Options

Poor Quality Granite Worktops?

deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
Forum Member
About 2 months ago, we replaced our wooden counter tops, in our kitchen, with some dark granite ones.

We used a local company which were recommended to us by family and friends who had also used them who loved their work.

Before we took the plunge, everyone was raving to us how 'indestructible' granite work tops truly were. Some family members were even saying that you could drop a cup on it and although the cup would obviously smash, the granite work top would remain unscathed. One person even said that whilst she was trying to separate 2 frozen pieces of meat, she drove a big bread knife in between the 2 pieces of meat, with so much force, that it went right through the meat and the point of the knife hit her granite worktop and it actually bent the tip of her knife - again, her granite remained unscathed.

Not that we have been trying to 'test' how 'indestructible' our new granite worktops are but last night, as my wife was preparing a nice dinner of spag bole, as she took out some spaghetti from a long glass jar, she accidentally clipped the bottom of the jar against the edge of one of the granite counter tops (where our hob is where we cook), and took out a piece of the edge of the granite top?:o:(

Its a good few millimeters of a chip and is right on the edge of the counter top (where the top meets the side!). Now, to me, a glass jar vs a granite counter top - surely the glass jar should not have survived ?:confused: But instead, we now have a chipped counter top which was caused by a glass jar - it doesn't make sense?! She didn't even hit the jar that hard.....?

Now I am wondering if we have had some kind of poor quality granite installed instead of the real thing - is this even possible???:confused: It just doesn't seem hard wearing at all - our previous wooden counter tops were stronger than this....?!?!? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to be very careful with granite

I have the quartz sparkly top and you can't drop anything on it or cut directly on it

It needs to be polished with a special solution and cloth as well

So I would recommend you called the company to see if they can repair the chipped area..

My mum caught hers with a pan several days after their kitchen was installed, the company involved did sort it for her...

Your family member scenarios are not what to do..

Don't drop stuff on it and never cut meat directly on it without a board

Crazy
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    There is a hardened, false-granite substitute material which a lot of kitchen companies offer these days. It's much more durable and cheaper than the real thing. You can barely tell the difference - it shines the same way, feels the same.

My parents had it done a few months back. When installing, they often leave the original kitchen surface in place and wrap/heat/bend the faux-granite into place on top of it (it's only a cm thick or something).

Although I feel sorry for the OP - granite is notoriously problematic and often more hassle than it's worth. Lost count of the number of scarred/gouged granite surfaces I've seen over the years. Personally I think it should just be used for ornamental stuff like fire places, mantle pieces, etc. But maybe that's just me.

Definitely worth contacting the company who installed it and mentioning the minor contact knocking a chunk out, they may offer to repair for free.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    ...yea - will give them a call tonight and see if they can send someone round to repair it.

I was just amazed that the bottom of the glass jar would be strong enough to take a chip out from the edge of the worktop, and the jar was totally unscathed?!
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    It depends whether it's real granite or a composite made to look like granite. The worst is marble work tops and leaving a lemon on it.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that Cillit Bang is remarkably efficient at ruining them in an instant.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I've heard that Cillit Bang is remarkably efficient at ruining them in an instant.

Then firm that fitted mine gave me a kit consisting of rainbow clean, a squirty bottle and a cloth
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I've seen granite headstones in the cemetery with odd chips which have been taken out of them over the years.

I would guess the quartz it contains actually does produce a certain weakness in the material.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    I was just amazed that the bottom of the glass jar would be strong enough to take a chip out from the edge of the worktop, and the jar was totally unscathed?!
    Hard as granite is the saying but there are lots of different granites from different parts of the world and they can have different hardness levels. As well as that, one slab from a quarry can differ from the next slab according to the stress lines from when it was laid down (ie, millions of years ago) and mineral composition.

The cheaper the granite, the softer and more prone to chipping, scratching, etc it is likely to be. Look closely at the chip and make sure it is granite that has come away and not some coloured, reconstituted stone that has been used to fill a spot where there was already a flaw.

Hope your installers manage to fix it to your satisfaction.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stress risers.
    If you'd dropped the glass jar on the flat surface of the granite, it would have been unmarked, but the edge is very delicate and prone to chipping.
    If its manufactured granite, its almost equal to glass on the MOHS scale anyway, with real granite being a tad harder,

The harder things are the more brittle they become, with exceptions of course.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    Stress risers.
    If you'd dropped the glass jar on the flat surface of the granite, it would have been unmarked, but the edge is very delicate and prone to chipping.
    If its manufactured granite, its almost equal to glass on the MOHS scale anyway, with real granite being a tad harder,

The harder things are the more brittle they become, with exceptions of course.
    Moh's scale, not MOHS scale. I can never forget The Girls Can Flirt And Other Queer Things Can Do
    Talc
    Gypsum
    Calcite
    Fluorite
    Apatite
    Orthoclase
    Quartz
    Topaz
    Carborundum
    Diamond
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've worked in lots of kitchens as a plumber over the years and never seen a real Granite Worktop. All were man made composite material although sold as Granite. I would think a real Granite Stone top would be too heavy and would have natural flaws in it and uneven colours running through it, though I could be wrong.