Options

Why does the new day begin at Midnight?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
I've never really understood this, purely from a numerical standpoint it probably makes sense, and when you think that historically before the advent of electricity and modern technology most people would be well and truly gone to bed before it got that late into the night, but now modern lifestyles are such that it is at the very least just after most peoples bedtimes and huge swathes of us don't end our day until deep in the small hours. So is it really logical for us to say as a modern society that Midnight will mark the start of a new day?

Talk radio hosts talk about "this time in the morning" and "later" referring to what is really the next day, if you are up listening to that, the irony is, you are very much still in what they are now calling the previous day. Who gets up at Midnight or 1am?

The day boundary could be more like 6am, or perhaps 3am.

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I've never really understood this, purely from a numerical standpoint it probably makes sense, and when you think that historically before the advent of electricity and modern technology most people would be well and truly gone to bed before it got that late into the night, but now modern lifestyles are such that it is at the very least just after most peoples bedtimes and huge swathes of us don't end our day until deep in the small hours. So is it really logical for us to say as a modern society that Midnight will mark the start of a new day?

Talk radio hosts talk about "this time in the morning" and "later" referring to what is really the next day, if you are up listening to that, the irony is, you are very much still in what they are now calling the previous day. Who gets up at Midnight or 1am?

I agree with 6am being the starting point for a new day. It seems bonkers to start saying good morning at 1 minute past midnight when it is quite clearly pitch black outside. I guess it's just another one of those archaic conventions that's stuck around.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hopefully zx50 will be along soon, he's usually good with deep thinking threads like this.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    The sun disappears at sunset but it doesn't stop 'going down' until midnight GMT for UK peeps.

So that transitional moment when the sun starts to 'come up' again (notwithstanding we can't actually see it until it pops above the horizon at sunrise) is a sensible starting point for the new day (and ending point for the old day).
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Strewth! I wouldn't fancy celebrating the New Year at 3am or 6am!

Presumably midday would be 3pm or 6pm which would really screw up my "elevenses"!

Midday was generally when the sun was at it's highest point, and all other times were built around that.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The roman day started at noon .... It is easy to detect this .....
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,631
    Forum Member
    Early morning talk radio hosts? ;)
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    The roman day started at noon .... It is easy to detect this .....

Yup ... there have been a number of different starts to the day. I should have used the present tense in my last sentence ...

"Midday is generally when the sun is at it's highest point, and all other times are built around that."

That's why the new day begins at midnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about Burlington Bertie? His day starts at 10:30. :D
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the old one ends before midnight?
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes sense really, astrologically-speaking..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Astrologically speaking nothing makes sense. Did you mean astronomically?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Astologically speaking nothing makes sense. Did you mean astronomically?

:D:D
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What is a day?
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has to start some time.

Interesting fact. If you are lost somewhere in the UK, during the day, and are wearing an analogue watch, position your wrist (with the watch) so that the hour hand points in the direction of the sun and then the bisecting angle between this direction and 12 o'clock points due South.
    This only works if your watch is accurate. Also, for BST, 1 o'clock is the time of maximum height for the sun so take the bisector between the hour hand and 1 o'clock.