My Setup

the TV in my room has 2 scarts and front AV. the front AV is used by the PS2, AV1 is my STB and AV2 is DVD. i want to use the RGB output from my DVD player for the better picture (AV2 has no RGB input). it will mean i'll have to swap AV1 & AV2 over so that the DVD is on AV1. but that would mean that my STB wouldn't be in RGB mode. i have tried this before and the output from the STB when connected to AV2 isn't really noticable except when the EPG is displayed. i do watch the STB more than i use the DVD player but i guess i can survive with it around the other way round. or i could get one of those AV box things. my tv also has the front av connectors (video, audio L & audio R) on the back but i cant seem to get anything out of it, if i plug something in there, the TV wont pick it up on any of the AV channels, there's no mention of how that one works in the manual either. the manual just says it's there... :confused: :eek:

Comments

• fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending on what STB you've got, it might allow the RGB from your DVD to 'pass through' by connecting the DVD to the VCR socket on the back of the STB.

The three sockets that are on the rear of your TV will most likely be a mirror of those on the front. If you have something plugged into the front sockets, these will be automatically disabled (via microswitch) even if the item plugged into the front sockets is switched off.
  • WordLifeWordLife Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I now found out what the back AV connector does, it's actually an output! :eek:

It has Video, Audio L & R...

If you connect the cable that goes to AUX on my hi-fi, the sound from whatever tuner ch. the TV is on goes to my hi-fi, however this does not stop the sound coming from the TV. What confuses me now is wtf you would need this kind of output connector on the back of a TV for? I've never seen a TV with that kind of connector before! :eek:
  • John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WordLife wrote:
    What confuses me now is wtf you would need this kind of output connector on the back of a TV for?

You answered that yourself in your first paragraph...to connect to your Hi-Fi for better sound quality.