Options

Firefox and Flash Player

Hi

I usually use Firefox to browse the Internet although I also have Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Last Wednesday I downloaded the latest version of Flash Player to m PC.

Today I downloaded the latest version of Firefox to my PC. Unfortunately FLASH PLAYER is now not working in Firefox.

How do I get around this problem?

Is there any way of getting round it? DO I have to install an earlier version of FLash Player - how do I do that?

Regards

Comments

• Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried uninstalling Flash for Firefox and then reinstalling it?
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today I have suddenly started getting error messages which say
    Adobe Flash Player 11.4 r402 has stopped working
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Close program
    Apparently this something to do with "Data Execution Prevention".

The only change I have made in the last 24 hours is the experimental installation of the Pale Moon browser for the first time but this is happening whilst using Firefox.

I am using Vista Home Premium.

I have looked into the Microsoft Help page for "What is Data Execution Prevention?" and it says that I can turn off DEP for an individual program but I need to specify the .exe file involved, and I cannot find one for Flash. Is this a good idea anyway?

Any suggestions folks?
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try the latest version:

Flash Player 11.4.402.278 (Non-IE) http://filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox/

Flash Player 11.4.402.278 (IE) http://filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

I have DEP forced enabled for ALL programmes, using EMET, and have no issue with Flash.

The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458544
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tried to install the .278 version both from your Non-IE link above and from within the Firefox Plug-Ins update page in the Add-Ons Manager and whilst I "Installed" it from your link it is still showing as .265 in the plugins list and downloading via the update page produces an installation file "install_flashplayer11x32_mssa_aih.exe" but running it seems to do nothing.

I have tried a PC restart but no change.

Edit: I am using the 15.0.1 Firefox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use the flash unistaller app from the Adode web site then reinstall Flash Player 11.4.402.278 (Non-IE).
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also had to reinstall flash yesterday as the day before youtube just stopped working.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Use the flash unistaller app from the Adode web site then reinstall Flash Player 11.4.402.278 (Non-IE).
    I have gone right through that (including clearing out the four folders specified) and reinstalled from the Non-IE file. It gave every impression of installing, but when I check (either with http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html or Plug-Ins Manager) it is not there (even after a Firefox restart).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might like to try this test and report the results back here:

In Firefox, go to http://www.tacobelluk.co.uk
    There should be an animated bell logo near the top left corner which emits a "dong" sound when the mouse is drifted over it. Right-clicking it should bring up a context menu, the last line of which says which version of Adobe Flash Player you have installed.

The same test can be done on any other web site that you know uses Flash if you prefer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259:

"You need to upgrade your Flash Player." all over the place with that site. Same in various places with BBC News pages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so it seems to think there's an old version installed.

In Control Panel, go into the option which allows you to uninstall programs. The method of accessing this varies depending on how you got it configured so I can't give precise details. Having got in there, uninstall every version of Adobe Flash Player that's listed.

Then reboot. Probably unnecessary but possibly useful.

Then using Firefox, visit http://www.adobe.com, download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, and run the downloaded installation file. Be sure to untick anything unwanted such as McAfee anti-virus, Yahoo toolbar and other junkware.

If that doesn't make it behave itself, let's hope someone with more knowledge can help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    OK, so it seems to think there's an old version installed.

In Control Panel, go into the option which allows you to uninstall programs. The method of accessing this varies depending on how you got it configured so I can't give precise details. Having got in there, uninstall every version of Adobe Flash Player that's listed.

Then reboot. Probably unnecessary but possibly useful.

Then using Firefox, visit http://www.adobe.com, download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, and run the downloaded installation file. Be sure to untick anything unwanted such as McAfee anti-virus, Yahoo toolbar and other junkware.

If that doesn't make it behave itself, let's hope someone with more knowledge can help.
    I have already been right through that route twice (except that I used the Adobe Uninstaller as desribed by Annie and the install file which she recommended) and it is still not showing up in Firefox or Pale Moon.

The only version which shows when I go to Control Panel is the one I have just installed (except it is invisible to the browsers).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Flash show up in Add/Remove programs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Flash show up in Add/Remove programs?
    Yes, the version I have just "Installed".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    I have already been right through that route twice (except that I used the Adobe Uninstaller as desribed by Annie and the install file which she recommended) and it is still not showing up in Firefox or Pale Moon.

The only version which shows when I go to Control Panel is the one I have just installed (except it is invisible to the browsers).
    Annie definitely knows what she's talking about, but it might be worth trying it the ways I suggested just in case there's some subtle difference. Nothing to lose, maybe it'll work.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a couple of things have been fixed in todays release of flash player
    · Some FLV video content does not play in Flash Player on Windows (3187569)
    · Only right side audio playing in Flash Player based apps in Firefox on Windows(3289279)

not had a flash glitch myself for a while ... so am thinking some soft of security software might be getting in way .. firewalls perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Yes, the version I have just "Installed".

The only thing I can think of is the IE version is installed and not the non-IE one that Firefox etc... needs :confused:

One way to check is to install both versions then you'll be sure that you have the right one installed :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I can think of is the IE version is installed and not the non-IE one that Firefox etc... needs :confused:

One way to check is to install both versions then you'll be sure that you have the right one installed :)
    Yes, that was it :o. Somehow I had picked up the "ax" version which is for IE. It seems to be working now.

Now to wait and see if the original problem recurs.

Yet again, thanks Annie. We oldies need someone like you about to sort this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finger crossed it's fixed :)

BTW, I'm not as young as you may think :eek: :D :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I am well on the way to 70! Anyway, fingers and anything else I can find well and truly crossed.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back on .265 here, as the .278 just constantly hung FF for me, tried allsorts to get it working, had to get the previous .265 version (11.4.402.265 (Non-IE) from here :-

http://www.oldapps.com/flash_player.php

Had to uninstall the .278 from windows first (Programs & Features in the Control Panel), before i could get the older .265 version.