Celebrities for 2013?

Comments

• Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jiroos wrote: »
    It pains me to say it but if, as you say, the rumours turn out to be true, maybe Strictly has had its day and is not able to attract "real stars" (whatever those are) anymore.

Maybe the fact that it may be past its sell-by date will force the show to start "snooping low" (as you put it) just to save itself...to use Bruce's word: "Shame!":D

It would be strange if those are the celebs involved since last year's line up was fantastic, and full of "stars" - Jerry, Kimberley, Victoria etc :confused:
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get all this "snobbery" directed at reality TV stars.

I don't want to see them on Strictly - I prefer a celeb to have done something a bit more substantial than appear on a 'reality tv' show/tabloids to get a place on Strictly & yes a good soap actor would be more preferrable to me than someone whose just known for reality tv - if that's 'snobbery' then so be it. As has been said before the producers have as of yet not asked anyone whose main claim to fame is reality tv to take part, so it could be a case that they recognise that it would be a turn off for some viewers.
    . these people are ALL just human beings from TOWIE, X-Factor, MIC etc be sidelined? Have they got seven heads or something? And what if, for example, Mark Wright, turned out to be an amazing dancer.

Proper celebs are human beings too and we've had plenty of story arcs from them too - you don't need someone from reality tv to get a 'journey' contestant.

And what if Mark Wright turned out to be as useless as his ex girlfriend Lauren Goodger was on DOI?

Sometimes I just think its a case of pure and simple jealousy that these people, who did not ask for a show to be made so that they could star in it, have got onto TV and some have, from there, gone on to bigger things.

Oh the old 'jealousy' chestnut! I never have and never will aspire to be like someone whose become famous/notorious? from one of these so called 'reality tv shows'! I don't feel 'jealous' of anyone in public eye but if I was to feel that emotion I think I'd be more inclined to feel it towards a celeb with real talents I can admire not someone whose only claim to fame is making an annoying idiot of themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I agree with you and Topaz. I am happy he's found a role, and he seems happy too. It is a shame he probably can't do SCD or anything too strenuous on medical grounds, it must be quite frustrating, but at least he is still involved with football. Maybe he will get stronger and things might change eh?
    Pashulty wrote: »
    Yes...I think he would love the Strictly experience...and I would love to see him do it... But as you have mentioned it will be too much of a risk to his health.. and that is priority... Actually would love to see him do CIN or another Christmas special just to watch the fun he has.. Bless him.. !!!.. We sometimes forget the miracles in life... Best wishes for him always... :)
    I'd like to see him take part in a Sports Relief special against other sports celebs - I think he'd be good in another one off and would really enjoy that. I think he could also be good on 'Let's Dance'. I hope he still finds the time to to dance alongside his job with the PFA.
  • essexboyashessexboyash Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think the dislike of people from shows like TOWIE is snobbery. But they aren't really "celebs". They are just random people that got lucky for doing next to nothing. They aren't people that have devoted their life to hard work to make it where they want to be in the industry. Most are just fame hungry wannabes that saw an opportunity to make a quick buck and get their 15 minutes of fame.

Not all of them are, but a good few are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think the dislike of people from shows like TOWIE is snobbery. But they aren't really "celebs". They are just random people that got lucky for doing next to nothing. They aren't people that have devoted their life to hard work to make it where they want to be in the industry. Most are just fame hungry wannabes that saw an opportunity to make a quick buck and get their 15 minutes of fame.

Not all of them are, but a good few are

Agreed and I bet when they found out these shows were being made - it was most of the wannables who were the ones that were knocking on the producers' doors not the other way around.
  • PashultyPashulty Posts: 9,384
    Forum Member

Not all of them are, but a good few are.
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    Agreed and I bet when they found out these shows were being made - it was most of the wannables who were the ones that were knocking on the producers' doors not the other way around.

Agreed..
  • jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to see them on Strictly - I prefer a celeb to have done something a bit more substantial than appear on a 'reality tv' show/tabloids to get a place on Strictly & yes a good soap actor would be more preferrable to me than someone whose just known for reality tv - if that's 'snobbery' then so be it.

It is snobbery to me as I still don't see what doing something 'a bit more substantial' has to do with learning to dance Ballroom & Latin.:confused: It's also snobbery because Mark has gone on to do more things than TOWIE including becoming a DJ on Heart FM. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Spoony a DJ when he did Strictly as was Jason Donovan after a number of years in the wilderness?? And how did he come back to fame...oh year, through reality show I'm a Celebrity. In Mark's case however, let him never forget that TOWIE is a permanent part of his history!

As for the 'good soap actor' category, so long as Letitia Dean, Gillian Taylforth, Sid Owen, Patsy Palmer, Ricky Whittle, Tina O'Brien, Jessie Wallace, Scott Maslen & Lisa Riley met the standard, then happy days
    Topaz wrote:
    As has been said before the producers have as of yet not asked anyone whose main claim to fame is reality tv to take part, so it could be a case that they recognise that it would be a turn off for some viewers.

But Mark Wright is supposedly on some hit list, right?? Perhaps times are a-changing. Perhaps, contrary to your opinion, producers have finally tapped into the fact that a 'hunk' like Mark Wright may just attract a large number of younger female viewers who may even get interested in taking up dancing themselves...
    Topaz wrote:
    Proper celebs are human beings too and we've had plenty of story arcs from them too - you don't need someone from reality tv to get a 'journey' contestant.

'Proper celebs' (whatever they may be) are human beings but ones who are not faced with this kind of snobbery. I'm more than happy for the producers to fill the line-up with these 'proper celebs'. It just seems to me that there aren't that many beating down the producer's door. Teri Hatcher and .......???

And you do need to go to someone from reality tv to get a great arc because, remember, they are absolute nobodies with no talent or prospects when they start the show unlike these 'proper celebs' who are famous in their own right and can go back to the high paid celebrity lifestyles and not disappear into total obscurity like all reality stars.
    Topaz wrote:
    And what if Mark Wright turned out to be as useless as his ex girlfriend Lauren Goodger was on DOI?

Two words - Jerry Hall
    Topaz wrote:
    Oh the old 'jealousy' chestnut! I never have and never will aspire to be like someone whose become famous/notorious? from one of these so called 'reality tv shows'! I don't feel 'jealous' of anyone in public eye but if I was to feel that emotion I think I'd be more inclined to feel it towards a celeb with real talents I can admire not someone whose only claim to fame is making an annoying idiot of themselves.

Is it possible to truly admire someone and be jealous of them at the same time?? Hmmm...;)

What are you saying here - that nobody should have applied for these shows as it is clear that you believe anyone who did so is a fame-hungary wannabee?? This is despite the fact that nobody had a clue how successful these shows would turn out!!!

It seems to me you should be taking your derision out on the producers who dreamed up a concept which required, amazingly, human beings (aka wannabees)!:rolleyes:
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Mark Wright was only on I'm A Celeb in 2011 and the producers don't often cast people who did other "big" reality shows relatively recently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Wright was only on I'm A Celeb in 2011 and the producers don't often cast people who did other "big" reality shows relatively recently.

'Big' reality shows?? From what I've been reading here that should read "just" or "only" reality shows!
    Forum Member
    Glynis Barber has categorically announced on Twitter she ISN'T doing Strictly, but has a photoshoot for something announced in two weeks.

It'll be the ITV knock-off, but I wish she was doing Strictly- she's long been on the wishlist of mine!
    Forum Member
    'Big' reality shows?? From what I've been reading here that should read "just" or "only" reality shows!

I meant big as in other vote taking competition shows- so I'm A Celeb, X Factor, Celebrity Big Brother that sort of thing.

Not scriped reality like TOWIE, or BBC affiliates such as Masterchef or Let's Dance (which often both have future cast members in their line-up!)

Another good way of spotting who could be in Strictly is looking at who is due to appear on Mr & Mrs/ Family Fortunes. There is often two or three in the line-up who do one of those shows in the autumn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glynis Barber has categorically announced on Twitter she ISN'T doing Strictly, but has a photoshoot for something announced in two weeks.

It'll be the ITV knock-off, but I wish she was doing Strictly- she's long been on the wishlist of mine!

I posted the link below a week ago...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/5032210/michael-brandon-and-glynis-barber-stepping-out.html
    I meant big as in other vote taking competition shows- so I'm A Celeb, X Factor, Celebrity Big Brother that sort of thing.

Not scriped reality like TOWIE, or BBC affiliates such as Masterchef or Let's Dance (which often both have future cast members in their line-up!)

Another good way of spotting who could be in Strictly is looking at who is due to appear on Mr & Mrs/ Family Fortunes. There is often two or three in the line-up who do one of those shows in the autumn.

I get your point but my comment wasn't really directed at you...
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    DS are now (sort of) reporting Richard Madely and Curtis Stigers in a Reality Bites article.
    Forum Member
    DS are now (sort of) reporting Richard Madely and Curtis Stigers in a Reality Bites article.

Dickie Madely would be a dream come true for me!

I know makes Alan Partridge look subtle, but the guy seems so enthusiastic! I think he'd be a great signing- and he always said that after seeing Chloe on DOI, he'd be up for a "skill based" reality show.

Curtis Stigers would get the housewives vote, no doubt. Bit of a silver fox.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,208
    Forum Member
    Dickie Madely would be a dream come true for me!

I know makes Alan Partridge look subtle, but the guy seems so enthusiastic! I think he'd be a great signing- and he always said that after seeing Chloe on DOI, he'd be up for a "skill based" reality show.

Curtis Stigers would get the housewives vote, no doubt. Bit of a silver fox.

Wasn't Curtis Stigers one of the singing pros on Just the Two of Us that Tess presented a few years ago - didn't he partner Penny Smith

Now Penny Smith would be a great signing IMO:D
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    I'm going to repeat this. Mel Giedroyc.
    Forum Member
    Danslink wrote: »
    I'm going to repeat this. Mel Giedroyc.

You've been saying that since 2011 and we're still no closer to having her :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »

Now Penny Smith would be a great signing IMO:D

I couldn't agree more - evidenced by the fact that I was hoping she'd make last year's series!

She has a great personality and is not afraid of taking the mickey out of herself. A perfect potential partner for Anton!
    Forum Member
    I read an interview with Penny in 2010 where she revealed she'd turned down Series 1 because she didn't know how it would play out, but begged them to do it every other year and was never given the call up!
    Forum Member
    I read an interview with Penny in 2010 where she revealed she'd turned down Series 1 because she didn't know how it would play out, but begged them to do it every other year and was never given the call up!

Penny has been on the newspaper preview bit on News24 on the beeb- so hopefully the PTB may give her a chance. I think she might be a tad more entertaining than anyone from TOWIE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She contradicts herself in this 2011 interview with OK! Magazine when she says she agreed to do Series 1 "but it never actually happened". She goes on to say that it is now incredibly competitive and that she can only see herself as "The Widdy" of the group if she joined up!

http://www.ok.co.uk/lifestyle/view/33504/Interview-Penny-Smith-and-Matt-Tebbutt/
    Forum Member
    Jessica Ennis-Hill is out of the World Championships next month and is rumoured to be taking the end of the year off.

I know she has an Achilles injury, but she's made no secret recently of how much she'd like to do the show so... who knows?

Wasn't Jade Johnson on an injury related break (the year after the Olympics) when she took part ? (Although obviously Jade isn't the ideal comparison given what she blames Striclty for doing to her athletics career.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is snobbery to me as I still don't see what doing something 'a bit more substantial' has to do with learning to dance Ballroom & Latin.:confused: It's also snobbery because Mark has gone on to do more things than TOWIE including becoming a DJ on Heart FM. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Spoony a DJ when he did Strictly as was Jason Donovan after a number of years in the wilderness?? And how did he come back to fame...oh year, through reality show I'm a Celebrity. In Mark's case however, let him never forget that TOWIE is a permanent part of his history!
    It's because most of them have done have something more worthwhile in their careers than just reality tv and we all know that some of the celebs appear on Strictly that their careers have seen better days but the fact is most of them were famous for more than just reality tv. So Mark has now got a slot on Heart FM that hardly makes him a big time DJ - from what I've heard a few of his presenting gigs have been failures and whatever you think of Spoony he was at one time a well known DJ.
    But Mark Wright is supposedly on some hit list, right?? Perhaps times are a-changing. Perhaps, contrary to your opinion, producers have finally tapped into the fact that a 'hunk' like Mark Wright may just attract a large number of younger viewers who may even get interested in taking up dancing themselves...

Well we don't know if he's in the line up do we? A lot of these 'reality tv' people who are desperate to get on the show put them themselves forward.

And why pick a so called 'hunk' like Mark Wright when they can have a worthier hunk like Louis Smith who'd attract even more viewers :D It's not 'snobbery' to want someone more deserving to be given a chance!

And did it occur to you the reality tv aside that people might not just like Mark Wright - I never saw him on TOWIE but the bits I have seen of him in the media - he doesn't come across as someone whose that likeable or that I'd like to see do Strictly.

And you do need to go to someone from reality tv to get a great arc because, remember, they are absolute nobodies with no talent or prospects when they start the show unlike these 'proper celebs' who are famous in their own right and can go back to the high paid celebrity lifestyles and not disappear into total obscurity like all reality stars.

Two words - Jerry Hall
    No you don't need someone from reality tv to have an arc - and in your earlier post you were the one suggesting they weren't nobodies - that they were people who got to be on tv and we were just 'jellus' of them :rolleyes:

I never heard of Kenny Logan as I don't like rugby but to me he had one of the most interesting and touching journeys - he never became a brilliant dancer but I found it heartening to watch how he overcame his troubles with dyslexia, learnt some basic dancing and that he became a decent enough performer.

As for Jerry Hall - I didn't want her on the show to me she added nothing to it - the producers don't always get it right but that doesn't mean they should resort to the dregs of reality tv!
    Is it possible to truly admire someone and be jealous of them at the same time?? Hmmm...;)

More possible than it is to be jealous of someone that hasn't got anything that's worth being jealous off.
    What are you saying here - that nobody should have applied for these shows as it is clear that you believe anyone who did so is a fame-hungary wannabee?? This is despite the fact that nobody had a clue how successful these shows would turn out!!!

It seems to me you should be taking your derision out on the producers who dreamed up a concept which required, amazingly, human beings (aka wannabees)!:rolleyes:

The people who appear on these shows don't care what people think of them they just want to appear on tv. They are fame hungry wannabees - you only have to look at the tabloids and gossip rags - a lot of them have no self respect. I hold the producers of these silly shows in just as much contempt but we weren't discussing them.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessica Ennis-Hill is out of the World Championships next month and is rumoured to be taking the end of the year off.

I know she has an Achilles injury, but she's made no secret recently of how much she'd like to do the show so... who knows?

Wasn't Jade Johnson on an injury related break (the year after the Olympics) when she took part ? (Although obviously Jade isn't the ideal comparison given what she blames Striclty for doing to her athletics career.)

I think Jess may do the show when she retires in a few years time but certainly not now. Her priority will be to get fit for next year - her coach has already mentioned her doing the indoor season so no chance.

Becky Adlington, recently retired & currently a swimming pundit for the BBC is your sportswoman for this year take it from me.
    Forum Member
    It's because most of them have done have something more worthwhile in their careers than just reality tv and we all know that some of the celebs appear on Strictly that their careers have seen better days but the fact is most of them were famous for more than just reality tv. So Mark has now got a slot on Heart FM that hardly makes him a big time DJ - from what I've heard a few of his presenting gigs have been failures and whatever you think of Spoony he was at one time a well known DJ.

Well we don't know if he's in the line up do we? A lot of these 'reality tv' people who desperate to get on the show put them themselves forward.

And why pick a so called 'hunk' like Mark Wright when they can have a worthier hunk like Louis Smith who'd attract even more viewers :D It's not 'snobbery to want someone more deserving to be given a chance!

And did it occur to you the reality tv aside that people might not just like Mark Wright - I never saw him on TOWIE but the bits I have seen of him in the media - he doesn't come across as someone whose that likeable or that I'd like to see do Strictly.

No you don't need someone from reality tv to have an arc - and in your earlier post you were the one suggesting they weren't nobodies - that they were people who got to be on tv and we were just 'jellus' of them :rolleyes:

I never heard of Kenny Logan as I don't like rugby but to me he had one of the most interesting and touching journeys - he never became a brilliant dancer but I found it heartening to watch how he overcame his troubles with dyslexia, learnt some basic dancing and that he became a decent enough performer.

As for Jerry Hall - I didn't want her on the show to me she added nothing to it - the producers don't always get it right but that doesn't mean they should resort to the dregs of reality tv!

More possible than it is to be jealous of someone that hasn't got anything that's worth being jealous off.

The people who appear on these shows don't care what people think of them they just want to appear on tv. They are fame hungry wannabees - you only have to look at the tabloids and gossip rags - a lot of them have no self respect. I hold the producers of these silly shows in just as much contempt but we weren't discussing them.

I just think TOWIE is a novelty show - and don't regard their "stars" as celebrities in the same context as an actress, sportsperson, politician etc
This discussion has been closed.