Options

Dispatches: Tricks of the Dole Cheats: Mon 13th

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Yay, more dole bashing.

Lets hope they give some good advice on how to get your benefits.
Reporter Morland Sanders investigates Jobcentre Plus, the organisation tasked with getting Britain back to work and cracking down on dole cheats. With the help of jobseekers, undercover filming and a former insider, the programme reveals the shirkers' tricks that make it easy to cheat the system.

So is it an investigation into the Jobcentre Plus or Dole Cheats?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a reminder this propaganda piece for the Coalition is on tonight.

I wonder how much the blond actress in the promo was paid to say 'yes'?

Good timing also with the Job Center staff on strike today.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look forward to CH4s "Secrets of the Tax Cheats"

Starring the entire CH4/BBC executive level.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone could fill that book with nonsence.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

yes so am i.. sick of people [the media] picking on easy targets like the sick and disabled people. not all people out of work are cheats.. they are the minority..

start picking on the rich for a change..and the tax cheats.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dispatches is renowned for producing sensationalist, one-sided BS. I think a lot of people realise this.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Even the advert for the programme is a bit misleading, when the woman says 'the money/your money will be in your account by tomorrow' It doesn't work like that does it?, well not for me anyway, for example when I sign on, on say a Tuesday and the money is only in my account by Friday.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Yes, channel 4 are always making propaganda for the coalition aren't they? :confused:

And benefits cheats don't cost any of us any money at all.

The strange parallel world that is DS continues to spin.
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

And narrated by Jimmy Carr.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the progamme trailer and title is a bit misleading. I think this is more of an investigation into how some Jobcentre's dont do the job properly and dont check the jobseekers paperwork when they sign on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Even the advert for the programme is a bit misleading, when the woman says 'the money/your money will be in your account by tomorrow' It doesn't work like that does it?, well not for me anyway, for example when I sign on, on say a Tuesday and the money is only in my account by Friday.

This will be interesting to see what this refers to in tonights programme. I am intrigued about people putting down on their forms and they're not being checked i.e. a shopping list with Semi skimmed milk as a job hunting activity? This is going to be funny....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes so am i.. sick of people [the media] picking on easy targets like the sick and disabled people. not all people out of work are cheats.. they are the minority.

I agree with you but it's the cheats they are focusing on not the sick and disabled or genuine cases. Benefits are supposed to support the disadvantaged in our society not provide a lifestyle for those too lazy or devious to support themselves, or as a top-up for an undeclared income.

One of the problem with some benefit claimants it's they tar themselves with the same brush and I don't now why they think that they are being targeted. If the cheats and scroungers were weeded out they'd be less suspicion around genuine claimants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the progamme trailer and title is a bit misleading. I think this is more of an investigation into how some Jobcentre's dont do the job properly and dont check the jobseekers paperwork when they sign on.

Yes the advert is confusing.

I'm hoping it will focus on the Job Center workers rather than benefit claimants.

Yes, looks like it IS focusing on the Job Center.
  • Options
    pognog2pognog2 Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I know that some job centres are crap but this has to be a set up cause nobody would risk a shopping list being noticed and their dole being stopped - the job centre would not take 'oh I'm working for channel 4' as an excuse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It was a Bank Holiday.

The Job Center boss looks a lot like the woman from Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL What a farce. Someone getting their money stopped because they found an internship.

Yet the Job Center boss says it would have been OK if the company had gotten in touch with them.
    :rolleyes:

Yet all the job center staff had to do was get in touch with the company first.

Too many 'Job's Worths' at the job center.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So not one trick yet then?.
  • Options
    rachymacrachymac Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a Bank Holiday.

The Job Center boss looks a lot like the woman from Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix.

She totally does!!

The Job Centre annoys me - I got offered a job earlier in the summer as a Classroom Assistant, so it doesn't start until the very end of August. I filled this into my JobSeekers book, with the date that I start, and tried to hand it in, but was told I wouldn't be paid right up until I start cos it wasn't for several weeks (Yeah, I'm applying for teaching and schools-based assistant jobs, they don't tend to start til the end of the summer!) so I'd have to keep signing on. So now I have to keep looking for work and filling it into my booklet even though I *have* a job!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She doesn't even know that the Jobs with the Job Center are not on the Job Center site. :rolleyes:

I bet she has lots of plates on her walls with cats on them.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She just doesn't have a clue. How the hell she got the job of been in charge of the DWP is beyond me.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rachymac wrote: »
    She totally does!!

The Job Centre annoys me - I got offered a job earlier in the summer as a Classroom Assistant, so it doesn't start until the very end of August. I filled this into my JobSeekers book, with the date that I start, and tried to hand it in, but was told I wouldn't be paid right up until I start cos it wasn't for several weeks (Yeah, I'm applying for teaching and schools-based assistant jobs, they don't tend to start til the end of the summer!) so I'd have to keep signing on. So now I have to keep looking for work and filling it into my booklet even though I *have* a job!

I know my local job centre don't have a clue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it was good to see that benefit claimants were not being demonised.

It was all true about the Job Center though, the last place you want to go to get a job.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably don't want people on benefits, heaven forbid, applying for the good jobs offered on the Civil Service website :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol here's some archive printouts of jobs advertised in January
    what a total Shambles DWP Job Centre are
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rossi_dr wrote: »
    lol here's some archive printouts of jobs advertised in January
    what a total Shambles DWP Job Centre are

It was like a scene from 'The Thick of It'.
  • Options
    shockedonionshockedonion Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    People who have been on benefits should be the preferred choice to work in the benefits office since they have the experience.