Stephen King IT remake

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know if they have aborted the plans to remake King's novel for the big screen? A few years ago there was talk of doing a more faithful version, but I've not heard anything since.

Personally i think a faithful remake would be great, because alot of the scariest moments of the book were cut from the TV movie of 1990, which was good, mainly because of Tim Curry, but nowhere near as terrifying as the novel.. Like the creepy leper in the house on Neibolt St, and the enormous prehistoric type bird. Obviously there's some things that they couldn't put in it, like the weird group sex scene :o I do feel that a big movie version could be great though.

The TV movie captured the eeriness of Derry, but not the deeply unsettling sexual undertones of the book, that really added to a sense of horror.

Comments

• FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope so, but I'd be worried about it crapping on IT's legacy with all the recent remakes scoring low from critics.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's such a great story, it deserves a proper film version. But most of all it needs a good director. But who? there aren't many film directors that are great at storytelling anymore. Maybe Spielberg ? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think they could make it worse than the original movie, which wasn't bad.

The latest line of horror movies leave me underwhelming and don't scare me like back in the day'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think someone like William Friedkin (French Connection, The Exorcist)could do wonders with it, but he's quite old now. His kind of documentary, visceral, style is what's needed.

Also, people always talk abut pennywise, who was certainly scary, but in the book the creepy, and paedophilic leper/tramp, is as much an apparition as the clown.
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh i hope they do, the casting of the tv series was atrocious
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Well as a 12 year old when watching IT it was frightening to watch with my pal at the time she screamed the place down! Think I read it first though.

I would not mind a remake, it was a tad too muhahaa pantomime at the
    time...I have rewatched it, in fact I have IT..:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Well as a 12 year old when watching IT it was frightening to watch with my pal at the time she screamed the place down! Think I read it first though.

I would not mind a remake, it was a tad too muhahaa pantomime at the
    time...I have rewatched it, in fact I have IT..:)

Like you I watched the TV movie, and thought it was scary, except the spider :D
    But when I read the book, it was much scarier than the film, and more adult. The scene with Patrick Hocksetter and the fridge at the tip, full of flying leeches! That still makes me shudder. The book probably has too many great scenes for a film to do it justice.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many Stephen King adaptations don't do him justice. I see that Gerald's Game is to be made into a movie now which seems kind of a bizarre choice for a film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the book people it's a masterpiece.
  • nathanpaynenathanpayne Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Stephen King's IT is (still) being remade.

It was just recently moved across to New Line Cinemas instead of a plain Warner Bros. project. New Line Cinemas are getting back into the Horror niche and they are aiming at horror movies like Insidious, Conjuring instead of what they used to be known for, which was slashers like Scream, Nightmare on elm street.

I would love for James Wan (Insidious, Conjuring) to take the role of director with IT but I am sure he wants to focus on non-horror movies for now... which is a shame!

more info: http://www.trailer-geek.com/movie/it-movie-stephen-king/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope it's not a shoddy adaptation, and that it focuses on the characters, and extracts the real horror of the book, not just a few jump scare here and there.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They float,' it growled, 'they float, Georgie, and when you’re down here with me, you’ll float, too–'

Properly messed with my head when I first read the book.

From back when King was still a good writer.
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    They float,' it growled, 'they float, Georgie, and when you’re down here with me, you’ll float, too–'

:o:o:o King is still a great writer!

I haven't read Doctor Sleep yet, but I have read 11/22/63 and Joyland both great books! Although, 11/22/63 was the better of both.

Under the dome is a good book too, the TV show isn't bad either.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't read Doctor Sleep yet, but I have read 11/22/63 and Joyland both great books! Although, 11/22/63 was the better of both.

I gave up after Bag of Bones or Bag of Shite as I like to refer to it. Read everything up until that point but so abysmal was BoB that I turned my back on him.

He`s dead to me! :D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He was on a BBC interview a year or two back and it was implied that he was almost blind.
  • CeeCee87CeeCee87 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I've just seen the advert for the tv movie of IT on the freeview True Entertainment channel. Its being shown in two parts over this Saturday and Sunday night for those who are interested.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of the most chilling moments of the book IT is when the wheezy kid ( can't remember his name) is under the porch in the abandoned house on Neibolt St, and the face of the leper(who is really Bob grey the clown, in another guise) pops up at the window, and starts to climb out, making nasty sexual suggestions to the kid. The terror, and claustrophobia of that scene in the book still gives me chills, real nightmare scenario.:o Obviously they had to cut that from the TV movie.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IT started a young seth green,plus harry anderson and late great John Ritter,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

Do you remember that bit in the book when Beverly goes back to her house 27 yrs later, and the old woman's there ( IT in another guise) ? They had this in the TV movie but truncated. In the novel it's horrifying when she watches the old woman change from being sweet looking to a vile hag, with yellow teeth. And then she realizes she's actually drinking excrement not tea!!:o eww!

The entity also taps into her fear of sexual abuse from her father. That's mainly what the novel is all about isn't it? this thing that latches onto your darkest fears and realises them!!
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    He was on a BBC interview a year or two back and it was implied that he was almost blind.

He isn't blind, or going blind.

http://stephenking.com/faq.html
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    I feel like the only person who really found this film too long and boring. Maybe I just did not get it because I was more slasher/gore horror back then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistygal wrote: »
    I feel like the only person who really found this film too long and boring. Maybe I just did not get it because I was more slasher/gore horror back then.

You should read the book, much more scary and loads more in it than the movie. The book makes the movie look like a Disney kids film, much more dark and nasty in places too:o
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The book is horrific compared to the TV film...if they remake his they have to include all the nasty bits too....and Tim Curry as Pennywise is a must :D
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read this book and it has the potential to be made into a great film but I think it would maybe work better as a tv mini series due to the length. If they did it as a 2 hr film then they would have to cut out some huge chunks. I also think pet sematary had the potential to be fantastic but the movie was horrific