Options

Emily Davison/Suffragettes - 100 years on.

2»

Comments

• Options
    maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an interesting take (and probably the correct one).

The documentary is on tonight at 8pm! :)
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then you suspect wrong, no-one was to blame for that but herself. I'm sure the last thing the jockey wanted was to kill someone, put himself in hospital and not finish the race.

Not necessarily. How much experience would the jockey have in hitting people? Perhaps he expected her to be brushed aside, both physically and morally, from his position as rider of the King's horse.
    I'm suggesting all this in a time where the suffragettes were seen as a nuisance and a jockey such as he may have had a sense of entitlement which informed a decision not to bother avoiding her.
    Perhaps this is part of the reason why he killed himself later.

All of the above is just my supposition of course.
  • Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Not necessarily. How much experience would the jockey have in hitting people? Perhaps he expected her to be brushed aside, both physically and morally, from his position as rider of the King's horse.
    I'm suggesting all this in a time where the suffragettes were seen as a nuisance and a jockey such as he may have had a sense of entitlement which informed a decision not to bother avoiding her.
    Perhaps this is part of the reason why he killed himself later.

All of the above is just my supposition of course.

Do you mean he would have had a sense of entitlement about having to work for a living while she lived a cushy life. Strange how people try blaming people other than the person who walked in front of the horse for it happening.
  • Options
    spubbbbaspubbbba Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    BTW, I remember reading that the word "Suffragette" was coined by a tabloid of the day as a way of running down the cause of women's suffrage. Campaigners were "suffragists" but "-gettes" was thought to be more demeaning, in the same way as it could be used to day: "priest-ettes" "doctor-ettes" "fireman-ette". Well, kind of.

Was it not attributed to a certain section of the suffrage movement who started adopting more radical tactics?
    It’s interesting that the suffragettes are given the credit for women having the vote. But it’s debatable if these tactics did more harm than good, whilst it got attention it also played into the hands of their detractors. One of the arguments against allowing women to vote was that they were too emotional and hysterical to decide such important matters as who would run the country.

I’m always disappointed that the fact that a lot of men couldn’t vote at that time is overlooked. Them being granted the right was seen as compensation for conscription.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Either that or they believed that conscripting anyone at all is an unjustifiable policy

Unlikely as they took time out from their noble cause to take part in the white feather campaign.
    Handing white feathers as a sign of cowardice to any young men they came across who weren't in uniform.
    Charming people.:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Peaceful protest would have been ignored, the photos of force- feeding were horrific. The programme came to the conclusion that she was trying to attach a votes for women scarf to the horses bridle. A letter sent to her in hospital and signed an Englishman was extremely
    nasty.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    spubbbba wrote: »
    Was it not attributed to a certain section of the suffrage movement who started adopting more radical tactics?
    It’s interesting that the suffragettes are given the credit for women having the vote. But it’s debatable if these tactics did more harm than good, whilst it got attention it also played into the hands of their detractors. One of the arguments against allowing women to vote was that they were too emotional and hysterical to decide such important matters as who would run the country.

I’m always disappointed that the fact that a lot of men couldn’t vote at that time is overlooked. Them being granted the right was seen as compensation for conscription.

Is correct. The well known shot of a woman struggling with a Bobby while chained to railings never mentions that the Bobby didn't have the vote either.