Going in to work when ill

JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know there have been threads about this before but I couldn't find them.

People at my work keep making me ill by coming in spreading their germs.
Now I am feeling ill. Should I lick all the cups in order to spread my illness just to spite them?

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, yes you should and say lots of words with h sounds to spread the germs
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    I know there have been threads about this before but I couldn't find them.

People at my work keep making me ill by coming in spreading their germs.
    Now I am feeling ill. Should I lick all the cups in order to spread my illness just to spite them?
    It's tempting, I know, but ultimately all you'll do is keep the cycle of infection and re-infection going. Be the bigger man ! Just lick every other tea-spoon. :)
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good ideas here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    From what I've heard (my information might be wrong or I misheard it) being off three times in a year's becoming a disciplinary offence at the Co-Op now. If they wanted me to go in when I was feeling like shit, I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF I'M SICK ON THE SHOPFLOOR!!!

Is it any wonder the Co-Op're losing respect?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt anyone would notice in my local co-op most of the staff are like zombies anyway with bits falling off them and vacant expressions
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    What I really hate about being off work sick is phoning in.

It's even worse if you work on a supermarket shopfloor as a till operator or shelf stacker because you get made to feel guilty about putting pressure on everybody else and letting tje side down after so long.
    Strangely enough, the last time i was ill at work, I went in feeling perfectly alrighr (I'd had a short chest infection which lasted three days) but with ninety minutes before the end of the shift I began to feel terrible and just wanted to get off home. I told the boss and what was his response (It'll be another hour before you can go).
    I've got the same bad news for the Co-op as i had for NETTO- I can't help being off sick..

Sorry, supermakret shopfloor staff aren't supposed to be ill are we?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you make as many other people ill as possible they will get their comeuppance
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    But do you blame the people for coming into work when ill or do you blame the buisness for having disciplinary offence for people being off sick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the Daily Mail personally.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Best comment so far!
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say I am guilty of coming into work ill unless I am so ill that I cannot move.

Can't afford to miss a day's pay unless absolutely a matter of life and death.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I get full sick pay, but still come in unless i'm really ill. You can be fired for being off sick persistently and it can also count against you in a redundancy situation.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    I really hate when people come into work when they are sick.

Once where I work someone came in with a stomach bug, when they were still being sick in the toilet every so often. Then they spread it to someone else etc etc then the whole department was off with it for a few weeks across the month. How bloody stupid

Or when you are in the kicthen area and someone comes in coughing and sneezing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People just generally make me sick
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I really hate when people come into work when they are sick.

Once where I work someone came in with a stomach bug, when they were still being sick in the toilet every so often. Then they spread it to someone else etc etc then the whole department was off with it for a few weeks across the month. How bloody stupid

Or when you are in the kicthen area and someone comes in coughing and sneezing

Blame employers for sacking people with poor sickness records or only paying SSP.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a germ spreader in my office, and I've come to resent her after many years of her sneezing, coughing, nose sreaming, and being generally unwell.

She thinks she's holier than thou for coming in when she's ill, but she's just a walking health hazard. She should be in quarantine!

I'm asthmatic, so her respiratory germs really take their toll on me, and can actually be quite dangerous. Also, a woman in my office developed pneumonia from a chest infection, which itself developed because of a cold, which probably came from the said germ spreader.

Just not acceptable to be put at risk like that, just through going to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    There's a germ spreader in my office, and I've come to resent her after many years of her sneezing, coughing, nose sreaming, and being generally unwell.

She thinks she's holier than thou for coming in when she's ill, but she's just a walking health hazard. She should be in quarantine!

I'm asthmatic, so her respiratory germs really take their toll on me, and can actually be quite dangerous. Also, a woman in my office developed pneumonia from a chest infection, which itself developed because of a cold, which probably came from the said germ spreader.

What a b*()ch
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

I think this is very good advice. If I cannot blame the Daily Mail, I blame Muslims and/.or Facebook.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a b*()ch

Oh yes, she is, and not just because she's a spreader. :D
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    LifeisGood wrote: »

Many people come in when ill as they feel pressured to do so. They live in fear of losing their jobs.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As some one with no sick pay and not entitled to statutory sick pay either I work unless I am actually dying even then I will struggle on as long as I can. Not best for the company, colleagues or myself but can't afford to just not work.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    We all do it. We know the school won't be able to get cover and our HT makes us feel under incredible pressure. We get sick pay but the council are all up with their maximising attendence reviews and you're too feart to take a day off unless you absolutely cannot function. I work in Early Years and naturally there are colds and viruses going round all the time. We catch everything going and if we took time off everytime we caught something we'd be out of a job pretty quickly!
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    What I really hate about being off work sick is phoning in.

It's even worse if you work on a supermarket shopfloor as a till operator or shelf stacker because you get made to feel guilty about putting pressure on everybody else and letting tje side down after so long.
    Strangely enough, the last time i was ill at work, I went in feeling perfectly alrighr (I'd had a short chest infection which lasted three days) but with ninety minutes before the end of the shift I began to feel terrible and just wanted to get off home. I told the boss and what was his response (It'll be another hour before you can go).
    I've got the same bad news for the Co-op as i had for NETTO- I can't help being off sick..

Sorry, supermakret shopfloor staff aren't supposed to be ill are we?
    Try working for the NHS and being ill then. No sympathy and no sense in dealing with multiple or longterm, genuine illnesses whatsoever!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    As some one with no sick pay and not entitled to statutory sick pay either I work unless I am actually dying even then I will struggle on as long as I can. Not best for the company, colleagues or myself but can't afford to just not work.

not getting sick pay certainly focuses the mind when you're ill. I can think of a couple of times in the last 6 months where i could have easily taken time off. Not being paid for that day at the end of the month incentivises you.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    People who get paid when off sick tend to be off more than those who don't.