Options

Htc One - Wow! (merged)

Comments

• Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    HTC one mini I think is going be popular with a lot of people only slightly bigger than say something like the iPhone and about same size as S4 mini but packing solid features/hardware like boomsound ultrapixel 720p screen and android 4.2.2 with sense 5. HTC one Max I think is going to go over the limit where it either won't fit in a trousers/jeans pocket or you will look stupid with it next to your ear. The note 2 already pushes it at 5.5 inch. It may have the new snapdragon 800 but like the note 3 I can never see myself carrying one as daily phone. But it is good to see that HTC like Samsung are trying to make a phone for all types of people.

Indeed.

I'm rather tempted by the HTC One just now.

I cracked the back of my Nexus 4 while in Crete in June. Left it under direct sunlight pumping out 40 degree heat then stupidly went under an air con unit while using the phone. Back just shattered!!

Then earlier at work about 2 hours ago, i dropped it from a good height and put a massive dent in the side twisting the sim card holder. Keeps coming up insert sim now :mad:

So new phone it is this week!!
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Indeed.

I cracked the back of my Nexus 4 while in Crete in June. Left it under direct sunlight pumping out 40 degree heat then stupidly went under an air con unit while using the phone. Back just shattered!!

Then earlier at work about 2 hours ago, i dropped it from a good height and put a massive dent in the side twisting the sim card holder. Keeps coming up insert sim now :mad:

Ouch unlucky man that isn't good at all. I find the HTC one to be a very good and reliable device. hope you didn't get you hand cut when the glass shattered.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed.

Good grief! didn't think that many things could happen to a phone in a short space of time!

Don't fancy an S4? I know you were keen on the S3.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Indeed.

Great phone. Get it, you won't regret it. Well at least not until the new iPhone comes out ;) <runs away>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Three's Twitter account the testing of the 4.2.2 HTC one update has been completed this afternoon. They apparently are just waiting for HTC to it roll out if they telling the truth this time we could be getting later today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Ouch unlucky man that isn't good at all. I find the HTC one to be a very good and reliable device. hope you didn't get you hand cut when the glass shattered.

Was a bit annoying!! Nah, it shattered but its still intact. No glass fell out.
    slick1two wrote: »
    Good grief! didn't think that many things could happen to a phone in a short space of time!

Don't fancy an S4? I know you were keen on the S3.

Yeah! Been rather unlucky to be honest :(

Hmm not sure about the S4. Will be going into town tomorrow so will have a look.
    Great phone. Get it, you won't regret it. Well at least not until the new iPhone comes out ;) <runs away>

Haha! :p

Gonna have a play tomorrow and see what i think :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    On Three just downloading the 4.2.2 update finally, just has 4.3 is announced....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.Metcalfe wrote: »
    On Three just downloading the 4.2.2 update finally, just has 4.3 is announced....

I got on Tuesday I probably should of posted that. I doubt we will see 4.3 in the near future.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very little of note in 4.3 may as well go straight to 5 key lime pie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just updated to 4.2 2 on three. Not too much new a few tweaks here and there. Feels a bit quicker will have a proper play tomorrow.
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any other One owners noticed battery life has improved since the last software update?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bampsam wrote: »
    Any other One owners noticed battery life has improved since the last software update?

Battery seems about the same I would say.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HTC One Mini goes on pre-order in the UK.

Available for £370/£380 from various retailers.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_mini_goes_on_preorder_in_the_uk_costs_370-news-6496.php
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe good news for HTC.

A Nokia patent spat in Germany about the use of VP8 codec(used by Youtube and for WebM) was won by HTC.
    I say 'maybe' as it probably costs HTC financially dear yet again, Nokia choosing to attack open standards via HTC and not Google.

http://blog.webmproject.org/2013/08/good-news-from-germany.html?m=0
  • Options
    kjh84kjh84 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got my upgrade today. Swore i'd never go back to HTC but as soon as i saw the advert for it, i knew i was going to get one.

Such a brilliant phone, although it's strange not having an SD Card Slot :)
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Installed 4.2 about a week ago and I finally have some of the features I have badly missed that I have had in IOS for years.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Good god for years what are those then
  • Options
    JimallJimall Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Jimall wrote: »
    Anyway. I got my HTC One last Wednesday! It seems like an awesome phone so far. However, during phone calls I've had a number of different people tell me that I go quiet every so often and they can't hear me... it's as if I'm moving the phone away from me. The people I've spoken to have been on Vodafone, O2 and a BT Landline - I can't see this being a problem with their phone/network but rather mine (it never done it on my previous phone). I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this with their HTC One?.

After three phones with exactly the same problem I've decided to ditch the HTC One and go back to my trusty Motorola Atrix.

Seems like many people are having issues with the phones microphone. Be aware if you're thinking of getting one of these devices.
  • Options
    hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Installed 4.2 about a week ago and I finally have some of the features I have badly missed that I have had in IOS for years.
    Stuff that doesn't involve calling/texting/messaging? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What features would those be then? 4.2 adds features that I certainly don't have on my version of iOS6.1...
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    What features would those be then? 4.2 adds features that I certainly don't have on my version of iOS6.1...

1. Global display magnification - on IOS this is double tap with 3 fingers, on Android 4.2 it is triple tap with one finger. As someone for whom reading glasses are marginally needed it makes all the difference, saves me getting my glasses out.

2. Ability to lend someone my phone to use an app without them being able to access my private stuff e.g. email. On IOS this is done through Guided Access and a triple tap of the Home button. On Android 4.2 it is done through user accounts. And yes, I know there are 3rd party apps that can do the same job, but it's not part of the O/S and is a bit of a pfaff as a result.

3. Percentage battery display on status bar. This might seem trivial but my experience of the HTC One is that it is forever flattening the battery. This is probably down to the different way that Android multitasks, but all I know is that I inadvertently flatten my battery several times a week with the HTC - that hasn't happened to me once in nearly a year of the iP5. It is fine in standby or doing light stuff but as soon as I do anything serious it seems to run down quickly and a digital indicator gives me a better chance of noticing it so I can kill the offending app. Oh the joys of Android device management !
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You had the HTC One Mini and now it's here, the HTC One Max exists. The phone to rival Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Features:

Android 4.3 JB skinned with HTC Sense 5.5
    5.9inch screen
    1080p display
    Snapdragon 800 chipset
    Quad-core 2.3GHz Krait 400 processor/Adreno 330 graphics
    2GB RAM
    4MP UltraPixel camera with OIS
    16GB expandable storage
    3300mAh battery

Set to be released in September. I can't imagine how well this will sell but it does seem like a worthy rival and a beast of a phone.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_max_shows_its_face_for_the_first_time_59_display_in_tow-news-6516.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1. Global display magnification - on IOS this is double tap with 3 fingers, on Android 4.2 it is triple tap with one finger. As someone for whom reading glasses are marginally needed it makes all the difference, saves me getting my glasses out.

2. Ability to lend someone my phone to use an app without them being able to access my private stuff e.g. email. On IOS this is done through Guided Access and a triple tap of the Home button. On Android 4.2 it is done through user accounts. And yes, I know there are 3rd party apps that can do the same job, but it's not part of the O/S and is a bit of a pfaff as a result.

3. Percentage battery display on status bar. This might seem trivial but my experience of the HTC One is that it is forever flattening the battery. This is probably down to the different way that Android multitasks, but all I know is that I inadvertently flatten my battery several times a week with the HTC - that hasn't happened to me once in nearly a year of the iP5. It is fine in standby or doing light stuff but as soon as I do anything serious it seems to run down quickly and a digital indicator gives me a better chance of noticing it so I can kill the offending app. Oh the joys of Android device management !

I bet you have really missed those features :rolleyes:

I've always had percentage on my battery on every android phone, sometimes need to enable it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    You had the HTC One Mini and now it's here, the HTC One Max exists. The phone to rival Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Features:

Android 4.3 JB skinned with HTC Sense 5.5
    5.9inch screen
    1080p display
    Snapdragon 800 chipset
    Quad-core 2.3GHz Krait 400 processor/Adreno 330 graphics
    2GB RAM
    4MP UltraPixel camera with OIS
    16GB expandable storage
    3300mAh battery

Set to be released in September. I can't imagine how well this will sell but it does seem like a worthy rival and a beast of a phone.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_max_shows_its_face_for_the_first_time_59_display_in_tow-news-6516.php

Given how popular the note's are it may do very well, but given how well HTC's in general seem to be selling maybe not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    HTC one in slilver at amazon is only £439.60 sim free, cheapest i've seen else where is £479.

Linky.

It is a amazing phone at a good price, I was lucky enough to pick a Sim Locked one up for £250 from EE on PAYG, but managed to unlock it.