Options

Using The Disabled Toilet When Not In A Wheelchair

Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since I got diagnosed with something back in 1995 at the age of 5 which I'm too afraid to go into on here my family has always had a key for the disabled toilet. I can walk though and use the proper ones. I only go in disabled toilet when the men's is very busy like in a supermarket or if I'm not feeling well now. How many people use the disabled toilet although they are not in a wheelchair? I have seen everybody use it if they close the proper ones but then there is a huge queue.

Comments

• Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since I got diagnosed with something back in 1995 at the age of 5 which I'm too afraid to go into on here my family has always had a key for the disabled toilet. I can walk though and use the proper ones. I only go in disabled toilet when the men's is very busy like in a supermarket or if I'm not feeling well now. How many people use the disabled toilet although they are not in a wheelchair? I have seen everybody use it if they close the proper ones but then there is a huge queue.

Which disablo-crappers are you visiting that require keys? :o

The once I use you can just waltz in. Once you push the other folk out the way obvs.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »

The once I use you can just waltz in. Once you push the other folk out the way obvs.

The ones with RADAR NKS keys I assume.

Although I think there's far to many RADAR keys knocking about these days,
    you can buy them on ebay.

back to the OPs question

Disabled toilets are not exclusively for those in wheelchairs.
    It's unfortunate that some take the "wheelchair symbol" too literally, including some wheelchair users.

Such toilets in public buildings, without keys, can be used by anyone.

RADAR ones are intended for anyone who needs the extra space/mobility aids in the toilet. I use them because I have an illiostomy which is difficult to empty without kneeling down, and pretty impossible to change.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »

They probably mean the ones that use the RADAR key.

I have one too, which I use if there are no other toilets near by.

Unless I was desperate I would always let someone more physically disabled use the toilet first, but I often need to use the toilet because I am desperate due to IBS.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy from the IT Crowd sums this up best..
    It's not like a parking space, Moss.
    I think.
    I think it's okay, isn't it? It's okay.

:D

On a serious note, I wouldn't make a habit of using disabled toilets - but I wouldn't hesitate to use them if there was no other option (in the local McDonalds the regular toilets are usually locked, but the disabled ones aren't, which makes no sense).

I wouldn't say they are just for people in wheelchairs - an ex of mine (who had a disability, but didn't use a wheelchair) had a RADAR key and used disabled loos primarily because they were often closer than all the other toilets (in stadiums and things) and it meant less stair climbing or walking for miles.

RADAR keys can be bought online, they aren't a means-tested thing.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I used a disabled toilet on a bad ferry crossing out of desperation once. Everyone was being sick. I came out and a poor lady in a wheelchair was sitting outside with sick all over her. She gave me the filthiest look. I felt pretty bad, I can tell you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    It's already been said, but it's worth repeating: you don't have to be in a wheelchair to use a disabled toilet - you merely have to be disabled.
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you've got level 5 turtles head, it's every man for himself.......
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think disabled is a very infrequently used toilet. When a supermarket is so is short of toilets, and bursting with people. It's logical it's seen as an extra facility. But one that is prioritised to the disabled.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Many disabilities don't use a wheelchair

Those toilets are for disabled people not just people in wheelchairs

I use the disabled toilet if I'm out as I need help getting on and off the toilet
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    It's already been said, but it's worth repeating: you don't have to be in a wheelchair to use a disabled toilet - you merely have to be disabled.

You don't really have to be disabled either. Toilets have to be accessible to people with disabilities but are not for the sole use of people with disabilities (except the few locked radar ones). Of course you'd be extremely selfish to use a disabled loo when there are standards loos available, but if there isn't or they're all in use then its fine!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    You don't really have to be disabled either. Toilets have to be accessible to people with disabilities but are not for the sole use of people with disabilities (except the few locked radar ones). Of course you'd be extremely selfish to use a disabled loo when there are standards loos available, but if there isn't or they're all in use then its fine!
    Yes, it's a bit like a wheelchair ramp - there's nothing to stop you walking up it, but you'd be a bit of an arse if you made a wheelchair user back up :D
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    they`re loos that are wide enough for a wheelchair user, not exclusively for wheelchairs, else they wouldn`t house the baby changing in most of them.
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like using them because they're usually cleaner and have a comfy backrest to lean on while reading the paper. ......
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    they`re loos that are wide enough for a wheelchair user, not exclusively for wheelchairs, else they wouldn`t house the baby changing in most of them.

Good point
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    They're accessible toilets, thus open to everyone, wheelchair users included. At least that was what I was taught on an equality and diversity training course. Lots of people have hidden disabilities that prevent them from using the general toilets, and no-one should be reprimanded for using one.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's a bit like a wheelchair ramp - there's nothing to stop you walking up it, but you'd be a bit of an arse if you made a wheelchair user back up :D

Haha, I like that explanation. :D

Legally, various business premises are obliged to provide toilet facilities that are suitable for disabled people, which includes being big enough for a wheelchair user, but they'll also have a sanitary bin, which regular gents toilets may not have.

At my old work, the only toilet in the reception/waiting area was the disabled loo, so that's what visitors are expected to use. Quite a lot of my colleagues would use it routinely too, and I'm fairly certain most of them had no reason other than it was a bit less dingy.

I personally would avoid using a disabled loo if there was a normal one convenient, but it is incorrect to presume they are for the exclusive use of people with a disability.

Quite often I've been in places where there are queues out of the door for the ladies loos, which winds past a disabled toilet, that no-one has the guts to use. I think that's daft, and ultimately, unhelpful. I'd just hope that a person who needs that specific toilet can go straight to the front of the queue.

On the other hand, Radar keys for public toilets are supposed to be restricted, but obviously there are some people who abuse the system.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My understanding is that they are accessible for disabled people but can be used by anyone.

Round my way there are several places where the ladies is the disabled loo so yes, I use the disabled loo.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    That made me laugh. :blush::D
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At work, we have a gents' toilet, a ladies' toilet and an accessible toilet. The gents' cubicles have paperthin walls so get to hear your work colleagues going about their business. Of course I use the luxurious accessible toilet where I can crap away as loudly as I like with no prying ears :D
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Equality laws were not introduced to give MORE rights.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In quite a few places there is only one toilet, the accessible one, and so it is there for everyone's use. The accessible toilet also doubles as the baby changing room in lots of places. So yeah I use them quite frequently.

I picked up a Radar key off Amazon (on the recommendation of some friends who had bought them too) and I make use of it when the regular toilets are busy and I don't want to queue.
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Often, having a pushchair with you can be a pain in regular toilets, so I would always use the disabled access toilet if I had no one to mind my little people. The baby changing facilities are frequently located in there too. I recall being told by a disabled lady once when this was discussed previously that I should abandon my expensive pushchair outside the loo and hold my baby whilst I peed. Silly cow.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger I used to go to this Wetherspoons where you had to walk all the way upstairs to use the toilet - which when you've had a few pints and are pissing ever 15 mins is a complete pain. However there was also a disabled toilet downstairs - right next to where we usually sat. It had a key but we worked out that you could open it using a credit card :D
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allaboard wrote: »
    Often, having a pushchair with you can be a pain in regular toilets, so I would always use the disabled access toilet if I had no one to mind my little people. The baby changing facilities are frequently located in there too. I recall being told by a disabled lady once when this was discussed previously that I should abandon my expensive pushchair outside the loo and hold my baby whilst I peed. Silly cow.

I did the same, if I was out with my kids on my own I'd use the larger stall and take them in with me.

I don't see the disabled toilets as existing for the 'sole' use by disabled folks. They are there to accommodate someone who needs extra space or assistance and other people may use them too if need be. Now that my children are grown I don't use them unless there's no other toilet available.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the same, if I was out with my kids on my own I'd use the larger stall and take them in with me.

I don't see the disabled toilets as existing for the 'sole' use by disabled folks. They are there to accommodate someone who needs extra space or assistance and other people may use them too if need be. Now that my children are grown I don't use them unless there's no other toilet available.

Disabled toilets also come in handy for men out with children... When I was too little to go in the ladies by myself my step-dad would take me in the disabled toilet and he does the same now when he takes my daughter out. When any of my male friends take my kids out for the day I tell them to take my daughter in the disabled toilet if she needs to go.