Vertigo Roadtrip

raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why isn't this called Acrophobia Roadtrip? Vertigo is nothing to do with fear of heights.

Comments

• IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else watching this? I was almost getting emotional for Lee, the guy scared of the diving boards - good for him! and that lady that was so scared of the bridge but managed to walk right across it. Its somehow quite a powerful show, makes you think about what your scared of, to try to put it in perspective.

I think this show really reinforces dealing with issues slowly, taking things a little bit at a time.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I wouldn;t of fancied doing the last task
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For all their fear of heights they managed the air journeys!
  • dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why isn't this called Acrophobia Roadtrip? Vertigo is nothing to do with fear of heights.

Just came on here to say the same. What a silly title, but then again what a silly programme. Seems more the sort of rubbish you expect to find on ITV.
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nice little travel jolly for them all basically. and it was just too boring to watch.

none of them seemed as bad as perhaps the programme implied either - they were hardly quivering wrecks having panic attacks.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member

To be fair, they never called it vertigo during the programme though.
    cantos wrote: »
    I wouldn;t of fancied doing the last task

That last task was awesome, I would love to go there and see that view!
    The only one that would put me off was the diving board, I wouldn't fancy that at all.

What I want to know is how did they get to all those locations, presumably to get to the United Arab Emirates they must have flown. How is that different to the cable car?
  • Roni_JRoni_J Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was quite a dull programme I think they should have gone further with the cable cars.

My father got so fed up with my fear of heights that when we went on holiday to Switzerland he planned a route that meant getting in smaller and smaller cable cars until we were left with pretty much a ski lift with no other way back to the hotel without waiting until the next morning.

My father may seem cruel but half way up that last mountain my fear of heights vanished and I was able to enjoy the view. When we went to Italy the next year I was not only able to walk out on to platform above a sheer drop but was able to film the drop on his camcorder without any ill effects.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could argue the ultimate test for these people wouldn't be to stand at the top of the tallest building in the world but...

to skydive.

That would be the ultimate way to test/overcome their fear of heights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gibman wrote: »
    nice little travel jolly for them all basically. and it was just too boring to watch.

none of them seemed as bad as perhaps the programme implied either - they were hardly quivering wrecks having panic attacks.

Two of them definitely were - the lady who was scared of the bridge, she had a panic attack and her heartrate went markedly up. She needed a lot of coaching to go anywhere near the bridge. Then there was Lee, who was really scared of going on the diving boards and felt his traumatic accident/experience was like a near death experience to him.

I didn't find it boring to watch - at first maybe but I found myself cheering them on and feeling proud of their achievements.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    You could argue the ultimate test for these people wouldn't be to stand at the top of the tallest building in the world but...

to skydive.

True, but you won't get me bungee jumping OR going on the rides at Alton, etc.

But bring on the Burj: now re-planning my holiday so I can fit in the time to go up it. Looks like great VFM for 20 quid. :D
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member

to skydive.

I agree. I was expecting the final test to be something like a sky dive, bungee jump, abseil etc. to prove how far they'd progressed.

As a couple of them explained its not the actual height in metres that makes it scary but the fear of falling and feeling unsafe. Going up a building, however high, which is solid and secure would probably have been far less scary than the cable car or bridge which they'd already acheived where they would have felt more exposed.

Also what was the diving board bit all about?:confused: I thought they'd get him to go off the 10m board or at least the 5m or even 3m one. They only showed him jumping off the little 1m springboard. That's like jumping off a chair!
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Also what was the diving board bit all about?:confused: I thought they'd get him to go off the 10m board or at least the 5m or even 3m one. They only showed him jumping off the little 1m springboard. That's like jumping off a chair!

Not, if, like me, you can't swim.....

That board is as high as Everest to me! :o

• P_PP_P Posts: 18,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it a little boring at the beginning but I really got into it throughout the show. I think it was great that they all faced their fears and they seemed to be nice, normal people.

It was interesting to see just how much better they felt after facing their biggest fear, I don't know whether I could've done some of the things they did. :)
  • NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Mel Gidroyc (sp?) signed-up with Sarah Millican's agent? She's hardly ever off the telly at the moment.:D
  • alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This seemed to be a typical overstatement of fear of heights. I have never been able to deal with heights, but I'm seventy-one, and I don't feel that I've missed out on life because of it.

Personally, I think that a respectful fear of heights is just an extension of the self-preservation response that we all possess. A phobia is defined as an irrational fear, but there is nothing irrational about finding heights objectionable. Similarly, if I was described as homophobic, my response would be that I am no more fearful of homosexuals, than any other members of society.

The programme was interesting, but the father who was fretting about his sons being afraid of heights, needed to get real. My personal view is that the five did OK while being a mentored group, but the first time they have an untoward experience, they will regress to their original condition. I hope not, but I think that they will.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel was very good with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

to skydive.

I'm not afraid of heights but you wouldn't catch me skydiving, or abseiling etc., no thanks(!). I'd be fine walking across the bridges shown and going up those tall buildings, that wouldn't bother me at all but going down the sides of cliffs with/by a rope or leaping out of a plan? no thanks. Also presumably the fear of heights menas a fear of being (and going) up high, not coming down :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    Not, if, like me, you can't swim.....

That board is as high as Everest to me! :o

Yeah same here - I have a phobia of getting water in my eyes and I can't swim either, so I wouldn't be keen on diving either, no matter how low the board is :blush:
  • J-ZeeJ-Zee Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I said the same thing, so cynical, not convinced they were genuine. Oops I'm scared of falling between the stairs whey hey I'm off on a paid trip and now I'm fine
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's no connection, I have a fear of heights, which I've challenged by going up the World Trade centre, on cable cars etc but it's still these.
    I was amused at the boss of my old company, when we took clients on the Millennium Wheel, he couldn't face it and had to sit on the bench with his eyes closed til we were almost down again, yet he has PPL and his own plane..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    They should have simply called the show Roadtrip :D
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes,I couldn't work that one out either.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the same thing.
    I have a mild fear of heights and a fear of takeoffs when flying, but I still fly, as once I'm up there and people are moving around the cabin, it's just sitting in a box and relying on someone else to get you to your destination safely.

It's the relying on yourself that most of the time kicks in with a real fear of heights - whether it's walking on your own along a snow-covered high bridge, climbing an open staircase in a glass-enclosed building, or actually having to walk to a table and serve drinks above a sheer drop, you are in charge of making your body move.

I watched that program and wondered whether I could have done all the things they did and came to the conclusion that there were a couple I would find difficult, but, with the help of others, would have succeeded.
    But what would have really freaked me out was traveling to that high bridge in a van, along a snow-covered, slippery mountain road with a sheer drop at one side. :o But that's probably because I've been in that situation before.
    Not much was made of that, however.
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a lifetime "fear of heights" and doubt if I would have come out of that programme cured. They opened the show with them happily walking down steep escalators! A difficult or impossible task for some people with that fear.

Applying logic to a situation doesn't help. The physical reaction is so real that Mel whispering in your ear would just make it worse!

I have no problem flying because it "feels safe" to me and doesn't seem high, but watch me descend stairs that planes sometimes use! It's a perception of danger that really gets you going. On that stairs you *are* high and you *could* fall. Glass balconies are safe, but the reaction would be the same for me. An impending doom. I recently refused to take a training course because it was the top level of a two level portakabin and the only way up was a fire escape type arrangement on the *outside* of the building. I could walk up 50 flights of stairs, no problem as long as there were no gaps in the stairs or glass sides, i.e. completely enclosed. I would avoid the right hand side because of seeing down and would need banisters on the left. Their first task, on the stairs, would have freaked me out.

I would be willing to try the tasks on the show, but I don't believe I could have done most of them, apart from maybe the cable car.
  • raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to throw in my fourpennorth, I'm terrified of heights, don't even like scenes in old films where it's obvious back projection, but I love flying!