Options

Terrible diction...

Comments

• Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To add some balance, Morrissey must have the best diction ever. Every word, whether on record or sung live is crystal clear.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sia's is one of the worst but I actually think it's intentional. I think she does it as it's sort of become her trademark along with the way her voice cracks on some records. There's moments on the new album when she sounds very clear and even uses a different tone, a more "pop" tone, so she can do it if she wanted to.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand Sia now but I couldn't when I first discovered her five years ago. I guess you will get used to it.

For me the worst has always been Leona and I think this is one of the main reasons for her initial success not continuing.
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Charlie Simpson. The only performer I know who has a made a career out of mumbling.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thom Yorke can mumble a bit at times.

I agree that Morrissey's diction is immaculate.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 'when you believe' by whitney and mariah, i still cant actually pick out what they are singing towards the end when they are both singing:

They don't always happen when you ask
    And it's easy to give in to your fears
    But when you're blinded by your pain
    Can't see the way, get through the rain
    A small but still, resilient voice
    Says hope is very near, oh

It took for Leon Jackson's version for me to actually pick out the lyrics
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet Jackson - All For You
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 'when you believe' by whitney and mariah, i still cant actually pick out what they are singing towards the end when they are both singing:

They don't always happen when you ask
    And it's easy to give in to your fears
    But when you're blinded by your pain
    Can't see the way, get through the rain
    A small but still, resilient voice
    Says hope is very near, oh

It took for Leon Jackson's version for me to actually pick out the lyrics
    Agreed. Both singers have always had pretty amazing diction for their style of singing, but the melisma and runs are too distracting in this song to hear a lot of what they're singing.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This George Ezra chap who's around at the moment has pretty bad diction in his song 'Budapest'. The chorus is fine but the verses are pretty incomprehensible.

"My ass in Budapest, man, my head in treasure chest, golden grand piano, my beautiful course meal, you, ooooo you, ooooo a-blivvvy-oh"
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I find Sia very overated as a songwriter and a singer. I'm not sure why everybody is gushing all over her all of a sudden :confused: The only song of hers I really appreciate is 'Breathe Me', and I say that as a massive fan of Six Feet Under :D

I use to find Ellie Goulding pretty difficult to listen too and understand, but she has grown on my considerably these past few months. I don't even notice now (although I wasn't really impressed with her at Glastonbury.)
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread made me think of this Ronnie Barker sketch :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0nFQgRApY
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    How did I forget Ellie Goulding? It took me ages to like her music but she doesn't have great diction.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana Vickers.........."Corned Beef" anyone?!!
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RaiseItUp wrote: »
    I've been enjoying Sia's album this past week, there are some great pop songs on there. However, I cannot understand half of what she's actually singing.

Her diction is some of the worst I've ever heard.

Are there any other bands/artists who have dreadful diction when they sing? Does it add to the song or detract from it?

Op you read my mind. I am just listening to it now. She's a brilliant talent and a lovely person but you're right her diction is awful. I do love this album though. It's superb.
  • Options
    TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    icanboogie wrote: »
    Janet Jackson - All For You

Leave Janet Alone
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread reminds me of a review I read that said Kylie enunciates as if she's been confronted with the English language for the first time. Love Kylie but I thought it was hilariously accurate. I think it was about Impossible Princess.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Dylan can be difficult.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    How did I forget Ellie Goulding? It took me ages to like her music but she doesn't have great diction.

My dad thinks she sings a song about Elephant and Castle instead of Anything Can Happen!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    you, ooooo you, ooooo a-blivvvy-oh"

Yeah, I was like, WHAT?!?! when I first heard it. It took me several listens to realize that it was "I'd leave it all".
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Ariana Grande is another one. Problem is quite bad but especially Break Free, I couldn't understand a word the first time I heard it.

I love Ariana's songs but sometimes I can't figure out what she's singing. In Break Free, the whole second verse was like mumbling, can't get a word in. The Way also is another song where I have no idea what she is saying in verses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet jackson is a great example. Ive still no idea what most of the lyrics to 'doesnt really matter'
    Doesnt really matter what the whoobedeed com im a whob beedeeen dooby doob doob doob beeedeen
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Janet jackson is a great example. Ive still no idea what most of the lyrics to 'doesnt really matter'
    Doesnt really matter what the whoobedeed com im a whob beedeeen dooby doob doob doob beeedeen

Strange. I've never had any problem understanding Janet. Doesn't Really Matter is one my favourite songs though so I've sang it so many times the lyrics are burned in :D
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lmao I love Janet but I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Janet too, but her diction does leave a lot to be desired in some songs. The best things in life are free is another one of hers that she just mumbles incoherently in
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most singers these days have dreadful diction, it;s one thing that we made sure we worked on and our singer has great diction (Yes, I know I'm biased, but I still think it's true)
    One of the things that grates on me when I hear singers is the H that they insist on putting into words, so that You becomes Hugh, I becomes High, and becomes Hand etc, it can sound so stupid....High Love Hugh - fine, so who is Hugh and why does he make you high?
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

Omg can hear it in my head just like that!!