Options

True Detective (UK Pace) - 22nd Feb - Sky Atlantic

Comments

• Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an awesome show. Not so much the crimes themselves, the procedurals or the double act of Rust and Marty, but for the respective actors themselves. Both have always been great actors who haven't, in MM's case, had much chance to show it for the last ten years or so, and in WH's case, been too willing to play so many different types of characters that in some ways it's held him back. MM, particularly, is incredible in this, and Emmy and Globes or whathaveyou must surely follow.
    srhDS wrote: »
    I don't think it's trying to be clever or twisty, at least I hope it's not. I hope it's not going have a twist at the end
    Agreed. At a certain point in ep. 4,
    it occured to me that I wouldn't be surprised if Rust ended up being the killer. He's on record (frequently) as basically hating humanity and what we are, what we've become etc, and the killing(s) are ritualistic (possibly sacrificial?) in nature, with a clear intent, meaning and message behind them. Rust appears to be de-sensitised to the depths human behaviour will lead to, maybe even becoming de-humanised in the process. Once I got that idea in my head, I kept seeing the 2012 Rust as being a prisoner, what with the boiler suit he appears to be wearing.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow............just wow

i enjoyed the first 3 but episode 4 was just amazing and up there with the best TV i have ever seen in my life.

such great directing, the whole crackhouse scenes were so nerve wracking

brilliant acting from 2 leads too dealing with divorce and drugs respectively.

cannot wait for episode 5 now.
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    come on guys, please take the discussion of the last few episodes to the US thread.

As for the character development etc, I don't see that as an issue so far. It's an eight episode story. I'm not expecting Sopranos style 7 seven character growth.
    I don't think this is going to be up there with Sopranos, GoT, Breaking Bad etc and I don't think it's trying to be. It's telling a story in eight episodes, a bit like a long movie.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    I loved it too.

It seems though that some people feel that they could take someone elses stories and scripts and improve upon them. They seem to think that the writers have not bothered to think of a "cleverer" way of developing a story.

The wrtiters of this series presumably wrote the whole story and presented it to the channel who were happy to commission the tv series.
    Some posters here assume the TV studios clueless as are the writers and therefore just put up with bad writing.

Strange how these imcompetents manage to hold down a job and keep a studio afloat.

If I watch a popular and critically praised prog and find that my views are not aligned to the otherwise near universal praise, my first thought is - "oh well , just not my cup of tea"
    I am not arrogant enough to assume that everyone else is stupid or unintelligent enough to not spot rubbish when they see it.

I never said that. As I said, it was right up my alley, I loved the slow pace, I loved the acting. I never said anyone was unintelligent for liking it.

Perhaps it deserved more than 8 episodes, perhaps it could've done without the MacGuffins which became character development voids, or taken the time to tie them up. Perhaps it could've done without everything being a plot convenience. And it deserved a much better ending. :D
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    come on guys, please take the discussion of the last few episodes to the US thread.

As for the character development etc, I don't see that as an issue so far. It's an eight episode story. I'm not expecting Sopranos style 7 seven character growth.
    I don't think this is going to be up there with Sopranos, GoT, Breaking Bad etc and I don't think it's trying to be. It's telling a story in eight episodes, a bit like a long movie.

Sorry. :(

So Ginger episode? Again great acting, great cinematography, biker gang that deserves to be on America's Dumbest Criminals... :D

I've found the other thread now, sorry everyone, I didn't know there was one. Apologies and enjoy the rest of the series. :)
  • Options
    Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't you just feel sorry for Ginger? I did.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was laughing at him getting his arse kicked by Rust
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "This is a world where nothing is solved" says Rust in episode 5."you make it too complicated".
    Make a note of that in terms of episode 8 !
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    "This is a world where nothing is solved" says Rust in episode 5."you make it too complicated".
    Make a note of that in terms of episode 8 !

Henry this thread is for the show being shown in the UK.
    We only just watched episode 4 last night you know.
    I appreciate your enthusiasm about the show (my daughter had watched it all and is desperate for us to 'chat' about it) but I do not want to know even a little thing like that please :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The episode was a bit of a let down after last weeks ending. Well the first part until the came out with the kids was good but after that it lost it's mojo for the rest of the episode imo.
  • Options
    pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The episode was a bit of a let down after last weeks ending. Well the first part until the came out with the kids was good but after that it lost it's mojo for the rest of the episode imo.

I thought it was the best episode yet. The left turn with the investigation suddenly becoming about Rust was great. What was he up to between 2002-2010?
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pubey wrote: »
    I thought it was the best episode yet. The left turn with the investigation suddenly becoming about Rust was great. What was he up to between 2002-2010?

I agree. In what way did the show lose its mojo? Thought this episode was great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats weird.
    Who went in and deleted my other post here?
    And why?
    The one in response to summer breeze about the Rust comment being relevant to the text etc..., and correcting fact last nights episode was no 5,not no 4.
    And her response about being out of the country.

Who would want to or have the right to delete that?
    It seems an odd thing to select to delete, no different from any other exchange and clearly stating positions about Rust discussing this as a world where nothing is solved,whilst being a detective whose profession is based on solving things.

Its all relevant to the episode.
    Its disturbing that some mysterious person comes in to manage opinion that appears harmless.
    I better make a copy of this post!

The episode was 5,not 4.
    Summer breeze said she wasnt in the country.
    Rusts comment was relevant to the themes behind the series,a contradiction that may be relevant later, and which is certainly relevant to the story of a detective trying to solve cases.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I noticed yours and then my post got deleted too.
    It is a mystery to me.
    Only a true detective will be able to solve the crime of the disappearing posts :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh good. Im glad you noticed too.
    Is that usual,I wonder? Ive never seen it done before.

Besides which, the series is constantly moving back and forth in the narrative and this is one example of it moving into future time, a harbinger. The case they thought was solved has not been solved. And can it be solved when Rust has so little faith in the world as a place where things are solved or finished.....

Its so crucial as they start to suggest this thematically. There is an indication of the ending in the beginning. Time is not linear and neither is the series. Thats the whole point. Its all over Rusts ramblings!

Do we look for conspiracy or ignorance in this action where posts get deleted without a word? Its a form of censorship, whatever it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how many times do we have to ask for people to stop discussing the end of this show? There is a US thread for that discussion.
    I don't want to know the relevance of Rust's statements in ep 5 regarding the over all story until I've seen the overall story.
    Do people not know what UK Pace means? :confused:

As for this episode, the "shoot out" was quite intersting.
    And was Rust continuing to investigate the cult on his own? Is that why he disappearred for so long? could explain why he was seen at the sites.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm about 2 or 3 episodes behind atm. What I was wondering is why are they being interviewed and asked to go over the case? Is the killer back?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I'm about 2 or 3 episodes behind atm. What I was wondering is why are they being interviewed and asked to go over the case? Is the killer back?

There is a new murder which has some similarities (I'm sure this was mentioned in episode one) and Rust wants to see the file.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a new murder which has some similarities (I'm sure this was mentioned in episode one) and Rust wants to see the file.

Thanks, must have missed that. I was wondering why they were being interviewed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Oh good. Im glad you noticed too.
    Is that usual,I wonder? Ive never seen it done before.

Besides which, the series is constantly moving back and forth in the narrative and this is one example of it moving into future time, a harbinger. The case they thought was solved has not been solved. And can it be solved when Rust has so little faith in the world as a place where things are solved or finished.....

Its so crucial as they start to suggest this thematically. There is an indication of the ending in the beginning. Time is not linear and neither is the series. Thats the whole point. Its all over Rusts ramblings!

Do we look for conspiracy or ignorance in this action where posts get deleted without a word? Its a form of censorship, whatever it is.

You post probably got deleted because you keep on insisting on taking about the 'relevance' of certain things. This suggests you've watched ahead of UK pace. Don't spoiler it if you've watched ahead. If you're purely speculating then say so. Nothing worse than potentially getting a show like this spoilered
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No,Im only on episode 5.
    I just think its an odd contradiction for a detective,who makes a living from solving crimes, to say "this is a world where nothing is solved". Its ominous and I think the writer intended it so.

Same as the way the petro chemicals plant is an ominous presence in the distance of so many scenes. Each episode brings it closer into view and by episode 5 we get a closeup.Some very clever visuals going on.
  • Options
    Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on episode 2 so far, still not sure I like it enough to keep going but will try another episode or two.
    Knowing it's eight episodes might just persuade me to watch the lot.
    I have an extensive list of shows that I watch and keeping up with everything can be hard. A 13/22 series I was "meh" about wouldn't have made the cut but 8 might.
    Don't get me wrong I am enjoying it and now used to the forwards/backwards format, just not over enjoying so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm on episode 2 so far, still not sure I like it enough to keep going but will try another episode or two.
    Knowing it's eight episodes might just persuade me to watch the lot.
    I have an extensive list of shows that I watch and keeping up with everything can be hard. A 13/22 series I was "meh" about wouldn't have made the cut but 8 might.
    Don't get me wrong I am enjoying it and now used to the forwards/backwards format, just not over enjoying so far.

definitely watch up to 4 at least
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good episode.
    So Rust really is persuading folk to kill themselves in jail. Is he doing this out of some sense of justice or vengence or what?
    Maggie was a right cow to go and start a fight between Marty and Rust. They might not have been best friends but Marty was Rust's only friend.

liked the bit at the end where Marty checked his gun before going for a drink. Was he taking it for self protection or is he planning on doing something?
    This scene was in 2012 after the interviews right?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    liked the bit at the end where Marty checked his gun before going for a drink. Was he taking it for self protection or is he planning on doing something?
    This scene was in 2012 after the interviews right?

Yes it was