What's the Point of The "Sing Off"?

trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can someone clear up for me how this is supposed to work?

I'm sure in the first show of this series, Simon said that this year, the judges would decide who went home, purely on how the bottom two performed in the sing off?

Clearly, though, last night, they'd all decided that it was time for Daniel to go, and really there was no point in he and Rachel singing again, because it was obvious he'd be going home.

Yet, Rachel murdered her song - again - imo and according to the rules Simon set out at the start, surely she should have gone?

One thing last night proved to me was that Rachel is now a cert for the final, as I really can't see any of the judges having the nerve to vote against her, no matter how badly she performs...She could be in the bottom two every week from now on, and I'm sure she'll still survive - unless of course she's up against Diana, but if Diana wasn't in the bottom two after last night's performance then she never will be, imo.

So Rachel and Diana for the final?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek:I agree - based on last nights 'sing off' Rachel should have been hung-drawn and quartered let alone sent home!

It was battle of the headline makers last night! And Rachel get more tabloid coverage!;)
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    I agree, the sing off is pointless....
  • PatheticFallacyPatheticFallacy Posts: 7,761
    Forum Member
    When it gets to the top 5, only public votes count, so Rachel will go then.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Really Think It Should Be Down To The Public Who Stays And Who Goes And That Includes After The Judges Have Picked The Singers Out Of The Up And Down The Country Audtions. It Shouldn't Be Up To The Judges.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it was there only chance to get rid of Daniel. He was in danger of winning what with the Chris Moyles campaign. I think they made an exception in this case. If she's in the bottom 2 next week or after this she's going. She's had numerous chances. Simon said she didn't sing the song very well and she has sung her audition song, and that was probably her best.
  • YeoYeo Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "sing off" is pretty stupid.

In Week 1 it didn't really matter because tbh, no-one cared about the girl groups.
    In Week 2 it was a joke because even though Ruth was fantastic with "Purple Rain", Simon still went to deadlock. :confused:
    In Week 3 Daniel *did* outsing Scott but I suspect Louis only sent Scott home to get one over on Simon.
    In Week 4, I suspect it was tactical voting as well. IMO, Austin outsang Rachel.
    In Week 5, Ruth outsang Laura so that was fair. :p
    Last night, there was no point because it was obvious Daniel was going home.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeo wrote: »
    The "sing off" is pretty stupid.

In Week 1 it didn't really matter because tbh, no-one cared about the girl groups.
    In Week 2 it was a joke because even though Ruth was fantastic with "Purple Rain", Simon still went to deadlock. :confused:
    In Week 3 Daniel *did* outsing Scott but I suspect Louis only sent Scott home to get one over on Simon.
    In Week 4, I suspect it was tactical voting as well. IMO, Austin outsang Rachel.
    In Week 5, Ruth outsang Laura so that was fair. :p
    Last night, there was no point because it was obvious Daniel was going home.

Absolutely - they obviously think the viewers are ever so slightly stupid to try to sell us this concept of it being a fair contest!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sing off is because they do not choose the theme of night which may not suit their voices.They can then try to redeem by singing a son of their own choice which may or may not be better for their individual style.All could be avoided if they could choose any song in any genre each week. How many series have public heard the same old songs being covered.?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is purely an opportunity for the judges to veto on the public voting.

It's nothing to do with the sing off performance, as has been proven many weeks.
  • GRAHAM2109GRAHAM2109 Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    OK! Daniel's first performance was a bit tacky - no fault of his own. The car and the dancers made it look cheesey.
    His second performance though was mind blowingly awesome. It was far more superior to Rachels dull performance.

They should do the sing offs earlier and open up phone lines again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    When it gets to the top 5, only public votes count, so Rachel will go then.

Rachel will go next week, I'm sure of that. She's bound to be in the bottom 2 (if she can't avoid bottom 2 singing that whinehouse song then no chance of avoiding the bottom 2 next week) and I think the judges will save whoever she is up against (probably Ruth the way voting has gone).
  • ProVistaProVista Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, what is the point if the judges don't base it on performance.

As soon as Daniel was in the bottom two last night I knew he was gone, regardless of how well he sang or how poorly the other person sang. The judges wanted him gone.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I thought Daniel performed better in the sing off I think Rachel is a more interesting person to keep in the show. I'm not a fan of hers but I can see why she was kept in. Neither of them could win so it's all academic really.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProVista wrote: »
    I agree, what is the point if the judges don't base it on performance.

As soon as Daniel was in the bottom two last night I knew he was gone, regardless of how well he sang or how poorly the other person sang. The judges wanted him gone.

I agree.

Rachel will be gone by the time it gets down to only public votes being counted though. I think next week is the last week that the judges decide who goes home.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trec123 wrote: »
    Can someone clear up for me how this is supposed to work?

I'm sure in the first show of this series, Simon said that this year, the judges would decide who went home, purely on how the bottom two performed in the sing off?

Clearly, though, last night, they'd all decided that it was time for Daniel to go, and really there was no point in he and Rachel singing again, because it was obvious he'd be going home.

Yet, Rachel murdered her song - again - imo and according to the rules Simon set out at the start, surely she should have gone?

One thing last night proved to me was that Rachel is now a cert for the final, as I really can't see any of the judges having the nerve to vote against her, no matter how badly she performs...She could be in the bottom two every week from now on, and I'm sure she'll still survive - unless of course she's up against Diana, but if Diana wasn't in the bottom two after last night's performance then she never will be, imo.

So Rachel and Diana for the final?

This is just the reason why I preferred the Pop Idol format.

You can't always trust the public to vote out the worst performer, but at least we'd only have ourselves to blame if we do make a clanger.

There's too much vested interest with the X-Factor format.