UK facing 'major' sperm shortage

ThePerfectOneThePerfectOne Posts: 20,466
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The UK is facing a major sperm shortage that may be tempting fertility clinics to accept poorer quality sperm, the British Fertility Society (BFS) warns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28061263

Would you donate ? i would but i am shy :blush:

Comments

• sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to read the W**kers thread. Plenty of ideas on how to get some on there ;)
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    The UK is facing a major sperm shortage that may be tempting fertility clinics to accept poorer quality sperm, the British Fertility Society (BFS) warns.

Why would you be shy about donating sperm? It's not like anyone would watch you masturbate.
  • marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might donate. Will they pay me?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't - although at 41 I'm too old anyway.

The lack of guaranteed anonymity would be very offputting.

Just as a matter of interest, can the Child Support Agency chase spem donor Fathers for maintenance, does anyone know ?
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »

Just as a matter of interest, can the Child Support Agency chase spem donor Fathers for maintenance, does anyone know ?

I doubt that they would do that. It's pretty annonymus I guess. Otherwise, nobody would be willing to donate, if people knew they would have to pay child support or whatever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    I might donate. Will they pay me?

No, although you can get expenses of up to £35.

So not only is there no anonymity, but you don't even get paid for your efforts. No wonder they're struggling.

link
    Sperm donor payment - Payment of donors is prohibited. As a sperm donors you can receive compensation of up to £35 per clinic visit, to reasonably cover any financial losses incurred in connection with the donation, with the provision to claim an excess to cover higher expenses (such as for travel, accommodation or childcare).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    I doubt that they would do that. It's pretty annonymus I guess. Otherwise, nobody would be willing to donate, if people knew they would have to pay child support or whatever.

You're right. From the link I just posted:-
    Donating through a licensed UK fertility clinic

If you donate through an HFEA-licensed clinic, which must conform to strict medical, legal and ethical standards:

you will not be the legal parent of any child born as a result of your donation
    you will have no legal obligation to any child born from your donation
    you will not be named on the birth certificate
    you will not have any rights over how the child will be brought up
    you will not be asked to support the child financially.

But despite being a non person in every other respect, you do not have the right to remain anonymous.
    Forum Member
    No, although you can get expanses of up to £35.

So not only is there no anonymity, but you don't even get paid for your efforts. No wonder they're struggling.

link

LOL, what kind of expenses? :D
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's happened? Has a major sperm bank been involved in a financial scandal?
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I wouldn't donate because I don't like the idea of deliberately being an absent father. Its not a shock really that there's a shortage with no right to anonymity and people getting less and less healthy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sperm would provide babies for thousands of women, it's that powerful! ;-)
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah as long as they give me free copy of Razzle magazine then i'd be up for it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, although you can get expenses of up to £35.

link

Where is their nearest clinic to Essex?

As long as it's not like the film "delivery man" and I get a knock at the door by a load of different women claiming to be the mothers of my children haha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to read the W**kers thread. Plenty of ideas on how to get some on there ;)

We should gather them up lol
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never donate as the government could easily change the rules so that if the woman who has the baby goes on benefits they can go after the biological father to save a few quid on the benefits budget so better safe than sorry
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    I'd never donate as the government could easily change the rules so that if the woman who has the baby goes on benefits they can go after the biological father to save a few quid on the benefits budget so better safe than sorry

Child support is not taken into consideration in calculating benefits which is why some single mums could be seen as well off and some not.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they want to have a word with all those guys who manage to father 15 kids. No shortage there.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Child support is not taken into consideration in calculating benefits which is why some single mums could be seen as well off and some not.

My niece told me this a few years back. When I could not understand how she had so much money.
    Wasn't like that years ago. If you got child support it was taken out your benefits so everyone got roughly the same amount
    Forum Member
    My niece told me this a few years back. When I could not understand how she had so much money.
    Wasn't like that years ago. If you got child support it was taken out your benefits so everyone got roughly the same amount

I know it's crazy some people could be getting an extra £500 a month or more depending on how many children and fathers earnings or multiple fathers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not if you donate via a proper fertility clinic but yes if it is a private agreement.

https://www.gov.uk/legal-rights-for-egg-and-sperm-donors
    Forum Member

The CSA only chase on request from the mother there is no requirement to claim maintenance
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah, £35 in 'expenses' for a pile of nudey mags and in 20 years you too could have your life into a bad soap opera
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got buckets full of it
  • furtivecatfurtivecat Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    I know it's crazy some people could be getting an extra £500 a month or more depending on how many children and fathers earnings or multiple fathers

What?! I'm so shocked about this. I've often wondered why some single mums seem to be so well off so this explains a lot. They seem to want to know what you had for breakfast and yet don't factor child support into the equation; unbelievable.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Come again.