Options

Freesat getting left behind...

spacepostmanspacepostman Posts: 774
Forum Member
✭✭
What a shame Freesat is starting to turnout a bit of a disappointment.

Despite having superior technology to YouView and still no sight of any onDemand except BBC iplayer lite* for most viewers despite years of promise, tons of decent channels hidden as they aren't tempted onto the FreeSat EPG and now talk of it being abandoned except for a few high-spec boxes and their new Freetime venture. Their advertising seems to have stopped all together after Christmas too.

Virgin Media's onDemand even without a Tivo box is probably the best I've seen and YouView's has got pretty much everything they could get on time for launch which shocked me. http://www.youview.com/features/on-demand/

Have they all fallen asleep at FreeSat HQ?

Will 4OD and Demand 5 ever be added? and http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1660276 < nothing is moving. Freesat is going to get left behind.

Comments

• Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people so obsessed with i-this and i-that?

With a PVR, Freesat is a superb platform. Masses of material to watch and the PVR functionality means that you can keep a buffer in case there is the odd period with nothing in which you are interested. And there are always DVD's if there is the something you desperately want to see and doesn't come up in transmissions.

It's as if every time some new source comes up people suddenly become dissatisfied with something with which they were perfectly happy, before.
  • Options
    es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Will 4OD and Demand 5 ever be added? and http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1660276 < nothing is moving. Freesat is going to get left behind.

I got the impression that 4OD and Demand 5 was coming to all freesat HD TVs/boxes. (not just <freetime>)

http://www.freesat.co.uk/files/7713/3346/3548/Freesat_Olympics_announcement_FINAL.pdf

thus purchased my Samsung TV, only to find that BBC iplayer was the only On Demand service.

Then Desiree advert sugested that freesat was getting a new EPG called <freetime> with no mention of a new box needed - Now the advert has in the small text near the end of the advert that a <freetime> freesat+ box is required.

Luckily, with my Samsung TV - it has ITV player app (including a much improved BBC iplayer app, compared to 901) and many more On demand features.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member

It's doing exactly what it was supposed to - if you want something else, then get something else?.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's doing exactly what it was supposed to - if you want something else, then get something else?.
    Precisely. These types of thread are just laughable tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it? I hadn't noticed.
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, our house is delighted with Freesat, plenty to watch/record through a PVR, sometimes there is too much on at any one time and nothing on at others, but thats down to broadcasters and schedules. Freesat could probably promote itself a little more though, a lot of people confuse it with Freeview, even when family/friends come round they look bemused when i explain we don't have Subscription TV. :D:D
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freesat is doing exactly what it was designed to do, the i services are not the be all and end all, far from it. They are an add-on, not the main dish.
  • Options
    blisteringblueblisteringblue Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Freesat+ and lovefilm on-line is plenty for us to watch for the mighty sum of £4.99 a month.

I think all the people who think freesat a disappointment are trying to compare it to $ky !! You cannot do this, $ky is a premium subscription service. Yes its better but you have to pay to watch it.

To be honest all the catch up services on PVRs are a little limited. We do all out catch up TV via a PS3 console if you have one (and our love film too) as the clients are a little more advanced. There you already have 4OD too, its just Demand 5 you are missing and that's no great loss is it.

However at the end of the day, you've got a Freesat PVR just record the shows you want and you won't need catchup TV.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freesat+ and lovefilm on-line is plenty for us to watch for the mighty sum of £4.99 a month.

Ditto. As it is now I don't have time to watch all that might be of interest to me.
  • Options
    spacepostmanspacepostman Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditto. As it is now I don't have time to watch all that might be of interest to me.

You can watch Freesat+ online?!
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can watch Freesat+ online?!

Who wants to watch an epg online :confused: Bit like watching paint dry.
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only just noticed this thread, I have been to busy watching FREESAT,I find plenty too watch and record:)
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, our house is delighted with Freesat, plenty to watch/record through a PVR, sometimes there is too much on at any one time and nothing on at others, but thats down to broadcasters and schedules. Freesat could probably promote itself a little more though, a lot of people confuse it with Freeview, even when family/friends come round they look bemused when i explain we don't have Subscription TV. :D:D

Not much to confuse really, as Freesat was set up as an alternative for those that cannot get Freeview, so FV from space with in theory, a few less channels, but it does have more minor/low interest / shopping channels, Why are they surprised? Freeview is not subscription either, and they are similar
  • Options
    ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You clearly know very little about the platform and how success is measured. Comparing with Sky and Virgin Media is just laughable, and even the comparison with YouView isn't fair given the massive financial differences between them. If you want more, than you are just going to have to pay for it!
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think all the people who think freesat a disappointment are trying to compare it to $ky !! You cannot do this, $ky is a premium subscription service. Yes its better but you have to pay to watch it.

To be honest all the catch up services on PVRs are a little limited. We do all out catch up TV via a PS3 console if you have one (and our love film too) as the clients are a little more advanced. There you already have 4OD too, its just Demand 5 you are missing and that's no great loss is it.

However at the end of the day, you've got a Freesat PVR just record the shows you want and you won't need catchup TV.

The premium service is the BBC & ITV, and with the other 3 channels they make better viewing than all the sky second rate viewing put together. When I had sky it took up less than 5% of my viewing.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humid wrote: »
    The premium service is the BBC & ITV, and with the other 3 channels they make better viewing than all the sky second rate viewing put together. When I had sky it took up less than 5% of my viewing.

Horses for courses, whilst we do watch the BBC, and even ITV sometimes, most of our viewing seems to be the Documentary channels that are part of the EE package on Sky, sadly Freesat has nothing to challenge Sky with on this front, the rest of FS, much like FV is just the main BBC/ITV/C5/C4 offerings and some shopping channels thrown in
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tons of decent channels hidden as they aren't tempted onto the FreeSat EPG
    Such as:confused:?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really surprised the Travel Channel hasn't been added, especially since it was sold to Scripps nearly a year ago. They've added a lot of new programmes recently from Scripps' US channels but still have no plans to join Freesat.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really surprised the Travel Channel hasn't been added, especially since it was sold to Scripps nearly a year ago. They've added a lot of new programmes recently from Scripps' US channels but still have no plans to join Freesat.
    Maybe a few more emails from DS posters to get them to review the situation might help. It's probably the only FTA sat channel not on Freesat that would be of value.

Other than that we are reliant on encrypted channels changing their established business model to get anything else decent.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't they due to have a revamp sometime soon (i.e. go widescreen for programmes available in ws), maybe they'll join Freesat then?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Aren't they due to have a revamp sometime soon (i.e. go widescreen for programmes available in ws), maybe they'll join Freesat then?
    There was mention of them launching a HD channel for the UK. They already have it in some other countries.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hold on, how can freesat be being left behind - its just gained PickTv, Challenge, and Sky News.

i dont see Freesat as a fall back service for those in Freeview Lite zones or with just plain poor Freeview reception. I think Freesat is now the better service to have, regardless. I would hate to go back to just having Freeview and all that means, reception wise - thats if we wanted to get all the channels, or make do with FreeviewLite.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    hold on, how can freesat be being left behind - its just gained PickTv, Challenge, and Sky News.

i dont see Freesat as a fall back service for those in Freeview Lite zones or with just plain poor Freeview reception. I think Freesat is now the better service to have, regardless. I would hate to go back to just having Freeview and all that means, reception wise - thats if we wanted to get all the channels, or make do with FreeviewLite.

If you know how to hack the Freesat box using the Tuning Menu then you can add other channels to your list that are FTV (Free-To-View) such as Pick TV+, etc, etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you know how to hack the Freesat box using the Tuning Menu then you can add other channels to your list that are FTV (Free-To-View) such as Pick TV+, etc, etc

Do you mean by using the any other sat manual tuner for 28,2
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your usual rubbish post please get your facts right for a change - Pick TV is NOT FTV it is FTA (so it can be added to some freesat boxes). FTV channels cannot be added to freesat boxes they do not have the means to read a Sky card and decrypt FTV channels.