Sainsburys

gothergother Posts: 14,686
Forum Member
✭✭
Looks like Sainsburys entertainment will become a on demand only service from March 2014.
I just had this email.

As a valued customer of Sainsbury's Entertainment website we wanted to let you know that from March 2014 our website www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk will become completely on demand - offering music and films for downloading and films for streaming. From 28 February 2014 we will no longer accept online orders for physical products. This change is due to the rapid growth in customer appetite for on demand films, music and books.

We are aware that you have an order due from Sainsbury's Entertainment and we can assure you that we will fulfil your order.

However, we will no longer be able to accept any pre-orders for items which don't yet have a release date, or which will be released after 15 March 2014.

Sainsbury's will continue to sell DVDs, CDs, books, games and games consoles in over 1,000 stores. In addition, we are constantly expanding our Entertainment on Demand offering to bring you more films, music and books to download, or films to stream, to a range of devices.

Thank you again for shopping at Sainsbury's Entertainment.

good move or not?

Comments

• ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion good.

The future of television and music is through the Internet, not physical.

Granted, there will always be collectors, but I suspect many music collectors will prefer to browse a brick & mortar store, and Blu-Ray collectors... well, I have no idea. But since they generally buy, Amazon or Sainsbury's normal delivery would be fine.

For renting though, on-demand is simply better. As long as the video quality is excellent, and in most cases it is. There will be pixel peepers who find fault in 1080p iTunes downloads compared to Blu-Ray's, but I have yet to see one that can tell the difference in a blind test (though, the couple of times I done that with pixel peeping friend's, it was hardly scientific).

The point is that on-demand delivery is instant. If you want a film, you can watch it immediately. No wait, no need to return it, no extra fees or penalties.

Then there are subscription services like Netflix or Lovefilm, which may not offer quite as recent films, but do offer an incredible range for a very low price - especially if television binging is your thing. Sure, you could pay a fortune for every season of Dexter on Blu-Ray, or just watch the whole thing in one month under a sub (if that is possible as there are so many episodes).

Then there is the flexibility. Start watching a show on the train, and finish back home on your big screen. Or, you can even watch on holiday. iTunes is global, but many others still work with a VPN or Smart DNS. Why watch on holiday? Well, sitting at an airport for 6 hours on your stop-over can get a bit boring...

No, I think Sainsbury is doing the right thing. The future of television is online and on-demand.