same T In the Park, and he didn't even bloody sing the song)
    23) Rihanna - What's My Name (Reminds me of an awesome Hogmanay)

God that was tough, and barely even touchs up on my favourite songs, as I stuck to it being an actual soundtrack. Was hoping to have Room for Johnny Cash, Another Britney, Frank Sinatra and some Clubland!
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some brilliant choices :)
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Born This Way (Lady Gaga) - It's a great message to live by, whoever you are

2. Under the Ivy (Kate Bush) - I can relate so much to this song it's unreal, and I have to include something by Kate Bush who is an artist who has come to mean so much to me in these recent years

3. Stay (Shakespears Sister) - Haunting and other-wordly

4. Vienna (Ultravox) - "This means nothing to me..."

5. Shake It Out (Florence + The Machine) - The song I always go to if I want a mood lifter

6. Your Disco Needs You (Kylie Minogue) - Kylie was a huge part of my childhood, and I continue to be a fan

7. Everytime (Britney Spears) - There has to be a Britney song, and I relate to this one

8. Because of You (Kelly Clarkson) - I love Kelly, and this is my favourite song of hers

9. Holiday (Madonna) - I've been a Madonna fan for a long time, and this still remains one of the best songs she's ever done

10. No Limit (2Unlimited) - This song was everywhere when I was little and I still love it

11. Opposites Attract (Paula Abdul) - Purely because Paula dancing with Mc Skat Cat in the video is one of the best moments in pop music

12. Thriller (Michael Jackson ft. Vincent Price) - Life long fan of Michael Jackson's music, and this is my favourite

13. Life On Mars (David Bowie) - Combines my love of David Bowie and the LOM TV show

14. Rapture (Blondie) - I'm a Blondie fan, and love this song

15. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Whitney Houston) - Another song that was my childhood. Rest in peace, Whitney.

16. Perfect (Fairground Attraction) - Love this song, Eddi Reader, and the video

17. Flying Dutchman (Tori Amos, Gold Dust album version) - Taps into my whimsical side

18. White Nights (Oh Land) - As above

19. Run (Leona Lewis) - Just so beautiful

20. I Wanna Be The Only One (Eternal) - Loved them when they were around, and this song always cheers me up

Another long list, but once you start it's hard to stop! :p
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can do a certain order but love the idea of this thread

1) Britney Spears - Baby one more time (Britney's 1st album and this song was really the first music i ever got into so she pretty much is how i started my music collection which is my undying love now

2) Madonna - Vogue (one of the first videos that really stuck out for me when i was little and i always had this on repeat when i used to play my mother's Immaculate collection cd)

3) TLC - No scrubs (this was one of the first R&B tunes I ever heard which introduced me to a world outside of Pop music and was the start of be allowing to check out other genres)

4) Pink - Family Portrait (i remember adoring this song and becoming one of the few songs in which i knew all the words to at a young age. The song didn't hit me on a personal level, but years later it would so it holds a place in my heart)

5) Gavin DeGraw - Chariot (i remember lovin this song instantly and the album it's from is my all time fav album of all time, also he was the first gig i ever went to)

6) Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own (Amy winehouse's back to black changed my life because it introduced me to jazz, soul and Motown type music. The album is one of my all time fav and this song always stuck out for me even before it became a single. This song was a turning point on how i looked at music.

7) Bon Jovi - Livin on a prayer (I grew up listening to Bon Jovi and when we used to go on long car journey's, Bon Jovi was always in the stereo and this was the first song i ever heard from them. Takes me back to great family memories.

8) Sugababes - Denial (i was at a point in my life where i was in denial in certain aspects going on in my life and I felt this was my anthem at the time)

9) Colbie Caillat - Bubbly (i got into Colbie around Xmas time back in 07 and 07 was such a rare special Christmas for the family and I played this song a lot around then)

10) Rihanna - Take a bow (this song really cemented for me when i realised that Rihanna was more than just some guy doing pop tunes and i remember playing this song to absolute death. In some ways i could identity with the lyrics, but also reminds me why I adore this artist to this day)

11) Dusty springfield - Son of a preacher man (i decided i wanted to check out some artists from the past and Dusty was someone who i hadn't heard much but knew a fair bit about and this song allowed me to fully respect and acknowledge the music that influenced today's music)

12) Rihanna - Stupid In love (Her rated r album came at a dark time in my life and I still to this day hold this album close to my heart because every emotion in this album was how i was feeling, especially this song. This album helped me a lot)

13) Florence + The Machine - Rabbit heart (this song got me into florence, but also allowed me to check out similar artists of the alternative genre. This song and the amazing album it comes from always takes me to a different world, something i had never felt previously with an artist before. I think if i hadn't got into Florence, i would of never had got to like Kate Bush, Lana Del Rey)

14) Adele - Rolling in the deep (i remember hearing this song and finding the production so epic and her vocals. I found the lyrics left me thinking and also wondering what the song was trying to explain and when i did, i felt this song was written for me and somehow summed up past events and then how i would deal with future events)