Options

Bottom - Richie and Eddie (appreciation thread)

Comments

• Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Just rewatched the Birthday episode, Rik Mayall is absolutely outstandingly funny in that episode :p
  • Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Just rewatched the Birthday episode, Rik Mayall is absolutely outstandingly funny in that episode :p

"Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear Ritchie, happy birthday to me".

Yeah I love that episode, I think that was Hedgehog and Spudguns first episode.
  • Options
    ToxicBlossomToxicBlossom Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    God I have just been laughing out loud reading this thread! Was and still am a HUGE fan of Bottom. I grew up with it as a kid and Rik and Ade still remain my comedy heroes.

Some Bottom moments that have literally had me crying laughing:

- When Richie dresses up as Kilroy and falls down the stairs.

"Hello and... good morning. Should traffic wardens... be armed? In a stu-blughhh!" *Falls and lands with head in the toilet*

His face when he falls is just priceless :D

- "Gold... Frankenstein... and Grr. And you're all wearing crowns... And I'm a virgin!" God that bit had me in stitches. That's just genius comedy writing.

- When the Ferris wheel they're stuck on snaps after Richie sits down.

"Don't you DARE call me overweight young man." *SNAAAAAAP*

I must have watched that about twenty times over because I found it so hilarious.

- In Guest House Paradiso where Richie is stuck in the cupboard and is trying to find the tape, thinks he has it but finds a vibrator instead and can't switch it off. My ribs were killing after watching that bit, I couldn't breathe from laughing so hard.

- In an Arse Oddity, Richie talking numerous times about Dave the parrot had me creasing.

(After the bird has died) "Good to see the back of that little s**t anyway."

(When they're burying Dave in the coffin) "Toss it in any old how, who gives a f**k it's not me."

- The chess game in 'Culture' when Eddie gets infuriated with Richie and flattens the clock :D

God I love this show so much. Shame that they didn't bring it back :( But I suppose maybe it's best that things as good as this be left alone. Think I'm going to watch some Bottom tonight!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The funniest episode for me is the one where they go on a trip to the hotel and Eddie has to dress up as Richie's wife. I pissed myself laughing at that episode. I think I may have already commented about that fact earlier in the thread!

"Careful with me jugs, don't pop 'em!"
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the gasman arrives and Richie opens the door and just says Gaman Gasman Gasman in that crazed manic voice only he can do.

And then the Gasman says "do you have someone who looks after you?"

I dont know, it just always cracks me up.
  • Options
    Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol!!!! "Lovely trousers.... I know a story about a pair of trousers that lasts about 15 minutes"

In that same episode when the Gas Man tries to leave and Eddie with his cricket bat behind his head says with restraint "would you like a cup of tea?"

That whole episode is superb I must say.

"That's funny..."
    "what seems to be the problem...officer"
    "this meter reading... 0 - 0, 0-0, 0 0 0"
    "that's right...we don't use Gas"
    "what do you mean you don't use Gas"

"Put the Kettle on...
    "put the kettle on?
    "on the floor...

"You don;t get conductors on a bus!"
  • Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve1977 wrote: »
    lol!!!! "Lovely trousers.... I know a story about a pair of trousers that lasts about 15 minutes"

In that same episode when the Gas Man tries to leave and Eddie with his cricket bat behind his head says with restraint "would you like a cup of tea?"

That whole episode is superb I must say.

"That's funny..."
    "what seems to be the problem...officer"
    "this meter reading... 0 - 0, 0-0, 0 0 0"
    "that's right...we don't use Gas"
    "what do you mean you don't use Gas"

"Put the Kettle on...
    "put the kettle on?
    "on the floor...

"You don;t get conductors on a bus!"

Ello, ello, ello what's that dead body doing under there, dam.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Bottom and have really enjoyed reading these posts, too many favourite bits to mention but Richie opening the door and fluttering his eyes as he gently calls for `birds....` to come to his party is priceless. Also when he thinks he is the Mother of God, `THAT`S why I couldn`t get a shaaaaag!`.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dating Agent: Now, Mr..... Hitler?
    Eddie: Yes.
    Dating Agent: Oooh... any relation?
    Eddie: (looking confused) .........I've got a mother......
    Dating Agent: No, I mean Adolf Hitler.
    Eddie: Yes, that's her!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lou Kelly wrote: »

Brilliant :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I love Bottom and have really enjoyed reading these posts, too many favourite bits to mention but Richie opening the door and fluttering his eyes as he gently calls for `birds....` to come to his party is priceless. Also when he thinks he is the Mother of God, `THAT`S why I couldn`t get a shaaaaag!`.

I agree, those two bits are priceless. Rik plays him absolutely outstandingly.
  • Options
    Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »

Can you see clearly?
    No, thats why I wear glasses.

Also, when that posh guy goes to order some bottles of champaigne from the shop and Rik Mayall chases him off saying "Bloody students" and the guy must be 50 lol

"Who shall I make it payable too?"
    "Mr. Hitler esquire...
    "Any relation?"
    "YES!"

lol

Also....

"cya eddie"
    "yeah, bye john"
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always got the impression they didn't like each other in real life. Its the only show to make me laugh through out so many funny moments.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always got the impression they didn't like each other in real life. Its the only show to make me laugh through out so many funny moments.

I don't think they could do what they did for as long as they did if they didn't like each other. You only have to look at some of the ad-libbing in the live shows to see how much they play off each other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think they were close friends - I know I read that when Rik had his accident, Ade was at the hospital every day, and was very upset...Ade has also talked of Rik's Mum saying they made so much noise with their laughing and messing around, when they used to get together at her house.
  • Options
    DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    I think in real life, like any friends, they would have had times of disagreement.

My fav Bottom moments were any time they tried to talk to girls. "Birds, o Birds"

and the Halloween pants shitting was lol
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I cant believe it hasnt been mentioned on here, but Bottom is on Netflix.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do we know if they have agreed to do another series yet
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They started writing but stopped because it wasn't working.

So, no, they're not going to do another series together.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a430895/rik-mayall-ade-edmondson-scrap-new-bottom-series-hooligans-island.html
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I cant believe it hasnt been mentioned on here, but Bottom is on Netflix.

I noticed that as well actually. They just need to get Filthy, Rich and Catflap on there as well I reckon.

They did, but it fell through.
  • Options
    DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Rick and Ade have made quite a career from what is playing basically the same characters in several shows and good on them.

Really the only one from the 80s alternative comedy movement who has really evolved over the decades is Hugh Laurie. everyone else is doing the same old stuff and relying on nostagia to get a gig. I used to love Ben Elton and his early work is still some of my fav but he has long since run out of ideas.
  • Options
    PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Been watching my box-set and I think this has to be my favourite exchange in the show.

Richie:I spilt blood for the likes of you! My appendix are up there on the top of Mount William!
    Mrs. Potato: And for what? For a few farmers and a flock of penguins, and to secure another term of office for that Margaret Thatcher.
    Richie: Oh, a Bolshie eh? A pink-o? Eh-d-d-d-d, eh-d-d-d-d-interesting isn't it? Eh-d-d-d-d-d-interesting! That you women never muck in when it comes down to a scrap.
    Mrs. Potato: Interesting in what way?
    Richie: Er... well, well, well, it's interesting because A, I said it and anything I say is interesting per se, and B, er, well, there isn't a B because the A was so great!
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you wonder why they do it, really. dont you?

i mean, mines bigger than that, and mines tiny......
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I've always liked it. I just bought all three series the other day for a few quid and I've been laughing the same way I did years ago the last time I saw them. Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson really made that outrageous, surreal, cartoonish stuff an art form. I liked the first couple of Bottom live shows but after that I didn't find them very funny, and I didn't like Guest House Paradiso but the TV show will always be one of my favourite sitcoms.

On a sidenote, I was watching Digger the other day and I forgot that Richie had heart attack which was strange to see knowing that's how poor Mayall died in 2014.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been watching it on Netflix. It's hilarious, my mum wouldn't allow me to watch it as a young kid it was "too silly"