Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2012/13

Comments

• 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio 5 Live

Premier League
    Everton v Fulham - Ian Brown
    Manchester City v West Ham - Ian Dennis and Mark Bowen (12:45 commentary)
    Newcastle v Liverpool - Dave Woods
    Southampton v West Brom - Alastair Bruce-Ball
    Stoke v Norwich - Jonathan Overend
    Wigan v Tottenham - John Murray and Jimmy Armfield (15:00 commentary)

Championship
    Barnsley v Hull - Will Perry
    Cardiff v Bolton - Mike Sewell
    Wolves v Burnley - Pat Murphy

League One
    Brentford v Doncaster - John Southall
    Scunthorpe v Swindon - Adam Pope

League Two
    Rochdale v Plymouth - Delyth Lloyd
    Torquay v Bristol Rovers - Andy Gillies
    Wimbledon v Fleetwood - Chris Dennis

Scottish Premier League
    Dundee v Hearts - Ian Turner
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised 5Live had no one at the Barnet game!
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,556
    Forum Member
    Steve May covered Northampton v Barnet for Five Live and Final Score.

Five Live Sports Extra
    Barnsley v Hull David Burns and Peter Swan (commentary from BBC Radio Humberside)

IRN
    Man City v West Ham Nick Walsh
    Everton v Fulham Paul Anthony
    Stoke v Norwich Steve Fleming
    Southampton v WBA Alan Lewis
    Wigan v Tottenham Shane Pinnington
  • GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester presented by Jimmy Wagg from the Etihad

Man City v West Ham - Ian Cheeseman and Nigel Gleghorn - 12.45 commentary
    Wigan v Tottenham - Paul Rowley and Phil Kinsella - 3.0 commentary on DAB
    Cardiff v Bolton - Jack Dearden and Simon Charlton - 3.0 commentary on 95.1 FM
    Bury v Yeovil - Nathan Middleton - reports
    Leyton Orient v Oldham - Graham Miller - reports
    Rochdale v Plymouth - John Gilder - reports
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 27th April - talkSPORT

Adrian Durham presenting Matchday Live from Oakwell with Ray Parlour from the Britannia Stadium and Michael Gray from the DW Stadium, followed by Matchday Exclusive and Call Collymore from St James' Park

Premier League
    Newcastle United v Liverpool - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (5.30pm commentary), with Graham Courtney at pitchside and Carl Ralley producing

Championship
    Peterborough United v Sheffield Wednesday - TBA (was going to be Kev Lawrence but he is ill with a tooth infection)

There was another late change to talkSPORT's plans today - Stan Collymore was not at St James' Park this evening, with Steve Howey coming in to co-commentate on Newcastle United v Liverpool alongside Sam Matterface. I think Howey may have appeared as an over-the-phone guest on talkSPORT in the past, but this was his debut on their live football coverage. I'm guessing this must have been a last minute thing, as had there been more notice I would have expected them to switch Michael Gray (who is local to the North-East) from his punditry role at the DW Stadium to St James' Park. Anyone listen to the game this evening? If so, how did Steve fare?

Elsewhere, Danny Kelly covered for Stan on the phone-in with a studio-based Call Kelly-more - I believe this was the first time he has hosted a post-match phone-in since his unfortunate turn of phrase regarding Rafael Benitez on one over two years ago now - followed by Football First with Ian Danter and Alvin Martin (double duty for Dants after he commentated on the early game for talkSPORT Live, but I believe this was always the plan).

Dan Freeman reported on Peterborough United v Sheffield Wednesday in the late game from the Championship in place of the unwell Kev Lawrence.
    talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Newcastle United v Liverpool - Alex Crook and Jason Euell

Another correction to the details I posted earlier - it was actually Paul Mortimer co-commentating on Newcastle United v Liverpool alongside Alex Crook rather than Jason Euell, who co-commentated on the featured 3pm game.

I think it's only the second time this season they've used three different summarisers on a Saturday - and the second time I've wrongly presumed the 3pm co-commentator would be covering the late game as per usual! :o
    BBC Radio Wales & BBC Radio Cymru

Given the relative dearth in Welsh sporting action yesterday (with Swansea City, Wrexham and Newport County all playing tomorrow, none of the regional rugby teams in action this weekend plus the Welsh Premier League football programme kicking off later than usual due to S4C television reasons), I'm a bit surprised Radio Wales and/or Cymru didn't use this opportunity to cover the final league games of the season for the two other Welsh teams in the English football set-up - Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Town. Colwyn Bay in particular had a game worth covering as they needed a result (which they got) to preserve their Conference North status.

I feel I may be repeating my moan about BBC WM not covering Tamworth last weekend but I believe this kind of game is worth sending someone to, even if the team on your patch is not one you usually report on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 27th April - Newstalk 106-108FM

Ger Gilroy presented Newstalk Sport Saturday alongside Adrian Barry

Rugby Union: Amlin Challenge Cup Semi-Final
    Leinster v Biarritz - Oisin Langan, Reggie Corrigan and Trevor Hogan (2.30pm commentary)

Rugby Union: Heineken Cup Semi-Final
    Clermont Auvergne v Munster - Dave McIntyre, Keith Wood and Bernard Jackman (5pm commentary)

Premier League (as IRN)
    Manchester City v West Ham United - Nick Walsh
    Everton v Fulham - Paul Anthony
    Stoke City v Norwich City - Steve Fleming
    Southampton v West Bromwich Albion - Alan Lewis
    Wigan Athletic v Tottenham Hotspur - Shane Pinnington
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I thought Steve did well, able to empathise from a defender's and Newcastle perspective. He rambled a bit when asked for his MOM nomination, sounded like the request for the MOM had come as a bolt from the blue. It made a change to have a Newcastle pundit on national media-Sky never seem to manage it even when hosting games at SJP eg it was Peter Reid and Jamie Redknapp(?) when they played Everton, and though Steve supported Sunderland as a youngster, he clearly wants both clubs to do well, when Chris Waddle has covered Newcastle there doesnt seem much empathy for the Toon-but then again maybe that's the way it should be, unbiased.
    Earlier thought there was a good bit of banter between Adrian Durham (good to see him so far North) and John Temple at Oakwell.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor show from BBC Berkshire today. They normally have pre and post-match coverage online but don't broadcast the commentary for contractual reasons. However, as it's a Sunday kick-off they've obviously messed up their timings or something as the whole show has been blocked! For some of us it's the only way we can listen to the coverage.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 28/4/13

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound from Fir Park on 810MW

Motherwell v Celtic - Rob Maclean, Murdo MacLeod and Stephen Craigan (commentary) with Chick Young pitchside
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 28th April - talkSPORT

Georgie Bingham presenting Sunday Exclusive from Stamford Bridge alongside Alvin Martin, followed by Call Matterface from Stamford Bridge

Premier League
    Reading v Queens Park Rangers - Nigel Adderley and Ray Houghton (1.30pm commentary), with Ian Danter at pitchside and James Dodd producing
    Chelsea v Swansea City - Sam Matterface and Alvin Martin (3pm commentary), with Ian Abrahams at pitchside and Carl Ralley producing
    Arsenal v Manchester United - Mike Bovill

Rugby Union: Heineken Cup Semi-Final
    Saracens v Toulon - Andrew McKenna (who will be presenting Full Contact from Twickenham alongside Lewis Moody between 8-10pm tonight)

World Snooker Championship 2013
    The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield - Pete Abbott

So Stan Collymore misses both of the games he was scheduled to cover this weekend. It's always good to hear Alvin Martin on co-commentary duty in his absence. Georgie Bingham has said that they'll be joining commentary on Chelsea v Swansea City at the conclusion of the match at the Madejski Stadium. I'll post confirmation later as to whether this happens or if they pick up the 3pm kick-off slightly earlier.

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Reading v Queens Park Rangers - Tom Rennie and Kevin Watson (featured 1.30pm commentary on international radio stations)
    Chelsea v Swansea City - Kevin Hatchard
    Arsenal v Manchester United - Phil Blacker and Alan McLoughlin (featured 4pm commentary on international radio stations)
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    Wigan v Tottenham - John Murray and Jimmy Armfield (15:00 commentary)

It was Paul Jewell, actually.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Kidderminster Harriers v Wrexham (Blue Square Play off Semi final 2nd leg) (1330BST KO) - Rob Phillips and Mickey Thomas (SE FM / North FM / AM / Digital TV/Radio / Online)
    Chelsea v Jackland (1500BST KO) - John Hardy and Andy Legg (SW FM)
    Newport County v Grimsby Town (Blue Square Play off Semi final 2nd leg) (1630BST KO) - Simon Davies (host) Mark Poyser and Jason Perry (SE FM / North FM / AM / Digital TV/Radio / Online) with James Pontin pitchside and post-match interviewer

BBC Radio Cymru

Kidderminster Harriers v Wrexham (Blue Square Play off Semi final 2nd leg) (1330BST KO) - Dylan Griffiths and Waynne Phillips (main commentary)
    Chelsea v Jackland (1500BST KO) - Owain 'Jelly babies'* Llyr and Iwan Roberts (SW Wales FM)
    Newport County v Grimsby Town (Blue Square Play off Semi final 2nd leg) (1630BST KO) - Eleri Siôn (host) Gareth Blainey and Osian Roberts (commentary)

The reason for the 'Jelly babies' nickname was given by Iwan Roberts, after spotting him taking a load of them from the Chelsea press room and stuffing them in his pocket.

Owain then tweeted a photo of what's on offer Here

Swansea Sound

Chelsea V Jackland - Mark Scott (commentary) (Info taken from his twitter account)
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    The FA Cup Final day schedules for talkSPORT and BBC Radio 5 Live on Saturday 11th May:

talkSPORT
    01:00
    Extra Time with Matt Forde
    06:00 Fisherman’s Blues with Keith Arthur
    08:00 The Weekend Sports Breakfast with Mark Saggers & Micky Quinn
    12:00 Hawksbee & Jacobs - Live from Wembley
    14:00 FA Cup Final Matchday Live - Manchester City v Wigan
    19:00 Call Collymore - Live from Wembley
    21:00 Football First with Ian Danter

BBC Radio 5 Live
    09:00
    Danny Baker
    11:00 Fighting Talk with Colin Murray
    12:00 5 Live Sport - Aston Villa v Chelsea in the Premier League
    15:00 5 Live Sport with Mark Pougatch - Live from Wembley
    17:00 5 Live Sport - Manchester City v Wigan in the FA Cup Final
    19:30 6-0-6 with Mark Chapman & Robbie Savage
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IRN

PREMIER LEAGUE - YESTERDAY

Reading v QPR - Sam Fleet.
    Chelsea v Swansea -Andrew Cheal.
    Arsenal v Manchester United - Guy Swindells.

HEINEKEN CUP - IRN/TALKING RUGBY
    Saracens v Toulon - Russell Hargreaves.

PREMIER LEAGUE - TONIGHT - IRN
    Aston Villa v Sunderland - Clive Edwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 28th April - Newstalk 106-108FM

Joe Molloy presented Newstalk Sport Sunday

Premier League
    Reading v Queens Park Rangers - Connor Morris and David Connolly (1.30pm commentary)
    Chelsea v Swansea City - Andrew Cheal (as IRN)
    Arsenal v Manchester United - Dave McIntyre and Kenny Cunningham (4pm commentary)

Gaelic Football: Allianz Football League Division Two and One Finals
    Derry v Westmeath (D2) and Dublin v Tyrone (D1) - Colm Parkinson

To clarify something from yesterday, talkSPORT did provide full commentary on Reading v Queens Park Rangers (despite it sounding like an absolute stinker, easily the worst game - both on paper beforehand and as things turned out - they've had to cover this season) before joining commentary on Chelsea v Swansea City in progress at about 3.20pm in the 19th minute of the game.

I particularly enjoyed Sam Matterface and Alvin Martin's commentary on the latter match. Both of them plus on-site presenter Georgie Bingham at half-time really conveyed the reception that Bobby Tambling received when he was introduced to the crowd at the break and the effect this had on the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge in the second half. I feel other commentary teams may have glossed over this but that they didn't and discussed it at length in their broadcast really added to my enjoyment of the game (I must admit I was hoping Frank Lampard would equal or break Bobby's all-time Chelsea scoring record in front of him as it would have been very fitting). Credit also to Match of the Day 2 for making sure Bobby's half-time ovation was kept in their edit of the game.

On a general note, and I know I always say this about him whenever he covers live games, but Alvin Martin is such an enjoyable listen on co-commentary. He reads the game really well, is erudite and has a nice sense of humour too. Let's hear more of him in the commentary box please talkSPORT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 28th April - BBC One (Midlands)

Late Kick Off

Manish Bhasin presented alongside Steve Froggatt and Michael Johnson

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Burnley - Mark Regan and Paul Franks (BBC WM)
    Millwall v Nottingham Forest - Colin Fray (BBC Radio Nottingham)
    Leicester City v Watford - Ian Stringer (BBC Radio Leicester)
    Burton Albion v Gillingham - Charles Collins (BBC Radio Derby)
    Shrewbury Town v Portsmouth - Stuart Dunn (BBC Radio Shropshire)
    Notts County v Coventry City - Colin Slater (BBC Radio Nottingham) on the County goals, Clive Eakin (BBC Coventry & Warwickshire) on the City goals
    Wycombe Wanderers v Port Vale - Lee Blakeman (BBC Radio Stoke)
    Blackpool v Derby County - Ed Dawes (BBC Radio Derby)
    Ipswich Town v Birmingham City - Richard Wilford (BBC WM)

Manish voiced clips of Cheltenham Town v Bradford City after the Burton Albion game before previewing the League Two Play-Offs. Rego and Franksy's commentary was heard as part of Laura May McMullan's report on the demise of Wolves, while Colin Fray's commentary was used during Natalie Jackson's latest "Access All Areas" piece with Forest and Billy Davies. The other feature saw McMullan profile Ollie Marland, a recently-released Port Vale apprentice who is now embarking on a singing career (this was actually better than it sounds, with it documenting life after football for unsuccessful trainees).
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,842
    Forum Member
    Sunday 28th April - BBC One (Midlands)

Late Kick Off

Manish Bhasin presented alongside Steve Froggatt and Michael Johnson

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Burnley - Mark Regan and Paul Franks (BBC WM)
    Millwall v Nottingham Forest - Colin Fray (BBC Radio Nottingham)
    Leicester City v Watford - Ian Stringer (BBC Radio Leicester)
    Burton Albion v Gillingham - Charles Collins (BBC Radio Derby)
    Shrewbury Town v Portsmouth - Stuart Dunn (BBC Radio Shropshire)
    Notts County v Coventry City - Colin Slater (BBC Radio Nottingham) on the County goals, Clive Eakin (BBC Coventry & Warwickshire) on the City goals
    Wycombe Wanderers v Port Vale - Lee Blakeman (BBC Radio Stoke)
    Blackpool v Derby County - Ed Dawes (BBC Radio Derby)
    Ipswich Town v Birmingham City - Richard Wilford (BBC WM)

Manish voiced clips of Cheltenham Town v Bradford City after the Burton Albion game before previewing the League Two Play-Offs. Rego and Franksy's commentary was heard as part of Laura May McMullan's report on the demise of Wolves, while Colin Fray's commentary was used during Natalie Jackson's latest "Access All Areas" piece with Forest and Billy Davies. The other feature saw McMullan profile Ollie Marland, a recently-released Port Vale apprentice who is now embarking on a singing career (this was actually better than it sounds, with it documenting life after football for unsuccessful trainees).

Caught a bit of the WM phone in whilst coming out of the Shrews v Pompey game, Franksy says they will be in Wolves overdrive this week, trying to get to the heart of the debacle at Molineux. Have they had any of the powers that be on the phone in do you know? I know Moxey is getting a pasting in the press but its not just him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 29th April - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: Monday Night Feist Night alongside Matt Holland

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Sunderland - Ian Danter

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Sunderland - Piers Edwards and Paul Mortimer

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross presenting The Sports Bar and The Goalzone from Villa Park alongside Ian Taylor

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Sunderland - Tom Ross and Pat Heard (8pm commentary in Birmingham)

BBC WM

Mark Regan presenting WM Sport from Villa Park

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Sunderland - Rob Gurney and Mark Regan (8pm commentary on 95.6FM and DAB), with Richie Anderson talking to the fans outside Villa Park

Speedway: Elite League
    Coventry Bees v Wolverhampton Wolves - Mike Taylor and Wayne Roberts (commentary on BBC Coventry & Warwickshire, BBC WM's online stream and the BBC Sport website)

Shrewn, WM have interviewed Jez Moxey on a few occasions during the second half of the season - he joined Franksy after a live Wolves commentary in February and he also spoke to Pete Morgan @ Breakfast a couple of weeks ago. I think they may have had Steve Morgan on in the past, although I am not a regular listener to The Football Phone-In with Franksy so others will be more qualified to answer your question. I personally prefer Free Radio 80s' Monday and Friday night phone-ins with Tom Ross, which have provided comprehensive coverage of the issues at Birmingham City and Coventry City, but have not tackled the issues at Wolves to the same extent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Dennis, Alan Green & Robbie Savage at Villa Park for 5Live
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds, and official websites of Huddersfield Town and Bradford City
    host: Gareth Jones at Ashton Gate
    Cheltenham Town versus Bradford City (103.9 FM, AM and DAB, and oficial Bradford City website)
    commentator: Dave Fletcher
    summariser: Wayne Jacobs

(92.4, 95.3 and 102.7 FM, and official Huddersfield Town website)
    Bristol City versus Huddersfield Town
    commentator: Paul Ogden
    summariser: Kieran O'Regan
    Leeds United versus Brighton and Hove Albion
    reporter: Katherine Hannah

The Pulse
    Cheltenham Town versus Bradford City
    host and commentator: Tim Thornton
    summariser: Ian Ormondroyd

Yorkshire Radio (DAB), Minster FM* and official Leeds United website
    Leeds United versus Brighton and Hove Albion
    host: Michael Weadock
    commentator: Thom Kirwin
    summariser: Peter Lorimer
    reporter: Jonny Buchan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 30th April - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off alongside Ray Houghton

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final Second Leg
    Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund - Graham Beecroft

Championship
    Millwall v Crystal Palace - Warren Haughton

Earlier on Keys & Gray:

Rugby Union: British & Irish Lions 2013 Squad Announcement
    The Hilton Syon Park, London - Andrew McKenna and Shane Williams

talkSPORT took a clean audio feed of the announcement from 11am (after going to their hourly news bulletins early), which was compered by Alex Payne from Sky Sports News, with Lions tour manager Andy Irvine announcing the squad and Lions manager Warren Gatland announcing the captain.

UEFA.com

Rob Daly presenting Matchday Live alongside Ian Danter, Steve Wyeth and Andy Brassell

Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund - Steve Wyeth and Andy Brassell (commentary)
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 30th April - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off alongside Ray Houghton

Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund - Graham Beecroft

Championship
    Millwall v Crystal Palace - Warren Haughton

Earlier on Keys & Gray:

Rugby Union: British & Irish Lions 2013 Squad Announcement
    The Hilton Syon Park, London - Andrew McKenna and Shane Williams

talkSPORT took a clean audio feed of the announcement from 11am (after going to their hourly news bulletins early), which was compered by Alex Payne from Sky Sports News, with Lions tour manager Andy Irvine announcing the squad and Lions manager Warren Gatland announcing the captain.

UEFA.com

Rob Daly presenting Matchday Live alongside Ian Danter, Steve Wyeth and Andy Brassell

Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund - Steve Wyeth and Andy Brassell (commentary)

Hi Difference. I can't find the commentary on Uefa.com... any chance of a link?
    Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Difference. I can't find the commentary on Uefa.com... any chance of a link?
    Cheers

http://www.uefa.com/live/match-centre/cup=1/season=2013/day=12/session=1/match=2009611/popout/audioplayer.html

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2013/matches/live/index.html?day=12&session=1&match=2009611

With a bit of luck one of those two links will work for you, although you might need to click the arrow on the left of the first link. Enjoy the game, the pre-match hour on UEFA.com has been really listenable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    West Ham vs Newcastle at 3pm on Sat. Slightly odd choice, Norwich/Villa, West Brom/Wigan or Spurs/Soton all possible games that could have been chosen
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    West Ham vs Newcastle at 3pm on Sat. Slightly odd choice, Norwich/Villa, West Brom/Wigan or Spurs/Soton all possible games that could have been chosen

Newcastle are making the headlines because they have had two heavy defeats and are sliding down the table.

Absolute have gone for Spurs v Southampton but I agree that there is no obvious top match.